Re: Cooperalls

  • I G B
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 24, 1999
      Regarding the Cooperalls thread, I remember those ugly things finding
      their way down to junior hockey.

      Cooperalls were getting major ice-time when the Portland Winter Hawks won
      the Memorial Cup in 1983.

      I seem to remember the long pants being the norm in the Roller Hockey
      International league for the first couple years. I think the only team
      that didn't wear them was the Tampa Bay Tritons. They actually wore real
      hockey pants. But anyway...

      Ian
      - - - - - - - - - -
      Sports editorials and more at:
      http://homestead.juno.com/vaughnst/index.html
      - - - - - - - - - -

      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 25, 1999
        They were ugly suckers but as a guy who hated dealing with garters for
        socks, I loved their convenience! In fact I sort of made my own make shift
        solution to this problem BEFORE Cooperalls and prior to one piece "pro sox".
        I got my mom and later on, girl friend to sew a cut off pair of sweat pants
        to my sox!

        Regarding the Cooperalls thread, I remember those ugly things finding
        their way down to junior hockey.

        Cooperalls were getting major ice-time when the Portland Winter Hawks won
        the Memorial Cup in 1983.

        I seem to remember the long pants being the norm in the Roller Hockey
        International league for the first couple years. I think the only team
        that didn't wear them was the Tampa Bay Tritons. They actually wore real
        hockey pants. But anyway...

        Ian
        - - - - - - - - - -
        Sports editorials and more at:
        http://homestead.juno.com/vaughnst/index.html
        - - - - - - - - - -

        Association (HRA)
      • I G B
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 27, 1999
          >From: "William Underwood" <wausport@...>
          >
          >They were ugly suckers but as a guy who hated dealing with garters for
          >socks, I loved their convenience! In fact I sort of made my own make
          >shift
          >solution to this problem BEFORE Cooperalls and prior to one piece "pro
          >sox".
          >I got my mom and later on, girl friend to sew a cut off pair of sweat
          >pants to my sox!

          Hey, that's pretty smart!! I guess the big complaint about the
          Cooperalls was that it didn't look right. I suppose that they were
          pretty convenient, though.

          Ian
          - - - - - - - - - -
          Sports editorials and more at:
          http://homestead.juno.com/vaughnst/index.html
          - - - - - - - - - -

        • epenaltybox
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 5, 2009
            This is mostly for Bill, but anyone feel free to jump in...

            I was looking at the 83 Nordiques media guide cover this morning and notice something unusal.

            On the cover are five stars, four of whom are in normal photo: Goulet, Stastny, et al. The fifth was Daniel Bouchard. But Bouchard was not wearing the traditional hockey shorts, he was wearing either Cooperalls or sweats. I can't really tell.

            In the west, none of the teams wore Cooperalls, so I didn't get regular exposure. When the Whalers and Flyers switched (and switched back because the when the Whalers were on the road with their green jerseys and green Cooperalls it looked like skating puke - the Bd of Govs couldn't state that as an official reason however), did some goalies on other teams switch to the Cooperalls and place their goalie pads over it?
          • DAVE SOUTTER
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 5, 2009
              In my experience, goalies never wore Cooperalls. They always wore traditional short pants.

              Dave Soutter

              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 6, 2009
                Not that I can remember.I joined them in 85.

              • Michael Poplawski
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 6, 2009
                  Without actually seeing the picture, I wouldn't expect an NHL goalie
                  from the 80s wearing long pants and their normal jersey except to
                  perhaps take shots in warmup in a game, perhaps one where they're in
                  the arena not expecting to play, like before an exhibition game or
                  something.

                  Cooperalls were never made for goaltenders, as far as I know. What the
                  system is is a girdle which holds pads close to the body, and a shell
                  worn over them and the player's other pads. It works fine, even with a
                  short shell and socks, but the long-pant look was gone at the NHL
                  level was short lived. It seems to have been adopted by major league
                  baseball players, though!

                  --
                  Michael Poplawski
                  Victoria, BC Canada

                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 7, 2009
                    If memory serves me right, the Flyers were the first NHL team to wear them. But then the Whalers got involved...

                    If you can find a phot of the Whalers on the road wearing Cooperalls, especially against the Canucks in their yellow V jerseys, you might get an idea why the NHL really banned them. I recommend that you do not view the pictures at lunch or dinner time, however, unless you want to go on a diet!

                    Morey

                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 8, 2009
                      They made it look like the midnight men's league game.but at the same time
                      they were probably VERY comfortable.I was a bit ahead of my time.back when I
                      was a midget I was LOUSY with garters so my mom did me a favor and took some
                      old sweat pants, cut them off and sewed my six to them. It was GREAT!

                    • Paul Patskou
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 9, 2009
                        One of the players who wore the Cooperalls told us that the uniforms were banned by the NHL because they weren't safe. Apparently after falling, players slid too fast on the ice if they wore the long pants instead of the regular hockey pants.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 10, 2009
                          I seem to recall that safety concern too!

                        • epenaltybox
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 10, 2009
                            Thanks Paul.

                            After posting I did some additional research and apparantly some of the goalies were complaining about the black, such as the Flyers wore. It seems the goalies couldn't see the puck at all. This is more hearsay than actual fact, to my knowledge.

                            Morey

                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 11, 2009
                              Poor babies! It makes me cry for them right into my Garth Snow shoulder
                              pads! :-)

                            • Jim Dornberger
                              Message 14 of 15 , Aug 11, 2009
                                My son played goal for a team that wore mostly black uniforms and he hated them because any shots that went near the d-men were almost impossible to pick up especially through the legs.

                                Message 15 of 15 , Aug 12, 2009
                                  I just like to get on goalies.I'm an ex d man! :-)