Hello

  • Johnathon Boschman
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 23, 1999
      Hi! I'm new to the list. I'm looking forward to learning
      lots about the National Hockey League and its great history.
      Who knows, I may even be able to contribute something now
      and then.

      I have a question that I'm not sure is appropriate for this
      list or not, but I'll ask anyways - does anyone know why
      Wayne Gretzky tucked his jersey the way he did? Was he the
      first to do such a thing?

      John
    • Joe Pelletier
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 23, 1999
        Hi Johnathon, welcome to the list.

        About Gretzky's jersey tucking - I don't know if he's the first
        or not, but the reason he did it was back in his youth he'd often
        play in leagues with players 3 or 4 years older than he was. You
        can imagine the hand-me-down jerseys were way too big for
        Wayne, so he'd tuck his jersey in on his shooting side so that
        the bulky jersey wouldn't interefere with his stick or gloves
        and impede his shot. I'd bet Walter had something to do with
        too.

        I'm sure most of you are familiar with Elston - the hockey cartoonist.
        He had a great cartoon of Gretzky's wedding where he pictured
        him and Janet at the alter with his tuxedo jacket tucked in like
        his jersey. Elston entitled the cartoon "The Tuck-xedo"

        Joe
        Hockey Over Time
        http://www.lcshockey.com/history

        Johnathon Boschman wrote:

        > From: "Johnathon Boschman" <johnathon_boschman@...>
        >
        > Hi! I'm new to the list. I'm looking forward to learning
        > lots about the National Hockey League and its great history.
        > Who knows, I may even be able to contribute something now
        > and then.
        >
        > I have a question that I'm not sure is appropriate for this
        > list or not, but I'll ask anyways - does anyone know why
        > Wayne Gretzky tucked his jersey the way he did? Was he the
        > first to do such a thing?
        >
        > John
        >
        > > This has been a Hockey History List mailing
        > <A HREF=http://www.enol.com/~liebmann/hockey/hockhist.htm>Our Homepage</A>
        > The Hockey History List is the official mailing list of the Hockey Research Association (HRA)
      • Dave Soutter
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 24, 1999
          O.K.--Since the subject of jerseys and uniforms has been the
          hot topic lately, here is my top ten
          list of the best NHL uniforms. Maybe we can have some fun
          with this.

          1-Chicago (red road)-The best by far. Classic design, good
          color scheme, great colorful logo and
          shoulder patches that are classic originals. Nice numbers,
          also.� They could improve on them only
          by outlining the nameplate letters in black. Very bold unis.
          2- Montreal (rouge/bleu road)- Again, a classic design.� The
          horizontal stripe around the
          mid-section is a throwback to the old days.� The logo is
          clean and classic also.� The newer numbers
          they have look great also.
          3- Detroit (home whites)- Some people think they are too
          plain, but that flying wheel and the
          original sleeve design (mostly red, with white numbers) is
          very sharp.
          4- Chicago (home white)- Almost a tie with Detroit.� Same
          reasons as #1.
          5- Boston (home white)- The newer jersey design with the
          vertical sleeve striping looks very
          sharp.� The spoked "B" logo woth bear head shoulder patches
          are very distictive. Black and gold
          never looked better. Better looking numbers than before,
          also.
          6- San Jose (road teal-older, original design)- I don't mean
          the ones they wear now. I mean the
          ones they wore the first three of four years.� Why did the
          Sharks re-design? The logo is
          spectacular.� Why ruin it with a chintzy-looking jersey
          design?� Sorry, Shark fans, but they need
          to go back to the originals! Don't you agree?
          7-Rangers (home white-the classics)� Those distictive
          shoulder stripes and the diagonal block
          "RANGERS" is a keeper.� ...however--
          8-Rangers (home white-Lady Liberty)--I like these too. The
          touch of grey is handsome. This is a
          good third jersey!
          9-Phoenix (home white)--Aztec Southwest comes to the NHL!�
          All original. Nothing else like it.�
          They must sell a lot of these.
          10-Dallas (road green-new design)--Good job, Stars!� The
          colors are nice, and the uniform design is
          original without looking overdone.�

          --It's hard to narrow it down to only ten.� But these are my
          favorites.� Any other opinions out
          there? --Dave Soutter

          Joe Pelletier wrote:

          > From: Joe Pelletier <fuzzymonkey@...>
          >
          > Hi Johnathon, welcome to the list.
          >
          > About Gretzky's jersey tucking - I don't know if he's the first
          > or not, but the reason he did it was back in his youth he'd often
          > play in leagues with players 3 or 4 years older than he was. You
          > can imagine the hand-me-down jerseys were way too big for
          > Wayne, so he'd tuck his jersey in on his shooting side so that
          > the bulky jersey wouldn't interefere with his stick or gloves
          > and impede his shot. I'd bet Walter had something to do with
          > too.
          >
          > I'm sure most of you are familiar with Elston - the hockey cartoonist.
          > He had a great cartoon of Gretzky's wedding where he pictured
          > him and Janet at the alter with his tuxedo jacket tucked in like
          > his jersey. Elston entitled the cartoon "The Tuck-xedo"
          >
          > Joe
          > Hockey Over Time
          > http://www.lcshockey.com/history
          >
          > Johnathon Boschman wrote:
          >
          > > From: "Johnathon Boschman" <johnathon_boschman@...>
          > >
          > > Hi! I'm new to the list. I'm looking forward to learning
          > > lots about the National Hockey League and its great history.
          > > Who knows, I may even be able to contribute something now
          > > and then.
          > >
          > > I have a question that I'm not sure is appropriate for this
          > > list or not, but I'll ask anyways - does anyone know why
          > > Wayne Gretzky tucked his jersey the way he did? Was he the
          > > first to do such a thing?
          > >
          > > John
          > >
          > > > This has been a Hockey History List mailing
          > > <A HREF=http://www.enol.com/~liebmann/hockey/hockhist.htm>Our Homepage</A>
          > > The Hockey History List is the official mailing list of the Hockey Research Association (HRA)
          >
          > > This has been a Hockey History List mailing
          > <A HREF=http://www.enol.com/~liebmann/hockey/hockhist.htm>Our Homepage</A>
          > The Hockey History List is the official mailing list of the Hockey Research Association (HRA)

        • Joseph Houk
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 25, 2000
            Sorry to come in mid-discussion, but a brief introduction is in order:

            My name is Joseph Houk, and I've been a hockey fan for about half of my
            life now. I'm a big fan of my local minor-league team, the Milwaukee
            Admirals, and their NHL affiliate, the Nashville Predators. Of course, it
            doesn't hurt that their owner and myself are both from Racine, Wisconsin,
            but that's another story.

            My first love is baseball, most of the time (see the 1994 season for
            reasons why not) and over the years I've become a great admirer of Bill
            James and his SABR-metric formulas. In recent years, I have attempted -
            with some consternation - to develop similar formulas for hockey. For the
            most part, it wasn't very in-depth, since I believed that goal scoring and
            points were a very strong measure of a player's performance in the game of
            hockey.

            Then, after finally getting on the web about six years ago, I started
            tinkering around with statistics, and have come up with a couple of
            formulas that helped answer questions about how many goals a player created
            for his team, and some adjunct items that have really taken off.

            I'll be posting a few different articles about these formulae (Goals
            Created, Goal Strength and Total Player Ratings). I'd be very happy to hear
            any comments or suggestions in regards to them.

            Thank you all - and by the way: I was born in Kenosha, Wisconsin, but I
            consider myself a Racine native. If I put down on anything where I was
            born, I say Kenosha, but if anyone asks where my hometown is, I say Racine.
            Does that make sense, in light of recent discussion?

            Joseph Houk

            P.S. - Ralph Slate is to hockey what Pete Palmer is to Baseball.

            +-- "The Houkster" -- Joe Houk -- jwhouk<at>execpc<dot>com --+
            | "Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody |
            | Homepage: <http://www.execpc.com/~jwhouk/index.html> |
          • Ralph Slate
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 25, 2000
              > Thank you all - and by the way: I was born in Kenosha, Wisconsin, but
              > I consider myself a Racine native. If I put down on anything where I
              > was born, I say Kenosha, but if anyone asks where my hometown is, I
              > say Racine. Does that make sense, in light of recent discussion?

              Hey Joseph -- glad to see you here. Did you ever get to see any
              Kenosha Flyers games in the Continental Hockey League? I went
              through their newspapers and they barely got a mention, yet Reg
              Fleming played for them for a while.

              Gotta love them cheesheads!

              Ralph

              http://www.hockeydb.com
            • Joseph Houk
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 26, 2000
                > Pete Palmer is one of the leading baseball historians/sabermaticians
                > out there. He's up p there with Bill James and a few others. Let's
                > just say Joseph's comment was one hell of a compliment.

                Thanks for the compliment, but it's largely undeserved. I'm not
                doing any abstract analysis here, I'm just doing a lot of typing...
                -----

                Ralph, that's something of what Palmer did with Total Baseball, my friend.
                Thus I stand with the compliment.

                And no I didn't go to Kenosha Flyers games. I didn't start following hockey
                until around the time of "Miracle On Ice".

                I did go to a few Admirals games in the early 1980's (Danny Lecours
                forever!), but never got a chance to see hockey before then. :(

                Joe

                +-- "The Houkster" -- Joe Houk -- jwhouk<at>execpc<dot>com --+
                | "Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody |
                | Homepage: <http://www.execpc.com/~jwhouk/index.html> |
              • Jan Carroll/JBCR Virtual Solutions
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 24 3:46 PM
                  I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Jan Carroll and I am the daughter of the late George Retzlaff, original Executive Producer of Hockey Night in Canada for the CBC.

                  If any of you are interested I have set up a memorial site for him at:

                  http://www.forsomeonewhohaseverything.com/templates/jordy_web.html

                  There are also some people that are trying to get him inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame. Will update.

                  Jan

                • Swanrvr80@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 8, 2010