Re: Bad uniforms

  • Kenneth R. Holdren
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 23, 1999
      On 10/23/99--Jill wrote:

      >Among defunct teams, the Miami Matadors (described by someone as a consitpated looking Napoleon
      straining to um, produce) were pretty awful.

      ***

      Their jersey logo had an extra feature than made it even worse. They had cross hockey sticks
      behind the Matadors. Look liked the Matador had bee wings.

      Having watched the Tiger Sharks play the Florida Everblades last night, I remember how well the
      old Hartford Whalers blue uniforms were. That is the look the Everblades have.

      Since the guy who used to own the Whalers now owns the Everblades, it is not surprising.

      =====
      Kenneth (krholdren@...)
      ---------------------------------------
      The 1999-2000 Tallahassee Tiger Sharks

      The Bite is back!!!
    • Kristopher Crook
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 23, 1999
        At 12:49 PM 10/23/99 -0700, you wrote:
        >From: "Kenneth R. Holdren" <krholdren@...>

        >Another bad one I saw was the Tulsa Oilers. They had blue and black with
        large
        >pinstripes. Haven't seen Tulsa play in a few years now, so I don't know
        if they
        >will have them.

        I don't recall such a jersey, but they did do blue and orange with big
        pinstripes in 1995-96 - those were horrid uniforms! When they dropped the
        pinstripes the next year, I thought the uniforms looked okay. I hate the
        new Tulsa Oilers logo with a passion, BTW.

        >There is a WPHL team (New Mexico, I think) that has bright green jerseys
        and red
        >pants. Looks like a walking advertisment for Christmas.

        Please don't tell me any more...

        Kris
      • LvsRattlrs@aol.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 23, 1999
          In a message dated 10/23/1999 2:45:55 PM Central Daylight Time,
          krholdren@... writes:

          > There is a WPHL team (New Mexico, I think) that has bright green jerseys
          and
          > red pants. Looks
          > like a walking advertisment for Christmas.

          It's not New Mexico they have never had red pants or green jerseys. The
          jerseys have been black and gold with some red. They do have a Charlie Brown
          stripe around the bottom. I can't remember right now who had the green and
          red combo. Odessa does have red pants but the tops are black (road) and
          Abilene had green camo, but I don't remember red pants.

          Kathy
          (the only snakes I like, play hockey)
          1999-00 Amarillo Rattlers
          Bigger, Better, Meaner
          Home of the WPHL All Star Game 2000
          http://members.aol.com/lvsrattlrs/fave/index.htm
          http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/AmRattlrs
          ICQ#13999470
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 23, 1999
            I actually kind of liked the first Canuck jersey. At least the colors were
            original. The new one is ok by me too, the killer whale has been long
            overdue to go into a logo. But the other ones, the "there is nothing wrong
            with your TV set" scheme and 2 other boring logos get my vote hands down!

            As for the Bruins, the "care bear" jersey is for the birds but their old
            gold uniforms with the Hub from the 60's would be a great home jersey! They
            ought to give it a go!

            >The Vancouver Canucks own the #1, #2, #3, and #5 (the yellow Darth Vader
            shirts were the best of
            the worst) ugliest jerseys of all time, IMHO.

            ***

            The last version of the Canucks yellow, red and back jerseys were quite
            good. Better than their
            current corporate logo look. Those yellow Darth Vader jerseys were bad.

            Another bad one I saw was the Tulsa Oilers. They had blue and black with
            large pinstripes.
            Haven't seen Tulsa play in a few years now, so I don't know if they will
            have them.

            There is a WPHL team (New Mexico, I think) that has bright green jerseys and
            red pants. Looks
            like a walking advertisment for Christmas.

            =====
            Kenneth (krholdren@...)
            Association (HRA)
          • Brian Nall
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 27, 1999
              heeheehoho

              >From: Dave Soutter <delby20@...>
              >To: hockhist@onelist.com
              >Subject: Re: [hockhist] Bad uniforms
              >Date: Sat, 23 Oct 1999 10:44:14 -0600
              >From errors-103580-5156-chivalry25 Sat Oct 23 09:45:44 1999
              >
              >On the subject of jersey designs:� Why in the world did San Jose alter
              >their jerseys a couple of
              >years back?� The original design was really nice.� The ones they wear now
              >really leave a lot to
              >be desired.� You can't read the numbers and there is too much grey. Go back
              >to the original unis,
              >Sharks.� One other comment is the trend that still continues of almost
              >every team implementing
              >BLACK into their team colors.� For years the only teams in the NHL with any
              >black were Boston,
              >Chicago and Philadelphia.� Then Vancouver did the "Big V", Pittsburgh
              >changed their colors to
              >black and gold (an improvement, I think), then the North Stars slowly added
              >a little black here
              >and a little black there.� Before you knew what was happening, the only
              >teams without any black
              >at all (except their skates) was Montreal, Toronto, The New Yorks, Detroit,
              >St. Louis and
              >Edmonton.� Enough Black already!� At least the Seals were original. I
              >didn't think those colors
              >were all that bad.� It's too bad more teams don't mix some green into their
              >scheme. The new Stars
              >sweaters are nice, and the green Coyote jerseys look good too. Please tell
              >me the Blue Jackets
              >are going to keep the black on the puck, and off the uniforms!--Dave
              >Soutter
              >
              >MoreyH@... wrote:
              >
              > > From: MoreyH@...
              > >
              > > The Vancouver Canucks own the #1, #2, #3, and #5 (the yellow Darth Vader
              > > shirts were the best of the worst) ugliest jerseys of all time, IMHO.
              > >
              > > Only those god-awful green jerseys the Oakland Seals wore in the 60s
              >rank
              > > 4th, the ones with a seal surrounded first by a giant C and later with a
              >O.
              > >
              > > Other jerseys that should have been banned by the fashion police: Ducks
              >third
              > > jerseys in 95, Kings 3rd jerseys, Islander fishsticks, the Boston
              > > Winnie-the-Poohs, blue Penguins, Baltimore Blades (red and black go so
              >well
              > > together), and Vancouver Blazers.
              > >
              > > Just an opinion.
              > >
              > > > This has been a Hockey History List mailing
              > > <A HREF=http://www.enol.com/~liebmann/hockey/hockhist.htm>Our
              >Homepage</A>
              > > The Hockey History List is the official mailing list of the Hockey
              >Research Association (HRA)
              >
              >�

              >Association (HRA)
              >

              ><< text3.html >>
            • Martin
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 23, 2000
                >were all that bad. It's too bad more teams don't mix some green into
                their scheme. The new Stars
                >sweaters are nice, and the green Coyote jerseys look good too. Please tell
                me the Blue Jackets
                >are going to keep the black on the puck, and off the uniforms!--Dave Soutter

                The Blue jackets reveiled their uniforms and there is no black on it...
                just blue, red and white

                Martin

                http://goaliesarchive.homepage.com
              • Martin
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 24, 2000
                  I know that the subject of jerseys are of a personal taste but here's my
                  favorites and the one I hate

                  BEST:

                  1- Sharks original away... Best logo ever and tale blue is my favorite colour
                  2- Canucks, late 80's white jersey, orange, yellow, black and white
                  3- Rangers, actual blue with the statue of liberty as the logo
                  4- Penguins, actual home jersey
                  5- Whalers, 80's home jersey
                  6- North Stars, 80's home jersey, with black stripes
                  7- Devils, 80's home jersey green, red, white
                  8- Red wings, home jersey
                  9- OIiers, home with blue shoulders
                  10-Nordiques, home jersey with bigger logo and 2 colour numbers

                  As you can see, I prefer home jerseys

                  WORST:

                  1- Montreal away ( I know what it represents but I always hated them and
                  the desing of the jersey)
                  2- Kings, first purple
                  3- Coyotes (both)
                  4- Hurricanes away
                  5- Canucks, vador black... I think that the Yellow was better
                  6- Senators, first away jersey
                  7- Blues away with red lines (the one a few years back)
                  8- Hawks, black... what's the purpose?
                  9- Penguins, black with Pittsburgh written on the front
                  10- Stars, Dallas' first home jersey

                  but this could be different if we considered minor jerseys