Flyers trading Doug Favell

  • Craig
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 5, 2007
      Can anyone shed some light on the Flyers reasons for trading Doug Favell for Bernie Parent in the summer of 1973?

      I am curious as in 1973 Parent obviously had yet to reach the success that he did in the following 2 seasons. I think it is safe to say that he was a good goalie - perhaps a very good young goalie but also one who two teams (Boston and Philadelphia) had seen fit to get rid of. His stats are solid - very admirable in fact but don't make you think of a truly great goalie. He had yet to win a playoff round. His 1972-73 season in the WHA with admittedly a very mediocre team certainly didn't look anything more than average. So in my mind at least here is a good goalie - maybe in the same vein as a Dan Bouchard, Gilles Gilbert, etc but nowhere near the level of Tony Esposito, Ken Dryden, Gerry Cheevers, etc.

      Then we come to Doug Favell. Here is a guy with admittedly a reputation for being somewhat "streaky" or inconsistent. But in 4 of his 6 years with the Flyers he had a GAA below 3. He had excellent years in 1971-72 and 1972-73 along with a brilliant playoff performance in the 1973 playoffs. The Flyers won their first playoff series that year with Favell playing superbly. Looking at him I see Favell at the same level as Parent. So unless I am missing something why make the trade? Did Fred Sheo not like Favell?

      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 8, 2007
        Absolutely.but think about what he gave them.an exorbitant rent and the
        worst dates! Harold would never turn down a buck and he ALSO got the chance
        to take a shot at the WHA by offering them poor conditions. Remember the
        Toros drew well but they simply could not afford to stay in Toronto.two
        points for Harold!

      • goaliedave
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 8, 2007
          Lacroix is one of those guys who I liked and would have loved to have seen play for the habs. I think he would have put up Gretzky-like numbers if he was put in a Cournoyer type role. I know that's saying something but from what I've read about him I feel he would have been a perfect fit in Montreal.

          Dave in Whitby
          It's hockey season! Sens vs. Leafs today in Kitchener (even if it only is rookie vs rookie)

        • Craig
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 8, 2007
            Dave,

            I think Lacroix may have struggled in that role as he really wasn't that fast and wasn't a true "sniper." His skill was playmaking along with as I mentioned before simply outstanding defensive and face-off skills.

            Both Rick Smith and Brad Selwood who I interviewed for my book on the 1974 Summit told me that "Andy" (as he was called) saw the ice better than anyone they had ever played against or with. They raved about his playmaking abilities and the before mentioned skills. Now, if he had played with good wingers in the NHL I do agree with you that he would have put up some great numbers. It's funny how he didn't work out in Chicago and yet proved to be a very good center for Bobby Hull on Team Canada 74.

            Lacroix is one of those guys who I liked and would have loved to have seen play for the habs. I think he would have put up Gretzky-like numbers if he was put in a Cournoyer type role. I know that's saying something but from what I've read about him I feel he would have been a perfect fit in Montreal.

            Dave in Whitby
            It's hockey season! Sens vs. Leafs today in Kitchener (even if it only is rookie vs rookie)

          • craig_1965ca
            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 8, 2007
              Dave,

              I think Lacroix may have struggled in that role as he really wasn't
              that fast and wasn't a true "sniper." His skill was playmaking along
              with as I mentioned before simply outstanding defensive and face-off
              skills.

              Both Rick Smith and Brad Selwood who I interviewed for my book on the
              1974 Summit told me that "Andy" (as he was called) saw the ice better
              than anyone they had ever played against or with. They raved about
              his playmaking abilities and the before mentioned skills. Now, if he
              had played with good wingers in the NHL I do agree with you that he
              would have put up some great numbers. It's funny how he didn't work
              out in Chicago and yet proved to be a very good center for Bobby Hull
              on Team Canada 74. Very odd....

              Craig

              --- In hockhist@yahoogroups.com, "goaliedave" <goaliedave@...> wrote:

              > Lacroix is one of those guys who I liked and would have loved to
              have seen play for the habs. I think he would have put up Gretzky-
              like numbers if he was put in a Cournoyer type role. I know that's
              saying something but from what I've read about him I feel he would
              have been a perfect fit in Montreal.

              > Dave in Whitby
              > It's hockey season! Sens vs. Leafs today in Kitchener (even if it
              only is rookie vs rookie)

            • Jim Dornberger
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 12, 2007
                Are you saying there is something wrong with Jean-Guy Gendron and
                Simon Nolet (sometimes Dick Sarrazin)? <just kidding>

                Jim Dornberger