Re: [hockhist] report on my interview with Bobby Rousseau

  • Widecab2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , May 15 5:16 PM
      In a message dated 5/11/07 12:18:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      mhdibiase@... writes:

      > He talked a bit about Terry Harper. Corroborating what Bryan Watson
      > told me last December, he mentioned Harper's industriousness and sheer
      > desire. He told me that he once used to have a hockey camp for kids
      > and he used to tell the kids that you don't have to be talented to
      > become a hockey player and make a positive contribution to the team
      > and he would use Harper as a example.

      I was too young to remember Bobby Rousseau with the Habs but do recall him as
      an elder statesman with the New York Rangers in the early 1970s.

      Right on about Terry Harper in a similar vein. I do recall from childhood
      that Terry Harper as a very tough (albeit somewhat immobile) opponent to the
      Big, Bad Bruins of the late 1960s when playing Defense for "The Flying Frenchmen"
      as those teams were coined around here. Terry's grittiness and desire led
      him to reach a late "peak" in his career (in my opinion) with the Los Angeles
      Kings. It was he and Dan Maloney (along with Rogie Vachon in goal) that
      basically underpinned LA's rapid rise to respectability in the 1973-75 time frame,
      before the former two were forsaken to a sick Detroit franchise in exchange for
      Marcel Dionne. In fact, Terry Harper was LA's Captain in those years, and as
      a true "Habitant" would, focused on the game such that he helped to make the
      LA Kings a desirable place to play (and a team to watch) in the 1970s. This
      finally "sold" the game in its first warm weather climate to both incoming
      players (where hockey had seemingly been secondary to the year-round ability to
      play golf for a time), and a neophyte fan base.

      Regards,

      George Chiasson Jr., Rockland, Mass.
      (Widecab2@...)