Hockey and Politics

  • Joe Pelletier
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 24 4:25 PM
      With speculation that Mike Richter is going to make a run for congress
      http://legendsofhockey.blogspot.com/2007/02/richter-wants-to-shut-out-more-right.html
      I was hoping to compile a list of NHLers who crossed over to politics.

      Here's who I have:

      Frank Mahovlich
      Red Kelly
      Howie Meeker
      Ken Dryden
      Bob MacMillan
      Ron Smith
      Darren Langdon (unsuccessful nomination bid)

      I'm sure there's other examples out there - can anyone provide any info?

      Joe Pelletier
      http://www.legendsofhockey.blogspot.com/
    • francz
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 25 3:21 PM
        Syl Apps (MP, unsuccessful by 138 votes, National Government Party, Brant ON riding, 1940)
        Syl Apps (MPP, successful, Ontario, Conservative, Correctional Services Minister)

        Bill Hicke (MP, unsuccessful by 7,754 votes, Conservative, Regina-Qu'Appelle, 1988)

        Dick Duff (MP, unsuccessful by 3,559 votes, Liberal, Timiskaming, 1972)

        Bucko McDonald (MP, successful, Liberal, Parry Sound, 1945; successful, Liberal, Parry Sound-Muskoka, 1949)

        Lionel Conacher (MP, successful, Liberal, Toronto Trinity, 1949; successful, Liberal, Toronto Trinity, 1953)

        Only Meeker and Kelly were active players who sat as MP's. Apps would have been a third.

        DID YOU KNOW...

        ...In the 1963 Federal Election in York West, Kelly, for the Liberals, defeated a Conservative party candidate by the name of R. Alan Eagleson by 17,001 votes.

        Rob in 905

        Joe Pelletier <teamcanada72@...> wrote:
        With speculation that Mike Richter is going to make a run for congress
        http://legendsofhockey.blogspot.com/2007/02/richter-wants-to-shut-out-more-right.html
        I was hoping to compile a list of NHLers who crossed over to politics.

        Here's who I have:

        Frank Mahovlich
        Red Kelly
        Howie Meeker
        Ken Dryden
        Bob MacMillan
        Ron Smith
        Darren Langdon (unsuccessful nomination bid)

        I'm sure there's other examples out there - can anyone provide any info?

        Joe Pelletier
        http://www.legendsofhockey.blogspot.com/

      • Rob
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 26 9:13 AM
          Syl Apps (MP, unsuccessful by 138 votes, National Government Party,
          Brant ON riding, 1940)
          Syl Apps (MPP, successful, Ontario, Conservative, Correctional
          Services Minister)

          Bill Hicke (MP, unsuccessful by 7,754 votes, Conservative, Regina-
          Qu'Appelle, 1988)

          Dick Duff (MP, unsuccessful by 3,559 votes, Liberal, Timiskaming,
          1972)

          Bucko McDonald (MP, successful, Liberal, Parry Sound, 1945;
          successful, Liberal, Parry Sound-Muskoka, 1949)

          Lionel Conacher (MP, successful, Liberal, Toronto Trinity, 1949;
          successful, Liberal, Toronto Trinity, 1953)

          Only Meeker and Kelly were active players who sat as MP's. Apps
          would have been a third. McDonald played his last NHL game two
          months before the 1945 election.

          --- In hockhist@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Pelletier" <teamcanada72@...>

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 26 10:23 AM
            Conacher also served as Member of Provincial Parliament for the
            constituency of Bracondale in central Toronto, from 1937 to 1943.
            Strictly speaking, he was elected as a Member of the Legislative
            Assembly (MLA), but Ontario's legislators adopted the MPP designation
            in '38. He served one term, and was one of many Liberals who lost
            their seats in the 1943 election (they went from 63 of 90 seats to 15
            of 90; George Drew's Conservatives formed a minority government).

            During the period between '43 and '49, I'm pretty sure he sought the
            party's nomination at either the provincial or federal level for a by-
            election, but failed to secure it. Can't recall where I read that,
            though. I'll see if I can scare it up.

            --
            Lloyd Davis Communications
            304-115 Danforth Avenue
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 26 1:11 PM
              In Jeff Klein's Messier biography, I believe he mentioned something about an
              unsuccessful attempt on behalf of Peter Pocklington to run for office as a
              conservative.

              Keith Lenn

              _____

              --- In hockhist@yahoogroup <mailto:hockhist%40yahoogroups.com> s.com, "Joe
              Pelletier" <teamcanada72@...>
              wrote:

              > Here's who I have:
              >
              > Frank Mahovlich
              > Red Kelly
              > Howie Meeker
              > Ken Dryden
              > Bob MacMillan
              > Ron Smith
              > Darren Langdon (unsuccessful nomination bid)
              >
              > I'm sure there's other examples out there - can anyone provide any
              info?

              > Joe Pelletier
              > http://www.legendso <http://www.legendsofhockey.blogspot.com/>
              fhockey.blogspot.com/

            • John Edwards
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 28 7:14 AM
                On 2/26/07, hockey collector <hockeycollector@...> wrote:
                > In Jeff Klein's Messier biography, I believe he mentioned something about an
                > unsuccessful attempt on behalf of Peter Pocklington to run for office as a
                > conservative.

                Pocklington ran for the leadership of the Progressive Conservative
                party in 1983. He wasn't a factor in the race, and finished sixth out
                of eight candidates. I don't think he ran for elective office after
                that.

                John

                --
                John Edwards