Dennis Hull @ Billy Smith appear @ dinner in MOOSE JAW

  • reorgman
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 2007
      Sports Fans Treated to an Enjoyable Evening

      Legendary NHLers Dennis Hull and Billy Smith, along with former
      Montreal Expo Tim Raines entertained over 400 people at the 15th
      Moose Jaw Kinsmen Sports Celebrity Banquet.

      Another sold out Kinsmen Sports Celebrity Banquet took place this
      weekend at the Heritage Inn.

      Hall of Fame Goaltender Billy Smith was one of the event's speakers.
      Of course playing 18 years with the New York Islanders Smith spent a
      lot of time with Moose Jaw's Clarke Gilles.

      "We nicknamed him Jethro, probably one of the toughest guys ever.
      You can talk about your fighters, but Clarkie was a very funny
      individual, for anyone who knows him out here, he was our comedian,
      always had us laughing. He was our tough guy."

      Former Montreal Expo Tim Raines was on hand. He says his memories
      still lie where his career began.

      "It's like it was yesterday. Unfortunately they don't have a
      baseball team there right now. But my heart still lies in Montreal,
      and I'm hoping one day... I've got my fingers crossed... before I
      die... they'll get a team back there before it's over."

      And the event wouldn't be complete without Dennis Hull as the Emcee.
      Hull had the crowd roaring with laughter throughout the night. Hull
      says he's no stranger to these events.

      "I do a lot of this, simply because I'm a farmer, just to make ends
      meet I have to go out and do something else. Hockey players never
      made any money back then either. So I've done two things in my life
      that I love, playing hockey and farming, and never made any money at
      either of them."

      The Moose Jaw Kinsmen donated 5 thousand dollars from Saturday's
      proceeds to the Moose Jaw Multiplex, making their total contributions
      $30,000.
      http://www.discovermoosejaw.com/index.php?
      option=com_ezine&task=read&page=11&category=2&article=1602&Itemid=236