Re: [hockhist] Dusting off an old Rangers topic

  • Craig
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1 3:27 AM
      Jay,

      I don't have any "first hand" knowledge of what happened when Popein coached the Rangers. From what I have seen in similar instances in business is, when a manger who has a good performing business unit (such as the Rangers of this era) and tends to be a very easy going personality (ie; Francis) is replaced by a "task master" one of two things occurs. Either the business unit really "ramps it up" or the staff tune the new guy out and performance drops. The attitude tends to be "who the hell is this guy to tell us what to do. We have shown we can do the job". It is my experience that the latter is the norm and I bet that is what happened with the Rangers here. Popien probably came in "pissed off" most of the players and they didn't put out for him. Hey I have to say if I was a Ranger and saw him humiliate Eddie Giacomin like that, it would not endear me to him.

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 2 1:23 PM
        I forget if I mentioned this in my previous reports of my Gerry
        Eskenazi interview, but Eskenazi told me that Emile Francis had a
        penchant for hiring coaches who had the potential of either failing
        short of his expectations or the players' expectations--which would
        thus justify Francis' return to the coaching box.

        The Popein firing is, in my mind, corroboration of what Eskenazi told
        me.

        Matt
      • Swanrvr80@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 3 2:36 AM
          Matt,

          I doubt if Francis hired people hoping that they wouldn't be as successful
          as he was because he loved the Rangers and was very competitive. He wouldn't
          have been jealous if they won under another coach. Still, his choices never
          did work out. Eskenazi seems to imply that Francis didn't want to leave as
          coach yet the job, with the GM responsibilities, was too much for one person.
          Maybe NY should've gotten a GM instead of a new coach.

          Jay

          In a message dated 2/2/2007 4:27:59 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          mhdibiase@... writes:

          I forget if I mentioned this in my previous reports of my Gerry
          Eskenazi interview, but Eskenazi told me that Emile Francis had a
          penchant for hiring coaches who had the potential of either failing
          short of his expectations or the players' expectations-short of his
          thus justify Francis' return to the coaching box.

          The Popein firing is, in my mind, corroboration of what Eskenazi told
          me.

          Matt

        • mhdibiase
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 3 9:06 AM
            Dear Jay:

            I was only repeating what Eskenazi told me in my interview with him.
            I have no personal bias on the issue myself and on the surface your
            insight is logical however in my travels I have met similar people
            (in lesser capacities) who secretly want their subordinates to fail
            so as to make themselves look better by comparison. It's an ego thing.

            Only The Cat can answer the question, I'm afraid.

            Matt

          • Swanrvr80@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 4 4:29 AM
              Matt,

              I agree with the ego thing as I've seen people in the business world wanting
              others to fail for the same reason. Maybe through interviews I'll get more
              insight into 'heir to the Cat' issue.

              Jay