Re: [hockhist] Re: Player Names on Jerseys

  • Ian Wilson
    Message 1 of 33 , Nov 30, 2006
      --- Frank TEX Liebmann <texliebmann@...> wrote:

      > --- Leslee47@... wrote:
      >
      > > Hooray for Ian!!
      > >
      > > I am all in favo(u)r of going back to the proper
      > terms for hockey equipment,
      > > post-season play, and players' positions, as well
      > as anything else that has
      > > been butchered in the name of "progress". While
      > I do love that the game has
      > > more of an audience, I deplore the adaptation of
      > the lingo of other sports,
      > > particularly the attempt to use football and
      > basketball terms to describe the
      > > sport.
      >
      > In that case, we had better quit using the term
      > hat-trick.

      I understand hat trick might be an English football
      term, but that is coincidental to the hockey term. It
      comes from the fact a Toronto clothing store gave hats
      to Maple Leaf players who scored three goals.

      > Where did the term crease come from?

      I have no idea wher crease came from, but I do know
      hockey players wear sweaters.

      ian

      http://new.mail.yahoo.com
    • epenaltybox
      Message 33 of 33 , Sep 7, 2008
        Anything is possible, but Manager Pete Muldoon wrote stories for the
        Oregonian (Portland's major paper) and wrote the articles with Uncle
        Sams in the story and in the byline.

        You can't use Canadian newspapers to reference American hockey teams
        (and vice versa) if you're looking for any degree of accuracy.

        Morey