RE: [hockhist] 5 on 5 scoring vs. 5 on 4

  • Alan Ryder
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 11, 2006
      Try a post on the HAG List.

      _____

      From: hockhist@yahoogroups.com [mailto:hockhist@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
      Of Stan Jones
      Sent: Wednesday, October 11, 2006 12:34 PM
      To: hockhist@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [hockhist] 5 on 5 scoring vs. 5 on 4

      A junior A coach I worked with has asked me to calculate what
      proportion of his team's goals were 5 on 5, 5 on 4, etc. And the same
      with the goals they have given up. This year the Junior A leagues
      began instituting the same emphasis on interference penalties that the
      NHL and Major Junior leagues started last year, resulting in many more
      5 on 4 and 5 on 3 (and 4 on 4).

      I have been able to calculate this for the 11 games the team played so
      far and will be keeping track it for the rest of the season. I haven't
      found anything for comparative analysis, however. Is this statistic
      easily available for any other leagues and / or years?

    • Morey Holzman
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 11, 2006
        Thanks Lloyd, you were correct. It was Jerry, and it was Marquette
        Jr. A team. Here's Jerry's e-mail address if you're interested:
        gwinnsully at hotmail dot com.

        Morey

        --- In hockhist@yahoogroups.com, Lloyd Davis <ldavis@...> wrote:

        > My memory's hazy, too, though I can recommend an excellent Friday
        night fish
        > fry on the Keewenaw Peninsula.
        >
        > My files show that it was Jerry Sullivan from Marquette, Michigan,
        who did a
        > study on the different types of goal scoring. More than that,
        we'll have to
        > rely on memory, and it seems the scope was limited to Junior A
        games
        > (Marquette's team in particular) and looked more at where the
        shots were
        > going (i.e., top right corner, five hole, etc.).
        >

        > on 10/11/06 1:36 PM, Morey Holzman at epenaltybox@... wrote:
        >
        > > Not that I'm aware of. I went to a SIHR conference in Houghton,
        MI,