A Review of "Hockey: A People's History"

  • hairyfeilo
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 23, 2006
      For those who might be interested, I have posted a review of the first
      two episodes of CBC's "Hockey: A People's History" on my blog at
      http://hoghee.blogspot.com/.

      JAR
    • paul_patskou
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 23, 2006
        Thanks, its a fair and balanced review. I agree with some of things
        you say, especially the use of Gretzky & Cherry as 'philosophers'for
        the early episodes. But this was a television production and they were
        big names.

        I worked on the series and I know there are some errors - some of
        which I pointed out but they couldn't change.

        I've said this before, and I'll repeat it. There are different
        producers and directors for each episode. And the producers were
        selected because they could tell a story and knowing hockey wasn't the
        most important factor. The series aim was to tell a story of how
        hockey evolved and became historically interwoven with the Canadian
        people.

        It must also be noted that there are only 42 minutes per episode and
        scripts were written and rewritten. How do you included everything
        that happened? You can't. If someone can figure a way to put all the
        missing parts that everyone mentions in the 42 minutes, then you are
        very good.

        A storyline was developed and the producers used what fit in the time
        alloted. It is not a true detailed historical documentary. It wasn't
        meant to be.

        I wish it was handled differently at some points, but I accepted it
        because I knew what they were trying to do. But some very capable and
        prominent SIHR members worked on the series and that enhanced it in my
        mind.

        But no production is perfect and I don't think that the series should
        be a bull's eye for people wanting to jump all over it, just because
        it doesn't fit their vision of what the production should have been.

        Thanks for the review and I look forward to reading the next one.