Re: [hockhist] Re: new WHA for 2006-2007?

  • PCMP
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 6, 2006
      --- William Underwood <wausport@...>
      wrote:

      > I would say that it is fiction/wishful thinking etc.
      > I live in Philly and
      > there is no new team coming here and I'd think I
      > would have heard at least
      > some scuttlebutt. Out of curiosity where did you
      hear this?

      Hi William and all,

      The names of the "new" teams are on the WHA web site,
      after their flash video intro of the old WHA
      logos....and that is all I know.
      (http://www.worldhockeyassociation.net/)

      Why release cities and franchise names with no other
      info? I don't even know what level of league this is
      supposed to be, but it seems it is not connected with
      the supposed WHA western junior league...

      There was what looked to be a replica WHA Cincinnati
      Stingers jersey crest for sale on eBay this week, with
      the seller saying it was one that would be used for
      the upcoming WHA Columbus Stingers team. (eBay item
      #250025567978)

      I know, there have been seemingly a dozen "new" WHA
      flase-starts, I'm just surprised that they keep
      coming!

      Any actual info anyone has is welcome, as always....

      Timothy Gassen
      whaRACERS.com

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • PCMP
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 6, 2006
        --- DAGusky@... wrote:

        > There's a new USHL franchise in Columbus this year.

        Ah, I see they are the Junior Blue Jackets, and will
        play their schedule at Nationwide Arena, with game
        operations run through the NHL Jackets. That name and
        organization association will really help them in what
        I think is a difficult job of carving out a slice of
        the crowded Columbus sports market.

        But I wish them great success, especially if dveloping
        players can stay in Columbus and play for the
        Buckeyes.

        And this really makes one scratch their heads and
        wonder what level of play could the "new" WHA possibly
        be thinking about in Columbus for next year?

        best,
        Timothy Gassen
        whaRACERS.com

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 7, 2006
          I didn't see them come up this time.I know that last year they had all sorts
          of grandiose hopes to have a junior league in the US.then the league they
          did run on Florida was pretty much a mess and USA Hockey sort of laughed
          them out of the room. So it may have to do with that.but there hasn't even
          been talk of a reunion of the old Blazers around here.:)

          Now as to why they keep on coming.the original thought of starting a league
          during the lock out made a certain degree of sense to at least blow into the
          wind. Get a few good Canadian cities on board with a few in the US and
          provide a product while the NHL is out that is a bit cheaper but good
          quality and see if it can stick.not a bad thought. But a risky one that
          people rightfully held back on, plus there was the issue of arenas.The
          leases just were not there, Winnipeg and Hamilton had exclusives with the
          AHL and Saskatoon with junior. So; much for the idea of a strong Canadian
          contingent! Good idea, even good timing just too many road blocks. But they
          get two points for trying!

          But SOMEHOW the original bunch managed to sell the rights to the idea to the
          new group-they sink a three pointer at the buzzer for that neat trick! So
          the new bunch spent money on it and want to use it. The problem is that the
          new owners have NO clue about hockey. An old friend of mine who was an ex
          NHL GM (just passed away a couple of months back) talked to them and said
          they just knew NOTHING about the hockey business. So they didn't want minor
          pro, the major league idea was unreachable, so junior became their target.
          At first they talked about challenging the CHL but lacked the money. So they
          looked at US junior hockey and ended up in the junior C hockey business.and
          if these guys were dumb about pro hockey/Canadian hockey they knew NOTHING
          about US amateur hockey! A guy that I do business with who is at the junior
          council meetings (he runs a junior organization that has teams in Florida)
          still laughs about them. So what do they do next? Being too proud to look at
          the minor pro route and not wanting to just cash in on merchandize rights,
          two potentially viable options, they start an outlaw junior C type of league
          near their home in BC! You could probably just about buy most of the UHL in
          one fell swoop for a re launch, you could try to do what Quebec has done but
          that is not what they want. Why? Four reasons. They still have this hope to
          start a big league in some distant future in a galaxy far away, some dreams
          never die! Two it would actually cost money. You really have to pay players
          a decent wage to have a decent league. Now you want to risk millions on a
          big league someday but not less on a more likely to succeed on a minor pro
          venture.good logic.in the Bizaro World I guess. :-) So you spend thousands
          on near sure loss at the junior level.do I smell and accountant in the
          house? Three it is easier as you can play in the local youth barn where the
          lease is not a major battle. Four, back to the top, these guys haven't a
          clue about what they are doing! So the WHA is back at square one again, no
          credibility and drifting without a rudder in the deep sea with lots of
          sharks around. The entire episode of both groups brings to mind ole Abe
          Lincoln who said "it is better to remain quiet and be thought a fool than to
          open up one's mouth and remove all doubt." The new group hasn't kept their
          shut! I feel bad for them. The property of these names and logos COULD be
          out to good use but these guys have gotten just a long stream of bad advice!