Re: [hockhist] Re: Book on California Golden Seals - article from nhl.com

  • Bradley Kurtzberg
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 4 12:35 PM
      Yes, but Finley had the Seals wearing green and yellow skates in 70-71
      as well. He wanted white but the players and coach Fred Glover explained
      it wouldn't work on skates. Bill Torrey was also against it. Well,
      Finley "compromised" on green and gold before getting his white skates a
      year later.

      Brad

      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 4 1:46 PM
        Ah, good to know.

        When Finley dressed his Kansas City A's in white shoes (with kelly green
        piping) in 1967, it prompted George Selkirk, the GM of the Washington
        Senators, to retaliate in kind. He outfitted his team in white caps and
        white stirrups -- but this variation on the uniform was worn only when the
        Nats played the Athletics.

        Too bad one of the established NHL clubs didn't think to order a batch of,
        say, white pants for their games against the Seals!

        Of course, the A's white shoes were worn with gold jerseys and pants, with
        green stirrups. Shirley Povich of the Washington Post referred to the Kansas
        City uniforms as "mod baseball dress that suggested they were refugees from
        a girls' softball team... and altogether the A's were a fright."

        By the '70s, the sartorial mishaps were many in baseball. I never much cared
        for robin's egg blue. But I kind of liked the trend towards shoes in colour
        -- even Oakland's green and gold in the days of Billyball when Martin was
        blowing out the arms of his starting rotation with reckless abandon. It
        reached the point where the Cincinnati Reds, the lone holdouts with black
        shoes (and their no-mustache rule) were the ones who looked ridiculous.
        (Marge Schott didn't help.)

        Getting back to hockey, I wonder if some team might consider giving this a
        whirl again -- red skates for the Red Wings, for instance, or blue for the
        Leafs. Then again, I guess the design of today's skates are meant more to
        promote the manufacture than the team the wearer plays for.

        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 4 10:02 PM
          I don't think we'll see NHL teams wearing skates in team colors again.
          It was a very 70s thing. But hey, everything seems to eventually come
          back into style so who knows? It just takes one maverick owner to start
          a trend...

          ldavis@... wrote:

          > Ah, good to know.
          >
          > When Finley dressed his Kansas City A's in white shoes (with kelly green
          > piping) in 1967, it prompted George Selkirk, the GM of the Washington
          > Senators, to retaliate in kind. He outfitted his team in white caps and
          > white stirrups -- but this variation on the uniform was worn only when the
          > Nats played the Athletics.
          >
          > Too bad one of the established NHL clubs didn't think to order a batch of,
          > say, white pants for their games against the Seals!
          >
          > Of course, the A's white shoes were worn with gold jerseys and pants, with
          > green stirrups. Shirley Povich of the Washington Post referred to the
          > Kansas
          > City uniforms as "mod baseball dress that suggested they were refugees
          > from
          > a girls' softball team... and altogether the A's were a fright."
          >
          > By the '70s, the sartorial mishaps were many in baseball. I never much
          > cared
          > for robin's egg blue. But I kind of liked the trend towards shoes in
          > colour
          > -- even Oakland's green and gold in the days of Billyball when Martin was
          > blowing out the arms of his starting rotation with reckless abandon. It
          > reached the point where the Cincinnati Reds, the lone holdouts with black
          > shoes (and their no-mustache rule) were the ones who looked ridiculous.
          > (Marge Schott didn't help.)
          >
          > Getting back to hockey, I wonder if some team might consider giving this a
          > whirl again -- red skates for the Red Wings, for instance, or blue for the
          > Leafs. Then again, I guess the design of today's skates are meant more to
          > promote the manufacture than the team the wearer plays for.
          >

          > on 8/4/06 3:35 PM, Bradley Kurtzberg at sealshockey@...
          > <mailto:sealshockey%40aol.com> wrote:
          >
          > > Yes, but Finley had the Seals wearing green and yellow skates in 70-71
          > > as well. He wanted white but the players and coach Fred Glover explained
          > > it wouldn't work on skates. Bill Torrey was also against it. Well,
          > > Finley "compromised" on green and gold before getting his white skates a
          > > year later.
          >
          > --
          > Lloyd Davis Communications
          > 304-115 Danforth Ave., Toronto, ON M4K 1N2
          > 416 465 6999 /// 416 462 0230 (fax)
          > ldavis@... <mailto:ldavis%40bellnet.ca>

        • goaliedave
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 5 8:35 PM
            Brad... congrats on the book, hope I can find a copy around here...

            You said "I don't think we'll see NHL teams wearing skates in team colors again.
            It was a very 70s thing. But hey, everything seems to eventually come
            back into style so who knows? It just takes one maverick owner to start
            a trend..."

            I just had to say, I just LOVED my St. Louis Blues coloured skates my mum made with leather colouring you get for shoes ... my daughter is into the retro stuff and playing this year on the Oshawa Generals girls team... they have similar colours... hmmm, might just run it by the coach... I think this is a trend whose time for comeback is due.

            Dave in Whitby

          • Bradley Kurtzberg
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 5 8:44 PM
              Dave...GO 4 IT...I love the idea. Keep me posted if the team adopts it.
              As for my book, it's not in stores but its available at my Web site
              (www.sealshockey.com) and amazon.com and amazon.ca and bn.com as well.
              Let me know if you have trouble finding it and I do look forward to your
              feedback.

              Brad