Re: Rangers vs. Islanders at Yankee Stadium?

  • joe_gucciardo
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2006
      I guess you thought Steinbrenner would put the kabosh on this outdoor
      game at Yankee Stadium if the Devils were not involved?

      --- In hockhist@yahoogroups.com, "Morey Holzman" <epenaltybox@...>
      wrote:

      > Does YankeeNets still own the Devils?
      >
      > Morey
    • Morey Holzman
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 2, 2006
        No. There has always been an incestual relationship between the
        individual profitability of its owners and the stability of the league.

        For example, for years, Islanders and Penguins fans were paying the
        owner of the Flyers every time the fan bought a beer at a home game.
        The Flyers' Ed Snider sold the company he founded (SMG) just
        conveniently before the Penguins filed bankruptcy.

        I was curious if the practice was still ongoing.

        Morey

        --- In hockhist@yahoogroups.com, "joe_gucciardo" <joe_gucciardo@...>

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 2, 2006
          Wasn't YankeeNets more of a TV play? The Boss got browned off at Dolan's
          Cablevision, so the Yanks started up their own channel, and added the Nets
          to give it an additional property -- and, of course, the usual buzzwords
          about synergies.

          I don't see a parallel to SMG's bleeding of Pittsburgh and the Isles. If the
          Yankees had gone the arena-management route, it would've been an example of
          vertical integration.

          Anyway, it looks as though Steinbrenner got tired of using Yankee profits to
          cover New Jersey losses. The teams were divested.

          I don't know who'll end up running the Newark arena, but Ratner is moving
          the Nets to Brooklyn, where he's redeveloping Atlantic Yards.

          Anyway, the game at the Stadium has been shelved for the moment, hasn't it?

          --
          Lloyd Davis Communications
          304-115 Danforth Ave., Toronto, ON M4K 1N2