Calgary 1954 obit needed

  • C_Julien
    Message 1 of 2 , May 15, 2006
      HiI am looking for info on what happened to a hockey player after he left our area. He was a member of the first pro hockey league, the IHL in 1904.His name was John "Jack" Liddell MacDonald Gibson.He was known locally as John/Jack Gibson or just Doc. He had graduated from Detroit Medical School about 1902 and moved here to Houghton, Michigan to set up his Dentist practice, Doc is in the Hockey Hall of Fame. "He was a fine player of all sports in Canada before arriving in Houghton". He returned to Canada in about 1907 (I think). He served in the Canadian military starting in early 1916.Born: September 10, 1880, Berlin (Kitchener) Ontario, CanadaDied: November 1, 1954, Calgary, Alberta CanadaAny suggestions on how to find an obit from Calgary or any other info on his family?Thanks!Connie Julienwebmaster www.cchockeyhistory.org

    • francz
      Message 2 of 2 , May 15, 2006
        The UBC library should probably still have microfilms for the Calgary Herald (I last looked at them in 1986).

        Mike, if you could find the time, it would be appreciated.

        Thanks --

        Rob

        C_Julien <cjulien@...> wrote:
        HiI am looking for info on what happened to a hockey player after he left our area. He was a member of the first pro hockey league, the IHL in 1904.His name was John "Jack" Liddell MacDonald Gibson.He was known locally as John/Jack Gibson or just Doc. He had graduated from Detroit Medical School about 1902 and moved here to Houghton, Michigan to set up his Dentist practice, Doc is in the Hockey Hall of Fame. "He was a fine player of all sports in Canada before arriving in Houghton". He returned to Canada in about 1907 (I think). He served in the Canadian military starting in early 1916.Born: September 10, 1880, Berlin (Kitchener) Ontario, CanadaDied: November 1, 1954, Calgary, Alberta CanadaAny suggestions on how to find an obit from Calgary or any other info on his family?Thanks!Connie Julienwebmaster www.cchockeyhistory.org

        Sports fund raising Sports psychology degree Sport psychology college Sport psychology course Hockey trophy Sport nutrition