Canes finish month 13-1

  • Eric Hornick
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2006
      <<MONTREAL (AP) - The Carolina Hurricanes were thinking of the one that got away as they closed out January with a record-tying win.

      Erik Cole scored three goals and tied a career high with four points, and Eric Staal had two goals and an assist to lead the Hurricanes to a 8-2 win over the Montreal Canadiens on Tuesday night.

      Cole said the coaching staff told the players after the game that their 13-1 mark in January tied an NHL record for wins in a month. They became the sixth team to do it and the first since Detroit went 13-3 in March 2003, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

      ``One of the comments in the room was, 'If we'd only beaten Washington,''' Cole said, referring to a 5-2 road loss on Jan. 21.
      ``The mentality of the guys is we can win every game, we can play in every game, and if we show up and compete hard within the system, we've got the guys and we've got the character to get it done.''

      Buffalo set the record for points in a month with 27 by going 12-1-3 in November 1974, a record that was tied the same season by Philadelphia's 13-1-1 mark in March 1975.

      Martin Gerber made 32 saves, and Kevyn Adams, Craig Adams and Niklas Nordgren also scored for Carolina, which leads the NHL with 78 points. The Hurricanes generated all that offense without newly acquired center Doug Weight in the lineup.
      Weight, traded from St. Louis on Monday, is due to join the Hurricanes on Wednesday. Carolina has won five straight and 14 of 15.>>