RE: [hockhist] Digest Number 3363

  • Andrew
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 13, 2006
      It just would have been nice to see him go out on his
      own terms...

      -Andrew

      --- William Underwood <wausport@...>
      wrote:

      > I agree...Andreychuk was a class act...I was glad to
      > see him win a Cup.
      > Time just caught up with him. The game has changed
      > and the year off
      > didn't help...but in the end he was also 42 years
      > old! It is an
      > achievement to play to that age and win a Cup at
      > 40...he has just
      > reached his time. As Morey says he could keep
      > playing and score 20 goals
      > maybe but there is the limit and a 20 goal season is
      > just not what it
      > was before the new rules...it isn't bad but just
      > doesn't stand out as
      > much. Given his lack of wheels that hurt in this
      > era...it probably was
      > time. But at 42, that day was coming sooner than
      > later...

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Eric L
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 13, 2006
        Hi all,
        Sorry to see Andreychuck retire, but in all hoensty, never saw him, and know little about him. I guess his time was due. It would have probably been better to retire after winning the Cup, but he made the choice to stand fast, which is commendable.

        Not to sound heartless, but I am writing to change the subject, for my own selfish purposes. LOL! Can anyone tell me whatever happened to the New Orleans Brass franchise? Did it go into suspension, then just fold, or did it just fold?

        Thanks,
        Erich

        William Underwood <wausport@...> wrote:
        I agree...Andreychuk was a class act...I was glad to see him win a Cup.
        Time just caught up with him. The game has changed and the year off
        didn't help...but in the end he was also 42 years old! It is an
        achievement to play to that age and win a Cup at 40...he has just
        reached his time. As Morey says he could keep playing and score 20 goals
        maybe but there is the limit and a 20 goal season is just not what it
        was before the new rules...it isn't bad but just doesn't stand out as
        much. Given his lack of wheels that hurt in this era...it probably was
        time. But at 42, that day was coming sooner than later...

        Sports fund raising Sports psychology degree Sport psychology college Sport psychology course Hockey trophy Sport nutrition

        ---------------------------------

      • J.P. Martel
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 14, 2006
          > --- In hockhist@yahoogroups.com, Eric L <ironxfan@y...> wrote:
          >
          > Hi all,
          > Sorry to see Andreychuck retire, but in all hoensty,
          > never saw him, and know little about him. I guess his time
          > was due. It would have probably been better to retire after
          > winning the Cup, but he made the choice to stand fast, which
          > is commendable.
          >
          > Not to sound heartless, but I am writing to change the
          > subject, for my own selfish purposes. LOL! Can anyone tell
          > me whatever happened to the New Orleans Brass franchise?
          > Did it go into suspension, then just fold, or did it just
          > fold?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Erich

          Hi Erich,

          No need to be selfish, ot to change the subject. Just create
          a new thread by entering a new subject line, like "New Orleans
          Brass - what happened to them?"

          In 2002, they tried to make arrangements to find a home, after
          the New Orleans Hornets (NBA) pushed them out of the New
          Orleans Arena, but they didn't succeed. They got permission from
          the league to suspend operations until they could find a new
          home, but I'm afraid they'd given up, even before Katrina hit.

          Wikipedia's stub on the team says the following:

          "The New Orleans Brass was a hockey team in the ECHL from 1997-2002.
          Home games were played at the New Orleans Arena. The franchise was
          deactivated when the New Orleans Hornets moved to the arena;
          officials did not extend lease terms to the hockey team.

          The team's games were broadcast in New Orleans on radio station
          WSMB."

          Now for a bit of trivia:

          The New Orleans Brass are prominently featured in the 2001 movie
          "Above and Beyond". But don't rush to buy the DVD - it doesn't
          exist, unless you live in Europe. You may catch it on the
          Lifetime Movie Network, though, they've showed it on a few
          occasions.

          J.-Patrice
        • Eric L
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 15, 2006
            J.P., thank you for your input on this matter. I did not know they were in the movie. I actualyl do not own a TV, so I will have to try and get the DVD from my friends in Europe, then convert it to our standard. I was actualyl supposed to got to a game their last season, and decided to go out with friends instead-who are not hockey fans-and thought I'll catch them next season. THe next thing I know, they were gone. I am surprised they did not go play at the old arena by the lakefront, by UNO. Well, who knows, once NOLA gets cleaned up, maybe hockey will return to the city. Oh, a little trivia for you: They were featured on MTV's Real World New Orleans a few years ago too. One of the characters sang a the game.

            Thank you.

            Erich