Two more 1980 Olympians who played in the 'bigs'

  • francz
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 30, 2005
      Don't forget goalie Steve Janaszak, who didn't play a minute in the Olympics but played in the NHL, and Buzz Schneider, who played in the WHA BEFORE he played in the Olympics (4 games with Birmingham in 1976-77).

      Rob in 905

      DAVE SOUTTER <dsoutter@...> wrote:
      Al:

      12 players from the 1980 U.S. Olympic team went on to play in the NHL:

      Mark Johnson (Wisconsin), Rob McClanahan (Minnesota), Dave Christian (North Dakota), Mark Pavelich (Minnesota-Duluth), Dave Silk (Boston U.), Jim Craig (Boston U.), Neal Broten (Minneosta), Ken Morrow (Bowling Green U.), Mike Ramsey (Minnesota), Steve Christoff (Minneosta), Bill Baker (Minnesota) and Jack O' Callahan (Boston U.) all played at some point in the NHL.

    • Craig
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 1, 2005
        How did Scheider get clearance to play in the Olympics at that time? The WHA
        of course was a pro league and I thought that if you played even one pro
        game that would end your Olympic hopes.

        > Don't forget goalie Steve Janaszak, who didn't play a minute in the
        > Olympics but played in the NHL, and Buzz Schneider, who played in the WHA
        > BEFORE he played in the Olympics (4 games with Birmingham in 1976-77).
        >
        > Rob in 905
        >
        > DAVE SOUTTER <dsoutter@...> wrote:
        > Al:
        >
        > 12 players from the 1980 U.S. Olympic team went on to play in the NHL:
        >
        > Mark Johnson (Wisconsin), Rob McClanahan (Minnesota), Dave Christian
        > (North Dakota), Mark Pavelich (Minnesota-Duluth), Dave Silk (Boston U.),
        > Jim Craig (Boston U.), Neal Broten (Minneosta), Ken Morrow (Bowling Green
        > U.), Mike Ramsey (Minnesota), Steve Christoff (Minneosta), Bill Baker
        > (Minnesota) and Jack O' Callahan (Boston U.) all played at some point in
        > the NHL.

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Al
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 1, 2005
          no a few players were in the minor pro system when they got picked to join team USA
          Al

          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 1, 2005
            It was all very complex. Just like you technically can play A LITTLE bit
            of major junior hockey and still compete in the NCAA you could play a
            LITTLE bit of pro hockey and get away with it.

            First of all the rules changed over time they were dynamic. Secondly it
            had to do with the governing body of a sport's definition of "amateur".

            Now in the 19700-s the IHL was still classified as an amateur league. It
            was looked onto as senior hockey so you c0o9uold play init and still be
            Olympic eligible. As far as Schneider's stay in the WHA goes, he
            probably signed a short try out contract. These were considered by
            national governing bodies of the day as not harming amateur status. And
            the IIHF in turn accepted that.

            Now, to address a question that I have no doubt might come up...how come
            the NCAA does not recognize this rule? There is a simple answer. The
            NCAA is not a part of USA Hockey OR the IIHF. It is an independent
            governing body that covers a multitude of sports not bound by any
            national governing body of any individual sport or Olympic committee
            thus it has its own rules for its own benefit.

            no a few players were in the minor pro system when they got picked to
            join team USA
            Al

            > Don't forget goalie Steve Janaszak, who didn't play a minute in the
            > Olympics but played in the NHL, and Buzz Schneider, who played in
            the WHA
            > BEFORE he played in the Olympics (4 games with Birmingham in
            1976-77).

            > Rob in 905
            >
            > DAVE SOUTTER <dsoutter@...> wrote:
            > Al:
            >
            > 12 players from the 1980 U.S. Olympic team went on to play in the
            NHL:

            > Mark Johnson (Wisconsin), Rob McClanahan (Minnesota), Dave Christian

            > (North Dakota), Mark Pavelich (Minnesota-Duluth), Dave Silk (Boston
            U.),
            > Jim Craig (Boston U.), Neal Broten (Minneosta), Ken Morrow (Bowling
            Green
            > U.), Mike Ramsey (Minnesota), Steve Christoff (Minneosta), Bill
            Baker
            > (Minnesota) and Jack O' Callahan (Boston U.) all played at some
            point in
            > the NHL.

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            Service.

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • goaliedave
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 1, 2005
              I know it's not exactly on topic, but I looked up the 1980 Canadian Olympic
              team to "compare" to the USA team... thanks of course to Ralph's
              hockeydb.com ...

              Of course everyone knows the first two, multiple Stanley Cup champs with
              Edmonton, Glenn Anderson (1129 NHL games) and Randy Gregg (474 NHL games)
              and Paul MacLean (719 NHL games) but I wasn't aware of most of the others
              who played in the NHL: Ken Berry, Bob Dupuis(G), Kevin Primeau (who also
              played in the WHA pre-Olympics), David Hindmerch, Jim Nill (524 NHL games),
              Kevin Maxwell, Don Spring, Tim Watters (741 NHL games). Only 11 - so the USA
              team wins that stat too. With that many good players, you have to wonder if
              it was goaltending that held them back.

              Side note: 1980 Team member and my old friend Ron Davidson "coulda, woulda,
              shoulda" but his dad made him go to Law School... Ron eventually left that
              and is one of the most respected hockey school instructors in Ontario, based
              in Peterborough now and also running all the skills development programs out
              of the Ottawa Senators minor hockey complex next to the Corel Centre. I told
              him I made him famous... the first game of organized minor hockey we both
              played he scored 5 goals on me and that gave him the confidence to go on to
              hockey success :)

              Dave in Whitby
              (February's coming, couldn't let that USA post go by without a matching
              Canadian one:)
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 1, 2005
                I can say that goaltending was A LOT of the issue! I was actually AT the
                Finland game where the key goal was this lame clearing attempt by the
                Finns from their own end that drifted in and the Canadian goalie fanned
                on it! I often wondered if they had won that game and didn't collapse in
                the last 5 minutes against the Soviets if they would have been the
                "miracle on ice." They had handled the Americans pretty well all year...

                The two differences were that the Americans had a hot goalie, Canada did
                not. And the Americans seemed to have luck on their side, anything that
                could go right DID go right, they were one of those teams that you see
                at a tournament that just had that aura, they were not even close to the
                best team there but they were on a roll, playing on all cylinders and
                lady luck taking a liking to them. In contrast the Canadians had Mr.
                Murphy with them at the bar..."anything that can go wrong WILL go wrong
                and at the WORST possible time..." Things went wrong against the Finns
                and Soviets the two teams where they could NOT afford it to. People
                forget that the Canadians had the Russians on the ropes until the last 5
                minutes and lost to Finland in a close one thanks to that fluke
                goal...We also forget how lucky the US was in some of its
                games....Sweden had their game won but blew it in the last seconds, the
                Soviets got flustered and pulled Tretiak and as players from that team
                that I have met down over the years have said "we were not the same
                without Tretiak we didn't have the same confidence." They were less than
                dominant.

                I have to agree, Team Canada was a goalie and a lady away...lady luck.

                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 11, 2005
                  Team Canada originally had planned on Paul Reinhart joining the
                  program as well, but he unexpectedly made the Flames right out of
                  junior.

                  Canada had a couple of close games where they come up a timely goal
                  shy. If I may make such a suggestion, Reinhart would have been the
                  best individual player on that team at that time, and just may have
                  been the guy to provide some timely scoring.

                  --
                  Joe Pelletier