Re: Jacques Demers

  • PCMP
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 1, 2005
      Hi all,

      I anyone has the English version of this book, I would
      love to see the pages on Demers' time in the WHA --
      especially his days in Indianapolis. Any and all
      healpis appreciated!

      best,
      Timothy Gassen
      whaRACERS.com

      --- wymanmike <justsomeguy@...> wrote:

      > There are excerpts in today's Journal de Montreal
      > covering the deaths
      > of his parents. Tomorrow they'll run something on
      > his move from St.
      > Louis to Detroit and Tuesday's selection will cover
      > the '93 Habs Cup
      > victory.
      >
      > --- In hockhist@yahoogroups.com, "J.P. Martel"
      > <jpmartel_18@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > > --- In hockhist@yahoogroups.com, "Chantel
      > Cummings" <bram23@b...>
      > > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Does anyone know where I can find a good
      > biography of
      > > > Jacques Demers, preferably in English? Thanks
      > for the help!
      > > >
      > > It's coming out this week. Called "En toutes
      > lettres", and written
      > > with the help of Mario Leclerc, Demers'
      > autobiography will tell
      > > us about his hockey career, which started in the
      > Côte-des-Neiges
      > > district of Montréal, in the 1950s.
      > >
      > > J.-Patrice

      __________________________________
      http://farechase.yahoo.com
    • Andrew
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 2, 2005
        http://biz.yahoo.com/iw/051025/099075.html

        __________________________________
        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • J.P. Martel
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 3, 2005
          > --- In hockhist@yahoogroups.com, PCMP <purplecactusmedia@y...> wrote:
          >
          > Hi all,
          >
          > I anyone has the English version of this book, I would
          > love to see the pages on Demers' time in the WHA --
          > especially his days in Indianapolis. Any and all
          > healpis appreciated!

          The English version will be released mid-February.

          For those who haven't heard, Demers confesses that, to this day,
          he can barely read or write. He's learned to lie to hide the fact,
          and apparently no one close to him has ever found out, except
          the woman who shares his life (and even she didn't find out for
          a while).

          Québec literacy group are thrilled that someone as well-known
          and respected as Demers has come out and admitted this. It
          should help dispel the myth that illeteracy is linked to the
          lack of intelligence.

          J.-Patrice
        • goaliedave
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 3, 2005
            Ahh... now it becomes clearer... it's a vehicle for acquiring cheap real
            estate, and having that pay for the teams. And it works so well when
            Ottawa's founders tried it....

            Dave in Whitby
          • Andrew
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 3, 2005
              Even the Tampa Bay Lightning were part of a valuable
              land deal a few years back when they were
              bottomfeeders...

              __________________________________
              http://farechase.yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 3, 2005
                It is a smart approach. It deflects the issue away from the hockey, sort
                of as I suggested with the apparel. The CHL merged with Global
                Management and is into building arenas and it has worked out NICELY. Not
                a bad idea but they will be starting from scratch on the arena side and
                will have to build a yup a team, connections, a reputation etc none of
                which is as simple as it sounds. For example a group that I am helping
                right now want to buy a minor prop team and build an arena. But they
                have to get/wait for zoning variance and it is more a political dance
                than anything even when the land is there sometimes. This whole thing
                alone may take a year!

                Even the Tampa Bay Lightning were part of a valuable
                land deal a few years back when they were
                bottomfeeders...

                --- goaliedave <goaliedave@...> wrote:

                > Ahh... now it becomes clearer... it's a vehicle for
                > acquiring cheap real
                > estate, and having that pay for the teams. And it
                > works so well when
                > Ottawa's founders tried it....
                >
                > Dave in Whitby

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • mtlhockey@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 6, 2005
                  In a message dated 11/3/2005 9:24:05 AM Pacific Standard Time,
                  wausport@... writes:

                  > The CHL merged with Global
                  > Management and is into building arenas and it has worked out NICELY

                  Just to clarify, the CHL is owned by Global Entertainment. That company was
                  started by the guys who ran the WPHL. They acquired ICC, an arena building
                  company and also have acquired a ticket distribution company( get tix) and also
                  have merged with Cragar Industries in order to become public.

                  Brian

                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 7, 2005
                    Yes I should have worded that better. Thanks Brian!

                    And this points out the difference between the WHA venture and the CHL
                    one. ICC was pre existent. Unless the WHA buys a concern it is going
                    from scratch.

                    Global does a nice job! I had a group look at them for an arena once.
                    Unfortunately it never came to fruition. But they are a GREAT group! A
                    most impressive group of nice buildings built.

                    But it is a TOUGH COMPETITIVE racket! This is why the symbiotic
                    relationship between a going minor pro concern and such a venture makes
                    sense. Now the WHA is not really a going concern. NO ONE is going to
                    want to build a rink for a Junior C team! And their pro league lacks any
                    shape or real business plan right now. So the logic is "well we'll just
                    build our own buildings for it" is putting the cart in front of the
                    horse! The American soccer people got their league first THEN started on
                    buildings! You need a league to justify a building and there is no
                    league...

                    Now if they focus on doing reasonable size buildings they may do ok. But
                    it won't be easy. They will have to get the people on board to do
                    quality jobs for reasonable prices. NOT EASY!

                    In other words, I know that it isn't burning a hole in my pocket to
                    become a part of my portfolio personally and unless someone has some
                    "Vegas money" (plus a real Vegas mentality of "let it ride...its only
                    money") hidden in the mattress I would not suggest it to them! The
                    giants are tough to beat for the big jobs and the small jobs also have a
                    plethora of people that do them. And if they seek to own small rinks,
                    well, there is an adage in the industry that seems to be more right than
                    wrong...it is usually the THIRD management group that does ok...I think
                    the reason is that the first group generally is so leveraged that they
                    can't do things really right and in the struggle to try to go into worse
                    debt...the second group pays the price for the first groups aura...it
                    takes a third group to wipe the slate clean and gets things going ok.

                    Good luck to them! It will not be a simple task....what AMAZES me about
                    these guys is that the simplest niche is right there in front of them
                    yet they do not use it. Maybe it isn't "sexy" enough for them or maybe
                    they just don't have the patience or acumen to make it work. But the
                    apparel and logos that they own are a way to IMMEDIATELY have a turn
                    over and ancillary connections and results. They are always picking the
                    HARD way! "Gee lets start a pro league....no a minor league...well no
                    lets try to get into junior hockey by starting at the lowest possible
                    level....well why don't we build arenas." It is like saying "I want to
                    start rock climbing...I know I'll go to Everest first and if that fails
                    how about Kiliminjaro...ok, ok I got it, since those two don't work how
                    about Mount McKinley." And all of this when there is a decent and EASIER
                    rock in your own back yard! They could even have just bought a team in a
                    LEGITIMATE league to gain experience. After all if they have the money
                    to try all of this they MUST have the money to but a minor pro team or
                    teams...or higher level junior teams...

                    It is too bad because they DO have something to sell yet it is the one
                    thing they have no focus on! Now if they told me that they were starting
                    an apparel line I just might buy a share or two...it is the ONE thing
                    that is all but a slam dunk and not a pie in the sky for them.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 9, 2005
                      --- "J.P. Martel" <jpmartel_18@...> wrote:

                      > The English version will be released mid-February.

                      Hi all,

                      Really? I was told (by someone at the book's press
                      release party) that the publisher had no plans for an
                      English version.

                      Anyone have more info? Or, have any French speakers
                      read the book, and can they tell me how many pages
                      cover Demers' time in the WHA and in Indy?

                      Many thanks!

                      Timothy Gassen
                      whaRACERS.com

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • Andrew
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 9, 2005
                        How does Jacques know the book was written accurately?

                        http://farechase.yahoo.com