Yvon Lambert question

  • a79krgm
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2005
      I was reading on old Canadiens Media guide ... listed under Lambert's
      career statistics was the following :

      "Drafted from the Forth Worth Wings by the Montreal Voyageurs in
      reverse draft June 1971"

      Does anyone know what the story behind this is? I have always thought
      that Lambert was drafted by the Canadiens and then assigned to their
      farm team.

      Thanks, Ken
      webmaster@...
    • Karkoski James
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2005
        On 2005.10.2, at 10:44 AM, a79krgm wrote:

        > I was reading on old Canadiens Media guide ... listed under Lambert's
        > career statistics was the following :
        >
        > "Drafted from the Forth Worth Wings by the Montreal Voyageurs in
        > reverse draft June 1971"
        >
        > Does anyone know what the story behind this is? I have always thought
        > that Lambert was drafted by the Canadiens and then assigned to their
        > farm team.

        He was drafted by the Red Wings in the 3rd round of the 1970 amateur
        draft.

        James
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 2, 2005
          HE was Detroit property and until the early/mid 70's the NHL had a
          reverse draft where they had to submit a list of players who could then
          be selected by minor pro clubs. It was a vestige of the old 6 team era
          when there were a ton of independent minor pro teams.

          I was reading on old Canadiens Media guide ... listed under Lambert's
          career statistics was the following :

          "Drafted from the Forth Worth Wings by the Montreal Voyageurs in
          reverse draft June 1971"

          Does anyone know what the story behind this is? I have always thought
          that Lambert was drafted by the Canadiens and then assigned to their
          farm team.

          Thanks, Ken
          webmaster@...

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • a79krgm
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 2, 2005
            Thanks, ... so it seems like Detroit never gave him a chance in their
            organization as he never did play a game for them or the Fort Worth
            Wings. Perhaps this was indicative of the downfall of that franchise
            in the 70's?

            On the other hand, the Habs sure got a lot of mileage out of him. What
            team wouldn't want a big fiery French-Canadian who could get you a
            consistent 20+ goals a season?

            --- In hockhist@yahoogroups.com, "William Underwood" <wausport@b...>