Re: [hockhist] Farm teams

  • DAVE SOUTTER
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 30, 2005
      Risto:

      From what I've heard through the years, the term "Farm Team" comes from baseball. "Farm Team" was sort of a generic term to describe any small-town team. The term was probably first used in the 1890's.

      In the early days of professional baseball, if a player made a lot of errors, or was a poor hitter, he would be released from the big club and sent packing to a lower-level team. This was before the major leagues had an organized minor-league system as they do today. The lower-level baseball teams were generally located in small towns, or farming communities, and became known as "farm teams". Many baseball players grew up in these farming communities and lived on farms, and playing baseball became a popular pastime in these towns.

      The term "farm team" was later used to describe any minor-league affiliate of the major-league team. The farm team "cultivates talent" for the big club. The term originated in baseball, but has been used for hockey for almost as long as baseball.

      --Dave Soutter

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 3, 2005
        A baseball term, although first used in hockey when the New York
        Americans bought New Haven in 1928 (like there are farms near Yale).

        The name "farm team" is a mataphor. Most of the small towns who
        were not large enough to support major league baseball were in
        farming communities, and many baseball players (such as Bob Feller)
        honed their skills by throwing against the side of a barn.

        At the same time, farm indicates growing something, and an athlete
        sent down to the farm is supposed to grow up into a major league
        player.

        Morey

        --- In hockhist@yahoogroups.com, "Risto Pakarinen" <risto@r...>