What ever happened to Orval Tessier?

  • a79krgm
    Message 1 of 5 , May 30, 2005
      In 1982 he won the Calder Cup with New Brunswick Hawks and then led
      Chicago Blackhawks to their best finish in nearly a decade. For his
      efforts he was awarded the Jack Adams Award as coach of the year. In
      1985 he was replaced by his boss, GM Bob Pulford.

      I've remember hearing that he didn't get along with his players. But,
      why didn't he get second chance? ... Treating players badly never
      stopped Mike Keenan career.

      - Ken (webmaster@...)
    • J.P. Martel
      Message 2 of 5 , May 30, 2005
        > --- In hockhist@yahoogroups.com, "a79krgm" <a79krgm@p...> wrote:
        > In 1982 he won the Calder Cup with New Brunswick Hawks and then led
        > Chicago Blackhawks to their best finish in nearly a decade. For his
        > efforts he was awarded the Jack Adams Award as coach of the year. In
        > 1985 he was replaced by his boss, GM Bob Pulford.
        >
        > I've remember hearing that he didn't get along with his players. But,
        > why didn't he get second chance? ... Treating players badly never
        > stopped Mike Keenan career.

        Did Mike Keenan ever say that his players "needed a heart transplant"?

        Tessier said that during the 1983 playoffs, when the Blackhawks
        were eliminated by the Oilers in four straight games in the
        conference final. Perhaps not surprisingly, in the following year,
        Chicago only got 68 points, down from 104, and were eliminated in
        the first round by Minnesota (although they did take the series
        to the 5-game limit).

        They were pretty much on the same pace (22W-28L-3T-47Pts) when
        he was fired after 53 games into the 1984-85 season. The move
        seemed to help, as they played for .667 for the remainder of
        the season, up from .443 under Tessier. They also made their way
        to the conference final, where they lost (again) to the Oilers,
        but this time in 6 games (strange series: Edmondon's four wins had
        a cumulative score of 36-12).

        Tessier went back to coach the Cornwall Royals in 1986-87, where
        he'd already coached for five seasons, between 1971-72, and 1977-78.
        This time (with the team in the OHL, rather than the QMJHL),
        he stayed for three uneven seasons. The first one was quite
        mediocre, while the second one was pretty good: they finished
        fifth in a 15-team league, however they only made it to
        the second round (quarter-finals). The third year, they got a
        poorer regular-season record, and finished seventh in the league,
        but made it to the semi-finals this time.

        I don't know if he resigned or was fired, but he was replaced by
        Marc Crawford the following season.

        Tessier went on to be a scout for the Colorado Avalanche. His
        name is on the Stanley Cup for 2001.

        J.-Patrice
      • francz
        Message 3 of 5 , May 30, 2005
          I remember the "let's stop off at the Mayo Clinic/heart transplants" quote, too. It got a lot of press play. But didn't Denis Savard also kind of stop playing for Orval? When a big wheel like Savvy quits on you, your days are numbered.

          Rob in 905

          "J.P. Martel" <jpmartel_18@...> wrote:
          > --- In hockhist@yahoogroups.com, "a79krgm" <a79krgm@p...> wrote:
          > In 1982 he won the Calder Cup with New Brunswick Hawks and then led
          > Chicago Blackhawks to their best finish in nearly a decade. For his
          > efforts he was awarded the Jack Adams Award as coach of the year. In
          > 1985 he was replaced by his boss, GM Bob Pulford.
          >
          > I've remember hearing that he didn't get along with his players. But,
          > why didn't he get second chance? ... Treating players badly never
          > stopped Mike Keenan career.

          Did Mike Keenan ever say that his players "needed a heart transplant"?

          Tessier said that during the 1983 playoffs, when the Blackhawks
          were eliminated by the Oilers in four straight games in the
          conference final. Perhaps not surprisingly, in the following year,
          Chicago only got 68 points, down from 104, and were eliminated in
          the first round by Minnesota (although they did take the series
          to the 5-game limit).

          They were pretty much on the same pace (22W-28L-3T-47Pts) when
          he was fired after 53 games into the 1984-85 season. The move
          seemed to help, as they played for .667 for the remainder of
          the season, up from .443 under Tessier. They also made their way
          to the conference final, where they lost (again) to the Oilers,
          but this time in 6 games (strange series: Edmondon's four wins had
          a cumulative score of 36-12).

          Tessier went back to coach the Cornwall Royals in 1986-87, where
          he'd already coached for five seasons, between 1971-72, and 1977-78.
          This time (with the team in the OHL, rather than the QMJHL),
          he stayed for three uneven seasons. The first one was quite
          mediocre, while the second one was pretty good: they finished
          fifth in a 15-team league, however they only made it to
          the second round (quarter-finals). The third year, they got a
          poorer regular-season record, and finished seventh in the league,
          but made it to the semi-finals this time.

          I don't know if he resigned or was fired, but he was replaced by
          Marc Crawford the following season.

          Tessier went on to be a scout for the Colorado Avalanche. His
          name is on the Stanley Cup for 2001.

          J.-Patrice

        • nieforth
          Message 4 of 5 , May 30, 2005
            Kitchener Rangers head coach, June 16, 1980 (Mem. Cup Tourn.)
            New Brunswick Hawks head coach, Aug. 21, 1981
            Chicago head coach, June 16, 1982, fired Feb. 3, 1985
            Ass't coach on the 1977 World Junior Team
            Coached Sagueneens de Chicoutimi

            ------

            Honored Black Hawk coach rues heart-transplant remark

            Globe and Mail
            S2

            UNIONDALE, N.Y. (Staff) - If Chicago Black Hawk coach Orval Tessier
            had it to do over again, he would take back his playoff suggestion
            that his players needed a heart transplant.

            Tessier made his heart-transplant remark during the Campbell
            Conference final between Chicago and Edmonton Oilers.

            "I think that, if I had it to do over again, I might not make the
            comments in the same way," Tessier said before he was honored
            yesterday as National Hockey League coach of the year at the league's
            Stanley Cup luncheon.

            "It was never intended to hurt anybody; it was intended to wake us up
            because we had gone through our two most frustrating games of the
            year."

            Tessier led the Hawks to a first-place finish in the Norris Division
            and their best regular-season record in almost a decade, reviving
            hockey interest in Chicago.

            "I made a lot of mistakes, the same as anybody else does," Tessier
            said. "It's up to me to spend the summer trying to figure out which
            mistakes were good mistakes and which mistakes were bad mistakes.

            "The handling of players is the toughest thing I had to face in
            comparsion to junior hockey or the American Hockey League."
          • J.P. Martel
            Message 5 of 5 , May 31, 2005
              Good find Joseph.

              Here's Orval Tessier's full (I think) coaching career (except
              for international tournaments, like the 1977 World Junior):

              1971-72 Cornwall Royals (QMJHL) 62G-47W-13L-2T-96Pts Won Mem. Cup,
              QMJHL's First All-Team (coach)
              1972-73 Québec Remparts (QMJHL) 64G-49W-11L-4T-102Pts Lost Mem. Cup
              Final, QMJHL's Second All-Star Team
              1974-75 Cornwall Royals (QMJHL) 71G-36W-23L-12T-84Pts Eliminated in
              first round of playoffs, QMJHL's First All-Star Team
              1975-76 Cornwall Royals (QMJHL) 70G-38W-23L-9T-85Pts Eliminated in
              second round of playoffs, QMJHL West Division's First All-Star Team
              1976-77 Cornwall Royals (QMJHL) 72G-38W-24L-10T-86Pts Eliminated in
              second round of playoffs
              1977-78 Cornwall Royals (QMJHL) 68G-44W-16L-8T-96Pts Eliminated in
              second round of playoffs, QMJHL's Second All-Star Team
              1978-79 Chicoutimi Saguenéens (QMJHL) 72G-26W-36L-10T-62Pts
              Eliminated in first round of playoffs
              1979-80 Chicoutimi Saguenéens (QMJHL) 72G-42W-27L-3T-87Pts
              Eliminated in second round of playoffs, QMJHL's Third All-Star Team
              (note: for some reason, there were two coaches, of different teams,
              on the Second All-Star Team)
              1980-81 Kitchener Rangers (OHL) 68G-34W-33L-1T-69Pts Lost Mem. Cup
              Final, OHL's Third All-Star Team
              1981-82 New Brunswick Hawks (AHL) 80G-48W-21L-11T-107Pts Won Calder
              Cup (note: he didn't win the coach of the year award, but I don't
              know if All-Star teams had coaches; that one piece of info I
              couldn't find)
              1982-83 Chicago Blackhawks (NHL) 80G-47W-23L-10T-104Pts Eliminated
              in Conference Finals, Won Jack Adams Award
              1983-84 Chicago Blackhawks (NHL) 80G-30W-42L-8T-68Pts Eliminated in
              Division Semi-Finals
              1984-85 Chicago Blackhawks (NHL) 53G-22W-28L-3T-45Pts (fired)
              1986-87 Cornwall Royals (OHL) 66G-23W-40L-3T-49Pts Eliminated in
              first round of playoffs
              1987-88 Cornwall Royals (OHL) 66G-35W-24L-7T-77Pts Eliminated in
              Quarter-Finals (2nd round)
              1988-89 Cornwall Royals (OHL) 66G-31W-30L-5T-67Pts Eliminated in
              Semi-Finals (3rd round)

              Of course, there are several leagues and several levels in these,
              but out of curiosity, I added up his total record:

              1110G-590W-414L-106T; Avg.: .579

              Not bad. In 16 seasons, he won a Memorial Cup and a Calder Cup, was
              a Memorial Cup tournament finalist twice more, was on seven All-Star
              teams, and won the Jack Adams Award.

              J.-Patrice