Re: Hockey Net Size

  • goaliedave
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 1 5:00 AM
      Trying to increase scoring by increasing the net size is the way of the
      wimps and those who want hockey as 100%entertainment not sport. Why not go
      back to leather pads too while you're at it.

      Real hockey people would:
      - have refs enforce the rule book for interference and stick infractions to
      free players up on the ice
      - have more games against teams in your own division so that games mean
      more, players travel less, and the product improves
      - have forwards work as hard to improve as goalies have. When was the last
      time yousaw and NHL skater attend hockey school in the summer? Many pro
      goalies do.

      Whatever tinkering the hockey gods do, goalies and coaches will adapt so why
      bother? Just call the rules.

      Dave in Whitby
    • Frank TEX Liebmann
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 1 5:14 AM
        One thing I haven't heard in all this discussion, indeed, in the standard arguments is ice
        temperature. About a month ago, I took my daughter to a Grizzlies game. They had a post-game
        skate. The ice was soft. It was probably about 60-70F (15-20C) at waist level. When I go
        elsewhere, I'd freeze if I were in a t-shirt. Is slow ice a contributor to the lack of offense?

        Frank

        --- goaliedave <goaliedave@...> wrote:
        > Trying to increase scoring by increasing the net size is the way of the
        > wimps and those who want hockey as 100%entertainment not sport. Why not go
        > back to leather pads too while you're at it.
        >
        > Real hockey people would:
        > - have refs enforce the rule book for interference and stick infractions to
        > free players up on the ice
        > - have more games against teams in your own division so that games mean
        > more, players travel less, and the product improves
        > - have forwards work as hard to improve as goalies have. When was the last
        > time yousaw and NHL skater attend hockey school in the summer? Many pro
        > goalies do.
        >
        > Whatever tinkering the hockey gods do, goalies and coaches will adapt so why
        > bother? Just call the rules.
        >
        > Dave in Whitby

        Frank TEX Liebmann ( ������ )
        http://texliebmann.go.to http://texhockeyworld.go.to texliebmann@...
        My Hats: Electrical Engineer (Looking for employment); Section Chief: C Btry 1/145 FA; Founder: Hockey History E-Mail List
        Ph C: 801-362-0952
        ICQ: W: 99769530 H: 33752521
        The eyes of Texas are upon you
      • thegiantdevilfish
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 1 9:39 PM
          Goalies have gotten bigger. Equpiment had gotten bigger. Yet people
          are whining when the NHL is contemplating making the nets bigger?

          I say bring it on!!
        • jpdornberger
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 2 6:07 PM
            Spoken like a true goalie Dave. Afraid of a bigger goal? My 13 year
            old covers the same goal as an adult. Should try being a soccer 24 X
            8 now that's a goal! <just teasing>

            Jim Dornberger

            --- In hockhist@yahoogroups.com, "goaliedave" <goaliedave@s...> wrote:
            > Trying to increase scoring by increasing the net size is the way of
            the
            > wimps and those who want hockey as 100%entertainment not sport. Why
            not go
            > back to leather pads too while you're at it.
            >
            > Real hockey people would:
            > - have refs enforce the rule book for interference and stick
            infractions to
            > free players up on the ice
            > - have more games against teams in your own division so that games
            mean
            > more, players travel less, and the product improves
            > - have forwards work as hard to improve as goalies have. When was
            the last
            > time yousaw and NHL skater attend hockey school in the summer? Many
            pro
            > goalies do.
            >
            > Whatever tinkering the hockey gods do, goalies and coaches will
            adapt so why
            > bother? Just call the rules.
            >
            > Dave in Whitby
          • goaliedave
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 4 8:23 PM
              Hey Jim,
              Someone has to stick up for the goalies and be the voice of reason :)

              As you've no doubt noted, there were only glib remarks and no logical
              replies to why goalies are picked on. I understand that it is hard for
              frustrated forwards (and they fill the hockey management ranks) to see just
              how much goalies have improved in the last 15 years. I am just amazed that
              they don't see the simple fact that if all proposed changes applied equally
              to all players, the game would be exactly how we all want it, namely;

              - reduce the size of all equipment. Make them wear 1980s equipment. Take
              away the amour forwards and defensemen wear. This would reduce the stickwork
              and allow more offensive play.
              - call the rule book. I agree with Bill, the goalie should be gair game like
              the rule book says, but then they need to call all the interference as well.
              The goalies only started playing the puck becuase the defence are obstructed
              from getting to it.
              - get rid of all red lines (centre, goal line outside the net, and AHL
              goalie movement areas). This will stop the dump ins which force the goalie
              to play the puck.
              - bring back the banana blade. It'll just allow the goalies to see the puck
              better, since the forwards and defence will all be scurrying to the corners.

              Common sense and all the lacrosse stories recently have stated that bigger
              nets make the game more defensive. In lacrosse, it forced the coaches and
              teams to play more defensive, man on man, and so most goals now are
              wraparounds or scrums. That will make the quality of the hockey worse.

              Having more rivalries would make the goalies more familiar to the skaters,
              so they would be able to analyze their weaknesses more and score more. At
              this point, goalies are the only ones smart enough to keep 'books' on
              players' tendancies. I suppose skaters are too busy with endorsements and
              golf swings to work on this aspect of their career.

              Jim, I agree with your point completely, that kids shouldn't play the rink
              or goals the same size as adults. Why not just make the rink bigger so that
              they get more scoring opportunities? Or are you afraid that goalies have
              improved at such a greater rate than skaters in the last 15 years that you
              think their only hope is to radically change the game? I suppose skaters are
              too busy with endorsements and golf swings to work on their shots in the
              summer. Even the best golfers still hit hundreds of balls every day in
              practice.

              Dave in Whitby
              President, goalie brotherhood

              Message: 12