RE: [hockhist] One more question on the 1974 Ranger/Flyer Series

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 28, 2005
      >What exactly is the definition of a "Gross Misconduct?"

      Any time anyone commits what is in the referees discretion gross
      conduct. Altercation with a spectator, post game verbal abuse, racial
      taunts, grabbing a face mask or spitting are all specifically mentioned.
      I'm not as sure what the criteria were in the 70's , I'll have to look
      that one up.

      Actually the more appropriate penalty would have been a match penalty
      which specifies hair pulling as one of the criteria and I believe also
      did at the time.

      >I agree with the what you are saying about the Flyers but will also say
      having watched these games I had forgotten just how good Rick MacLeish
      was. My goodness this fellow would have been at home playing for the
      late 50's Canadien's or even the 70's Soviet Nationals. What a wonderful
      skater and truly so gifted. His opening goal in game 3 of this series
      was unbelievable (he scored on the power play - he broke into the Ranger
      zone, was "tackled" >by Rod Seiling and while falling still snapped a
      shot past Ed Giacomon.)

      There is no question about that! He was not your typical Flayer player
      of that era. And there were some very talented players. Bobby Clarke was
      a great player. Bill Barber and Jimmy Watson were also nice players. And
      Bladon was a skilled defenceman. There was a VERY talented core but
      their depth was not the same as other clubs if they were at their best.

      >But I still go back to my first point. If the officials simply enforced
      the rule back then as it was written the Flyers could not have been
      successful. Just watching game 3 as Brian Lewis called all stick fouls
      and obstruction and as a result allowed the Rangers to skate the Flyers
      could not cope with >the Rangers speed. Rod Gilbert in particular had a
      field day against them.

      Hmmmm, I think that it would have hurt them but not quite as badly as
      you think. The Flyers could also play a flat out nasty physical game and
      were a good systemized team. They were a very good positional team. They
      were a team that thanks to Parent and a solid system, it was tough to
      get more than 3 past them and if those core scorers were on they could
      be VERY tough.