Re: WHAT A BUNCH OF JERKS

  • joe_gucciardo@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 33 , Feb 5 7:06 PM
      Bill,

      The owners are taking a huge risk here as well.

      You are right, hockey fans are loyal. But the game will suffer
      severe consequences when it returns. They will lose revenues from so
      many different sources, and not from just a drop-off in fan
      attendance.

      You even mention that some franchises may have to fold. We'll that's
      great if you are not one of those franchises. The funny thing is
      that the prime candidates for folding are the franchises that
      Bettman's in bed with.

      Bill, I know you are pro-owner - but everyone is to blame and
      everyone loses.

      P.S. - You can't try to go from a free-market system to a hard-cap
      system without trying some intermediate ideas first. I know the
      whole speech against revenue sharing and luxury taxes, but that's
      were a short-term deal could have been made.

      Joe

      --- In hockhist@yahoogroups.com, "William Underwood" <wausport@b...>
      wrote:
      > I'm not so sure it will be all that bad Joe. Hockey fans are a
      loyal
      > bunch. Where there are real fans they will be back. And even in
      places
      > where the game is more anonymous, how angry can people be about a
      sport
      > being gone that they are not even aware is gone? The game may well
      be
      > stronger. You might lose markets that don't belong and get a
      smaller
      > league with better competition. Or you may see the same teams back
      but
      > the league more sensitive to its market.
      >
      > As for franchise values, with a cap they may actually be better
      off. A
      > prime reason why teams have been tougher to sell as sand in the
      Sahara
      > or an outdoor nudist resort at the north pole ahs been the crazy
      > economics. A more sensible system will make people more interested
      in
      > buying. It will also male more venues able to support hockey. I
      know
      > there are nay sayers but a reasonable cap COULD (not WILL) allow a
      > Winnipeg or Quebec to seriously look at getting back into things.
      It
      > would also give places like Portland and Houston more security in
      > looking at teams. There would be more takers!
      >
      > Having a season for the sake of having a season under a half assed
      CBA
      > would do more harm. Franchise values would collapse and you would
      see
      > teams die. Oddly enough you would see both sides of the pro and
      anti
      > expansion crowd weep. In Canada teams like Edmonton, Calgary and
      Ottawa
      > would be gone. And in the US, a lot of the newer non traditional
      markets
      > would have a death sentence. Miami, Raleigh, Nashville and Atlanta
      would
      > all probably die!
      >
      > Franchise values have stagnated because if three reasons. One, an
      > artificial value set by expansion. Two, there has been a 10 year
      boom
      > era for sports that has slowed as of the past 5 years. Three, a bad
      > economic system in the NHL has been a killer that has infected it
      more
      > than other sports. The third issue will be gone! The best teams
      will
      > have an even better bottom line with 20-40 million in costs gone,
      the
      > smaller markets will be able to survive and more places that don't
      have
      > teams now will be able to look at them. It may well arrest the
      current
      > difficulty that teams have had in being sold. There have been some
      on
      > the market for between 3 and 5 years with no takers under this
      system.
      > Once more, they may well be things that fewer people want to sell.
      > Another fourth problem has been that the market is glutted with NHL
      > teams for sale relative to other sports. It is actually a buyers
      market.
      > With a good hard cap linked to revenue you may well see less
      with "for
      > sale...must go" signs on the door.
      >
      > As for player salaries...you will be absolutely right if the
      players
      > don't wake up and smell the coffee! If they push the owners to the
      point
      > of impasse they could lose out more and if not if they force a
      > reorganization they will DOUBTLESSLY lose more! They don't realize
      how
      > good the offer is right now! In all honesty the owners are
      probably off
      > by 5-10 million for real safety. I tend to think that range should
      be
      > more 25-35 mill! And if they REALLY want to get nasty in a new
      structure
      > they COULD make Goodenow's boogie man of "no more guaranteed deals
      and
      > no arbitration" a self fulfilling prophecy. The fact is that the
      players
      > might get what they fear most by doing what they are doing now.
      Those
      > things are not being taken away by the current proposals, thus
      they are
      > fighting with wind mills, but if there is a reorganization, their
      > stubbornness now may well turn them into real dragons! Then more I
      think
      > about it the more I'd love to get Bob Goodenow to a poker table!
      He'd
      > keep on thinking you are bluffing and raise the pot against your 5
      > bullets with his three of a kind...a guy can rich that way! This
      is the
      > sort of negotiation we are seeing. Then owners could well have
      those 5
      > bullets with reorganization...Hey I'll bet he is free tonight! :)
      >
      > All joking aside, the players just don't realize how much worse it
      can
      > get. I think that they have had POOR leadership from day one.
      First they
      > had Alan Eagleson who robbed them deaf dumb and blind, now they
      have
      > Goodenow who got them the current deal more out of owner
      incompetence
      > than him being good. But there are new faces at the table now and
      > different circumstances. Hr hasn't read that and they will be the
      ones
      > to suffer if these guys are as determined as they seem to be.
      There is

      Message 33 of 33 , Feb 9 10:41 AM
        True. I just don’t see it happening in the NHL with its lack of TV and
        VAST disparity of markets without a hard cap.