Rod Gilbert Question

  • Craig
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 24, 2005
      Can anyone tell me if Rod Gilbert had a reputation of being a "trouble maker" when he was in his prime with the New York Rangers? I recently came across a quote by Phil Esposito who asked Emile Francis why Rod Gilbert would not replace Brad Park as captain of the Rangers and was told something to the effect that Gilbert would never, ever be the team captain.

      I also saw an interview years ago with Alan Eagleson who claimed that during the 1972 Summit he figured he would get a lot of trouble from Gilbert after he was benched after the debale of game 1 and was caught off guard when Rod was very classy about it. (Eagleson said he was surprised at how "sour" Vic Hadfield became after his benching.)

      Any thoughts, as prior to this I never heard anything negative about Gilbert.

    • joe_gucciardo@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 24, 2005
        I don't think Eagleson had any real issues with Rod Gilbert. The
        Summit Series was very unique. When you have to bench superstar
        players you are always concerned how they will react.

        Phil Esposito mentions Emile Francis's quote in his book. He thought
        that Gilbert should have been named captain when Espo first joined
        the Rangers. He disagreed with Francis's comments.

        Evidently Emile Francis and John Ferguson had issues with Gilbert.
        He was not a mucker and grinder. Despite his great statistics, he
        may have been perceived as a soft player, someone who didn't want to
        get his nose dirty (not captain material).

        I'm not sure if being French-Canadian had anything to do with him
        not being named captain of the Rangers. Others may know.

        Joe G.

        --- In hockhist@yahoogroups.com, "Craig" <argonauts25@s...> wrote:
        > Can anyone tell me if Rod Gilbert had a reputation of being
        a "trouble maker" when he was in his prime with the New York
        Rangers? I recently came across a quote by Phil Esposito who asked
        Emile Francis why Rod Gilbert would not replace Brad Park as captain
        of the Rangers and was told something to the effect that Gilbert
        would never, ever be the team captain.

        > I also saw an interview years ago with Alan Eagleson who claimed
        that during the 1972 Summit he figured he would get a lot of trouble
        from Gilbert after he was benched after the debale of game 1 and was
        caught off guard when Rod was very classy about it. (Eagleson said
        he was surprised at how "sour" Vic Hadfield became after his
        benching.)

        > Any thoughts, as prior to this I never heard anything negative
        about Gilbert.

        > Craig

      • Craig
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 25, 2005
          Joe,

          Thanks for the answer. It's funny while Rod Gilbert was clearly not a "scrapper" I don't remember him not going into the corners or being afraid of setting up in front of the net. Now that you mention it I remember reading Fergie's book and you are right - he was not a Gilbert fan. It would be interesting to know more!

        • zpmboca@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 26, 2005
            In a message dated 1/25/2005 12:00:09 AM Eastern Standard Time,
            joe_gucciardo@... writes:

            I'm not sure if being French-Canadian had anything to do with him
            not being named captain of the Rangers. Others may know.
            Camille Henry, who was French-Canadian, was Ranger captain after Andy
            Bathgate was traded. Thus, it seems unlikely that Gilbert's ancestry was the reason
            for denying him the position. Gilbert's personality and reputation as a hockey
            version of Joe Namath were probably the primary reasons.

            Z. Peter Mitchell

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 27, 2005
              I think that you at least in part hit the nail on the head...he was seen
              as one of New York's "eligible bachelor athletes" in that day...sort of
              a playboy.

              joe_gucciardo@... writes:

              I'm not sure if being French-Canadian had anything to do with him
              not being named captain of the Rangers. Others may know.
              Camille Henry, who was French-Canadian, was Ranger captain after Andy
              Bathgate was traded. Thus, it seems unlikely that Gilbert's ancestry was
              the reason
              for denying him the position. Gilbert's personality and reputation as a
              hockey
              version of Joe Namath were probably the primary reasons.

              Z. Peter Mitchell

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • todd.katz@rocketmail.com
              Message 6 of 7 , May 8, 2014
                ...an old resentment continues to nag me like a sharp pebble I can't seem to shake out of my shoe, and this long ago abandoned conversation is as likely place for me to finally find relief as any: John Ferguson was a hunk of s@#t.

                There -- I said it.

                I can't count the number of times and different ways he disrespected Rod Gilbert (and in doing so, all that makes hockey the beautiful and noble sport that it is), so I will allow Ferguson's own prideful words, recalling, in a 1977 Vancouver Sun article, one of our beloved game's most truly disgraceful moments, to capture not only the man's true essence, but also hinting at why Rod Gilbert was, shockingly, not named Rangers captain in 1976...

                -snip-

                Ferguson, who served as a special assistant to Sharks GM Doug Wilson until ill health forced him to the sidelines last season, brought that same scrappy mentality to his job as an assistant coach with Team Canada in 1972's Summit Series against the Russians. His win at-all-costs mentality made him a central figure in the series' most controversial moment -- when Bobby Clarke's slash broke Russian star Valerie Kharlamov's ankle.

                "I whispered in his [Clarke's] ear that Kharlamov had to be stopped," said Ferguson, not shying from his role even 35 years after the fact. "I knew I couldn't tell Rod Gilbert to do it. With Clarkie, I knew I wouldn't have to tell him twice.

                "You have to remember the times. That series was about more than hockey. There were no angels in that series on either side." ( http://www.canada.com/story_print.html?id=1d9b10dd-288f-4121-be9b-d8bda638f5ae&sponsor=  )

                Whatever.  Fugly Fergie - the anti-Paul Henderson.

                ...from 1966 - 1986 the Rangers missed the playoffs exactly twice: the 2 years he was at the helm.

                In a 2011 interview Gilbert uncharacteristically called a spade a spade and let it all out:

                -snip-

                Adam: After a lengthy contract dispute with the Rangers you ultimately retired. What made you decide not to try to play anywhere else?

                Rod: What happened was… I had lot of controversy with the trade of Jean Ratelle and Brad Park in 1975. That hurt me quite a bit and I didn’t feel.. it was starting new. They traded my two closest friends and I was not prepared to go backwards and rebuild. My goal was always to win the cup in New York. I was very passionate about that. Esposito came here and John Ferguson came [as GM] and he changed everything. He changed the uniform and I was upset about that. I wore it with pride and he changed it to his own liking and none of the fans could relate to that. I was upset with that and I let him know. I led the team in scoring the first year he was here. Then he wanted Esposito to be the leader but I had a bigger following. Walt Tkaczuk… they all looked up to me. He had to get rid of me to do that. I wasn’t happy. When they traded Middleton for Hodge and he went to score in Boston… it was the worst trade in Rangers history I think. I had 2 years on my contract and when they bought me out they offered me a job in management but that didn’t mean much considering they didn’t have me do much. I didn’t want to go to Hartford or Detroit or St. Louis because my goal was always to win the Cup so I wanted to stay here. Eventually I got Ferguson out of management and got the jersey back to the way it should be. So I think I accomplished what I wanted. ( Interviewing Rangers’ Legend Rod Gilbert )

                ...I guess I'm already feeling a bit better.

              • zpmboca@...