Re: Halifax and Baltimore

  • JstHkyCin@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 5, 2005
      Here's some great insight into hockey in Baltimore. It comes from a fan who
      is very well informed and is interesting.

      (1) The arena is an old building, was originally opened in 1962. Yes a new
      arena would be nice but if you are a die-hard hockey fan you will go anywhere
      to support and watch your team.
      When initial expansion of the NHL before the second 6 were in, hockey
      people from the NHL came down to check out Baltimore as a possible expansion
      franchise, when they saw the arena, especially the position of the stage which
      would have been about another 4-5000 seats they gave Baltimore a thumbs down.
      During Baltimore's last stay in the AHL (Bandit's 95-97) The last owner
      Mike Caggiano had a plan in the works to build a 10,000 seat arena
      south-southwest of Baltimore to insure hockey would stay and so the team could get
      better home dates. Everything was in place, Legg Mason would finance the venture
      then all of the sudden then Mayor Schmoke said he was considering a new arena
      down in the camden yards area to attract NBA/NHL! of course the county
      executive killed the plan and we eventually lost the team and our hockey future
      was at an end. If this arena would have been built we would have still been in
      the AHL today. As far as getting an NBA/NHL team, in his dreams, you think
      Baltimore would get a shot with the NBA/NHL solid in the D.C. market? I told
      him in a letter in his dreams! ( i told him a lot of other things because he
      said Baltimore was not a hockey town) HE is a big reason for hockey failure in
      this town.
      (2) There is a good hockey following in this town, lots of good die hard
      fans that know and love the game, BUT the problem is the MEDIA! till about
      the mid 80's the media gave hockey it's due, we had a GREAT core of media and
      we had 2 publications, News American, whose hockey coverage was the BEST!!!!
      and the Sun who treats hockey like the "Black Death" so guess which paper
      survived? Now the local media is just a matter of puppets and know nothing
      pretty boys that would not know a puck form a truck persay! In this town it is Pro
      football, Pro baseball, Horse racing, College football and basketball, the
      only time you hear anything about hockey is when something happens that gives
      hockey a black eye! if I hear from one of these #^*&#$^@# " I went to a fight
      and a hockey game broke out" i am going to punch someone's lights out!
      IF!!!!!!! hockey is to succeed here, The Media MUST, MUST give hockey it's due and
      give it POSITIVE support, but it will never happen I don't think!
      (3) As far as a NHL/AHL partnership between Washington and Baltimore we
      did have that from 1989-1993, I thought it was a good idea but a lot of
      people in Baltimore wanted nothing to do with the Capital organization, and of
      course geographically, which I have said for years is the best way to keep a
      league in good shape and the teams financially sound and fans happy is paramount!
      (4) Yes, the ECHL would be a nice fit, when Tom Ebright was planning on
      moving the team from Baltimore to Portland, Maine in a gesture of good faith
      he wanted to secure an ECHL team for Baltimore, but the hockey advocates
      thought that Ebright should not be involved with it and they would do their best
      to secure another team for the 93-94 season but it never happened.
      (5) there is talk of a new arena in Baltimore, either at 1 of 3 places,
      the old GM assembly plant in Dundalk that will go dark sometime this year.
      another spot is supposedly the old Exxon terminal in Canton (Ed Hale, 1st
      Mariner Bank) and last they have talked about put a new arena where the old one is
      But this would take 5 years nd all dates would be lost! They are talking an
      arena with seating of at least 18,000 for major league sports, BUT they don't
      understand it ain't coming here and I don't want it anyway because I could
      never afford the tickets! Let em dream, cause thats all it is!
      (6) As far as I now the Baltimore Clippers were owned by local
      businessman called the Hockey Advocates! a group of local businessman that did a GREAT
      job trying to keep hockey in my town for years and who i ALWAYS made sure
      when I saw them at the arena I said THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!
      (7) As far as did the Washington Capitals luring hockey supporters from
      Baltimore i would have to say i don't think so. Going back to Mayor Schmoke
      (whose term was from 1988-2000) In about 1989 he turned the running of the
      Baltimore arena over to Center Management out of "WASHINGTON D.C." Now here is
      the kick in the gut, guess who owned and ran Center Management, Abe Polin, who
      at that time owned the Washington bullets and the Capitals. So who do you
      think received very little consideration for basketball and of course
      hockey????????????? I'll give you I guess! The Baltimore hockey teams could not and
      would not get prime dates, for example, how many people could attend a 1p.m.
      Monday game? No one, how could you fill the arena when you get dates like that.
      As the old saying goes "Garbage in, garbage out" This is what killed hockey
      here, and then the city council president Anthony Bell another jewel in our
      city government says that would seem like a conflict of interest!!!!!!!
      NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! how did he figure that? SMG out of Philadelphia took
      control of the arena in about 1999. I had several conversations with them about
      getting hockey back but we have had no ice since early 1997.
      in the fall of 2004 the UHL was planning on playing 2 neutral sight
      games at the Baltimore Arena between the Richmond Riverdogs and the Motor City
      Mechanics. The games were planned in April on a Friday and Saturday night
      consecutively. I talked to several officials from the UHL explaining how excited
      i was about and what i could do to make it work, i also had discussions with
      the Richmond office and they would be in touch with me about what i could do
      BUT!!!!!!! the plug was pulled in winter and the games are going to Roanoke
      because as i have heard and found out, they are hot and the enthusiasm is what
      the UHL wants so I think Roanoke is an in for next season! I bet we could
      have had at least 6-8000 for those games but we will never know! I have a name
      for my hometown, "HOCKEY HELL" We have good college and high school hockey
      but you would never know from the "RAG" for a newspaper in this town. If hockey
      is to make a comeback here this city has to do a 360 and getan attitude
      adjustment especially the media! I am hoping that before I die I get to see
      another team make out good in my town but I am not going to loose sleep over it I
      got my college and high school hockey and that will have to do and it will.
      i hoped this helped explain things and PLEASE fell free to contact me i
      would enjoy communicating with other hockey fans, THANK YOU, Paul

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 6, 2005
        I actually knew the owner of the Bandits before Caggiano.

        There were a lot of problems some of which were outlined here. But
        another thing that harmed their market is that Anaheim did a poor job of
        supporting the team. The way they seemed to approach it is "here is what
        we give you now pay us our damn developmental fee." They seemed to take
        ZERO interest in having a winning farm club and were the ultimate
        example of a bad parent organization.

        I still think a team can work there with, as this guy points out the
        right people running it in a better facility with media support.

        As for the UHL...I wouldn't worry too much. The UHL is famous for not
        handling ideas very well. No league in the entire history of the game
        has a bigger lust of franchises granted with no building that never
        operate. They may well get Roanoke but at the same time I can tell you
        that certain officials there would rather have a different league...ANY
        other league...the UHL doesn't have a great name in a lot of places.
        It's too bad too because it is not a bad league. It just has LOUSY
        leadership!

        I think that Baltimore will get another chance. I do know that most
        prospective ownership groups are scared off by the arena. It is old,
        with that darn stage, it lacks the bells and whistles of new buildings,
        is not located ideally and is in that "not really ideal size for
        anything category". I have no doubt that the real fan would go there,
        the problem lies in two things. When the writer commented about the UHL
        exhibitions not having the desired interest, he said a mouthful! The
        concern is that there are not enough real fans willing to go into the
        old arena to make a team profitable. Thus to attract the softer fan base
        a new building is needed.

        He also confirms what I have always thought was the case. Baltimore and
        Washington are sort of like Montreal and Quebec. Just because both teams
        are in Maryland does not mean that you will embrace a team in the other
        city. And I agree, the Caps DON'T want a Baltimore team of any note.
        They have enough attendance problems themselves without it!

        The media would HAVE to be won over in Baltimore and what better way is
        there to perk their interest than a new building?

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Howard and Alice Rosenthal
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 6, 2005
          During the Baltimore Bandits era, I went to several of their games and
          enjoyed them immensely. The fans I saw there were very enthusiastic, but
          there weren't very many of them there. I don't know how much better
          attendance was (or might have been) on weekends, but on weeknights the Arena
          was usually fairly empty.

          In those years, I worked in an office in Baltimore roughly one week every
          month, where I was surrounded by regular employees who worked there fulltime
          and lived in various Baltimore suburbs. I can't recall anyone working there
          ever initiating a single conversation about hockey. When I asked people who
          were interested in sports why that interest didn't extend to hockey, the
          answers I got usually referred to not liking the old Arena, or its
          neighborhood, or not wanting to stay in town at night; I don't think that
          any of them had ever gone to a hockey game.

          I know that talking to people in one large office is hardly a scientific
          sample of the area's population, but I strongly suspect that it was typical.
          Any owner who tried to put a new franchise into the Baltimore area now would
          almost have to start from scratch to build a fan base.

          Howard

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 6, 2005
            Like i said before if you are a fan you would sacrifice and go where ever
            your team's home ice was BECAUSE you loved the game and your team. As far as the
            attendance on weekends during the Bandit era, there were not many prime
            weekend games in the schedule which in turn led to Baltimore losing the AHL
            Bandits. Now when they say they don't like coming into town or they don't like the
            arena, ok they have a right to their feelings and opinion BUT i think it was
            just an excuse. My e-mail that JstHkyCin forwarded to your group covers the
            problem with the city's administration, media but i did not go into
            demographics. In the Schmoke administration there was the start of a mass exodus from
            Baltimore, this city lost 50% of it's population ( from 1.3 million to about
            650,000) The city went into a change that has affectted all blue collar
            families and kicked hockey in the gut! The economy is very poor as far as i am
            concerned. Our school system is in total disaray, 58 million in the hole that
            the city found money to bail itself out. This brings me to a point about a new
            arena, I don't think in it's present condition an arena is a priority for the
            city. A large percentage of your hockey fans are in the surrounding
            counties, and now either go to D.C. or Philadelphia to get some NHL action. A lot of
            people in this city have the mentality, especially almost all media personal
            that if it is not the "Big time" it ain't worth having, so minor league
            sports in a big city gives your sports people a bad taste and they just ignore it.
            I have considered moving from this city and heading up north to New England
            or west to Fort Wayne, but i still have my family here and i just will stick
            it out and hope for the best. A final statement on demographics, the mass
            exodus has left the tax paying base of Baltimore at 30%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Of
            course the had to build that purple elephant down camden yards that gets
            used about 11 times a year! When i hear of a team wanting to come to town i have
            had very enlightening discussions about all of this includiong what i sent
            to JstHkyCin and was forwarded to you. IT CAN be done but like i said last
            night the city and media need to do a 360 and they have to be recptive of a new
            hockey team and i have to tell you while i am hopefull it will not be easy. I
            will support anyone who brings a team to my town, win or lose it would my
            team in my town and what more could a die hard hockey fan in Baltimore ask?
            your comments are very welcome and appreciated! THANK YOU, Paul

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 6, 2005
              1. Like i said before if you are a fan you would sacrifice and go where ever

[...]

              2. I do agree with you on all points. I am sorry I forgot to mention the
              first owners of the Bandit's and the problems with Anahiem as our parent club.
              Better support from the parent club would have been a plus, and if Caggiano's
              planned arena would have come in like i said in last nights post we would
              still be in the AHL or at least have a team in some other league. I always
              wanted to devise a plan to kidnap Bob Chase from Fort Wayne and bring him here but
              all my friends in "Komet Kountry" would be after this East coast hockey
              puck! i would only be trying to bring the media to better state of hockey mind,
              LOL! I appreciate and respect your input. THANK YOU and hope to hear from you
              again! Paul