NHL Red Wings Alumni game vs Michigan Te...

  • C Julien
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2004
      Hi
      Not sure where that "Reminder" post came from, not from me, it is about 6 weeks late!!

      I did send a similar notice to this group in early September for the game that took place September 25 !! It was a great game and weekend of hockey exhibits and lectures went wonderful also. I will post more about the weekend and game to this group when I get the pictures from that weekend up on my webpage.

      Connie Julien
      Local hockey historian & webmaster
      www.cchockeyhistory.org
      www.birthplaceofprohockey.org
      CJ <(©¿©)>

      Date: Sunday, November 7, 2004
      Time: All Day

      We hope you plan to attend the NHL Red Wings Alumni game vs
      Michigan Tech University Alumni Saturday, Sept 25, as part of
      the 100th Anniversary of the Worlds First Pro Hockey League
      September 23-26, 2004
      The game will take place Saturday, September 25, 2004 at the
      MacInnis Student Ice Arena at MTU
      in Houghton in the Copper Country of Michigan's Western Upper
      Peninsula. Gordie Howe will drop the puck and Tony Esposito is
      expected to return to his college team, the Michigan Tech
      Huskies.
      For more information, visit this webpage:

      http://www.cchockeyhistory.org

      The Copper Country Hockey History includes the Worlds 1st Pro
      Hockey League with teams from: Houghton Michigan & Calumet
      Michigan & Soo Michigan & Soo Canada & Pittsburgh. Called the
      International Hockey League, they played 1904-1907 until Canada
      allowed Pro Hockey.

      Hope to see you at the NHL Red Wings Alumni game vs Michigan
      Tech University Hockey Alumni.
      Other activities will be exhibits from the Canadian and the US
      Hockey Hall of Fame among many other exhibits and autograph
      opportunities.

      P.S. This will also be near the peak week for the Fall Colors in
      the Copper Country, so make your hotel and game reservations
      early!

      Connie Julien
      webmaster
      www.cchockeyhistory.org

    • John Serrati
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2004
        We have openned up an interesting debate here. In reference to R.
        Bendell's list (cheers for including Ranford, one of my all time
        favourites), let me ask the members of this list: what makes a truly great
        goalie?

        Records, Cups, gold metals, world championships, world cups, consistent
        play, ability to win game 7s, being a great clutch man, mental toughness,
        stats. What?

        Were Hasek or Dryden the best because they won all of those Vezinas? Or
        Sawchuk w/ 103 shutouts? Maybe Plante for winning all of those Cups, or
        Durnan & Parent for achieving so much in such a small amount of time. Do
        accolades alone count (i.e. the argument that, if a goalie is truly great,
        he will eventually take at least one team to a championship)? But then
        this rules out guys like Espo who rarely played for a team that had a shot.

        Personally, records & Vezinas do speak volumes, but to me Cups (or other
        major championships) mean more. Especially because so few teams have won
        w/ non-stellar goalkeeping. In that clutch game 7 or gold medal game, I'd
        definitely go for Cups+experience over consistency+stats. Thus Roy &
        Belfour over Hasek & Barasso for me as an example.

        What do others think?

        John

        Dr John Serrati
        Assistant Prof. of Classics and History
        John Abbott College
        Ste-Anne-de-Bellevue, Quebec
        H9X 3L9
        Canada

        (514) 457-6610 ext. 5992

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 2, 2004
          I like to see CONSISTANT high level play. A great goalie can be a great
          goalie but never win a title if he plays on lesser teams. Tony O never
          won a Cup but most people would have loved to have him on their team
          over a good many who have.. Cups are nice, but then again if you are a
          so-so goalie on a great team does that make you great? Is Mike Vernon
          "great"? Gold Medals are nice but if you are on a dominant team it just
          means you didn't spoil their success with flat out bad play. Plus a
          goalie can get hot for a short period and never be heard form
          again...remember Steve Penny or Jim Craig? Stats can also be
          deceiving...goals against is negatively effected by playing on a bad
          team and save percentage isn't even the end all...say you are a goalie
          on a team that allows maybe 20 shots, they give up 6 or 7 good chances
          (keep in mind a god chance doesn't always mean an SOG is recorded, the
          shooter may shoot wide trying to pick a corner as you gave him nothing
          else to shoot at) a game and you let two in...you have a 90 % SVPC! You
          can actually have a GAA and a winning record and all else that is good
          but NOT the best SVPC if you are on a team that gives up a shot total in
          the low 20's or less... All star teams can be given on rep as much as
          performance.

          So I think it comes down to performance over time and looking at the
          totality of it all. Does the player just play well in spurts or over a
          career? Has he won more tight games than he has lost and what were the
          circumstances? Did he get any scoring support in those games? Does he
          have good numbers in more than one key area? Does he take his team to a
          next level? Does he win over the years with more than one crop of
          players and even coaches and systems? Is he a guy that is reliable night
          to night to come up with the good game? Can you rightfully expect the
          great game or is it a surprise?

          I just don't think there is any one criterion. If he is a great goalie,
          he probably will have some numbers pointing us in that direction as well
          as some awards and achievements. It is no one thing it is a convergence
          of things at least for me. In the end all of the things that you
          mentioned can contribute but no one of them is the end all for me except
          for consistency, if you lack it I think it is hard to call you a great
          goalie.

[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • C Julien
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 28, 2004
            Who keeps posting this event from my original message?? The event is long over!
            Pictures from that weekend including game pictures with Gordie Howe dropping the puck, and Paul Coppo, recent inductee into the US-HHOF dropping the puck, and SIHR members booths at the hockey fair etc can be seen here:
            http://www.birthplaceofprohockey.org/CentSept2004.htm

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 28, 2004
              I took it off the calendar. If the calendar continues to be abused, I'll
              have to restrict it somehow.

              Frank