Re: [hockhist] AHL fans ... Best arena / atmosphere?

  • mtlhockey@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 4, 2004
      In a message dated 10/3/2004 7:34:04 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
      a79krgm@... writes:
      I'm planning on visiting an AHL city for a game or two ..

      (Thanks to the Minnesota Wild, I'll soon have the money for the trip
      when I get my first refund from the season tickets that I paid for in
      June.)

      ... Can anyone recommend a particular city or arena to visit?

      I'm hoping for a taste of some "old-time hockey" atmosphere. Are
      there any old arenas left in the AHL? If not, I'll settle for a city
      that supports their team well.

      Thanks, Ken
      Lots of great old time arenas in the minors! AHL, Rochester, Providence,
      Winnipeg (only about 3 games left in the old Arena), are all good. Ft Wayne in the
      UHL, San Diego, Alaska, Toledo, in the ECHL, and Lubbock, Tulsa, Wichita, Ft
      Worth, in the CHL....

      Plenty of other great old arena as well but here are a few....

      Brian

    • goaliedave
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 4, 2004
        You simply cannot beat Binghamton for atmosphere and knowledgeable hockey
        fans.

        Dave in Whitby
      • ej
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 4, 2004
          a79krgm wrote:

          > I'm hoping for a taste of some "old-time hockey" atmosphere. Are
          > there any old arenas left in the AHL? If not, I'll settle for a city
          > that supports their team well.

          If you are looking for a city that supports their team, go to
          Wilkes-Barre. Great atmosphere and the arena is always full.

          Unfortunately, you are a couple years late to visit HersheyPark Arena.
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 5, 2004
            You can still go over to it. Youth games are still played there.

            > I'm hoping for a taste of some "old-time hockey" atmosphere. Are
            > there any old arenas left in the AHL? If not, I'll settle for a city
            > that supports their team well.

            If you are looking for a city that supports their team, go to
            Wilkes-Barre. Great atmosphere and the arena is always full.

            Unfortunately, you are a couple years late to visit HersheyPark Arena.

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • jpdornberger
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 8, 2004
              Yep - My 12 year-old son (goalie) played there 2 weeks ago. Love the
              old barn. Then the kids went to the amusement park. My brother who
              lives in Hershey says the new Giant Center is great for games.

              Jim Dornberger

              --- In hockhist@yahoogroups.com, "William Underwood" <wausport@b...>
              wrote:
              > You can still go over to it. Youth games are still played there.

            • kuckyjay
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 8, 2004
                I'd have to say that I like going to Rochester American games when I
                can. Even though parts of their downtown area has seen better days
                (heck so has my hometown's which is Hamilton, Ontario) I love the
                Blue Cross Arena, low ceiling and all. The best parts are before and
                after the game because the Dinosaur Bar-B-Que is right across the
                street from the arena. Go for dinner, see the game, then come back
                for some hot blues music. It's cool.