RE: [hockhist] Re: return of Whitby Dunlops

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2004
      I recognize some having seen them here or there. Interesting stuff!

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2004
        Joe van Volsen played in Amsterdam for part of the 1999/2000, playing the
        first 13 matches before suddenly leaving for North America. According to
        sources in Amsterdam this had to do with the fact that Joe caused a car
        accident and left the scene without stopping. Two days later he was on a
        plane home to finish the season with the Tupelo T-Rex of the WPHL and South
        Carolina Stingrays of the ECHL. Van Volsen is a dutch passport holder, a so
        called Dutch Canadian.

        Interesting to see his name pop up. Through the internet I followed the
        exploits of another senior team last season, the Aylmer Blues, featuring two
        players who played with Nijmegen Tigers the season before, Jason Clarke and
        Bob Vandersluis. The latter is also a Dutch Canadian. They made it through
        to the Allan Cup tournament, but did not manage to win the title. It went to
        Garaga de St. George, a team I saw play in Quebec City earlier in the year.
        There is so much good hockey in Canada apart from the NHL.

        In a related note. Today it was announced that if the NHL lockout is still
        in place January 1, a NHL-player will actually turn up to play in our little
        league here in the Netherlands. The Amsterdam Bulldogs apparently have
        reached an agreement with Chicago Blackhawk Bryan Berard. Now that might
        give the sport a boost in this country. With trips planned to Sweden,
        Finland and the Czech Republik in coming months, I am starting to enjoy the
        NHL-lockout :-)

        Kind regards from the Netherlands,

        Joep Meijsen
        www.ijshockey.com
        www.emperors.nl

      • mtlhockey@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 4, 2004
          In a message dated 10/2/2004 2:17:34 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
          jtmn@... writes:
          Kind regards from the Netherlands,

          Joep Meijsen
          Hey Joep,

          Interesting information. Were you at the World Cup of Hockey by chance?

          Also, when did they join the top league there and where does the Amsterdam
          team play?

          Thanks

          Brian

        • Joep
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 4, 2004
            Hello there,

            Yes, I did visit a match in the World Cup of Hockey. I watched the match
            between Germany and Finland in Cologne. I also watched the warm up matches
            against Russia and the Czech Republic. I live relatively close to the German
            border, so I could not let this opportunity go to waste. I was a bid sad
            about the fact that the games where not sold out. On the other hand it did
            allow us to sit really low down near the benches or the penaltybox and watch
            the stars from up close. It was a marvelous experience and well worth the
            money. Why did you ask?

            I am not entirely sure if you mean Amsterdam with 'they'. But Amsterdam made
            a comeback in the top flight in Holland in the 1998/99 season. They were one
            of the founding members of the Dutch hockey board though, so there is a long
            tradition of top quality ice hockey (relatively speaking) in the Dutch
            capital. They are a well sponsored team now, with probably the highest
            budget in the league, but lack real fan support. They have won the title in
            the last three years and by all accounts are favourits during the upcoming
            season.

            Only a few hundred people turn up to watch the matches though, with only the
            play-off games regular sell outs. This can be attributed to the general
            decline in support for ice hockey in The Netherlands in the last twenty
            years in combination with the plethora of entertainment options in Amsterdam
            and the changing demographics of the Dutch capital. Ice hockey here is still
            very much a 'white man's sport'. Contracting a real NHL-player is a real
            coup for them and will surely be grabbing the national headlines in this
            country. It might also draw in a crowd. They play in the Jaap Edenhal. I am
            not entirely sure of the capacity, but it will probably hold somewhere
            between 2500 and 3000 spectators.

            Amsterdam had a former NHL-player in the line-up for a small part of last
            season. Zarley Zalapsky played with Amsterdam during their Continental
            Cup-challenge. I actually sat next to him in the stands during a
            league-game. The Continental Cup is a bit like the European Cup for club
            teams, even though it has lost a lot of appeal over the last few seasons.

            I hope I have answered your questions. If not, do not hesitate to mail me.

            Kind regards,

            Joep Meijsen
            www.ijshockey.com
            www.emperors.nl

          • mtlhockey@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 5, 2004
              In a message dated 10/4/2004 10:54:57 AM Pacific Standard Time, jtmn@...
              writes:

              > It was a marvelous experience and well worth the
              > money. Why did you ask?

              I sat next to someone from Holland at the USA/Russia game in St Paul...
              thought it may have been you....

              Brian