Re: return of Whitby Dunlops

  • goaliedave
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 30, 2004
      Bill,
      Sorry to take so long replying to your query of who plays for the new
      Whitby Dunlops...

      Here is a link to a story in the local paper...
      http://www.durhamregion.com/dr/sports/story/2240414p-2596464c.html

      Roster:
      Goal
      Ken Shepard (starred for Oshawa Generals Major Junior) and Joel Whitmarsh
      (young ex-junior A goalie)

      D:
      Jim Luciuk, Mike Van Volsen, Brent Chandler, Brian heard, Derek Young, Matt
      Cardwell

      F:
      Peter McKellar ( great player, 29, played some minor pro), Ron Baker,
      ScottMCrory (starred with Oshawa Generals), Matt Armstrong, Ian Martin,
      Scott Jones, Darryl Whitlock, Jay Cannings, Joe Van Volsen, Justin Cardwell.

      Involved in the team management are Steve Cardwell (former NHLer) and Mr.
      Van Volsen... although I'm not insinuating that;s the only reason they each
      have 2 kids on the team :)

      Maybe you'll recognize a name or two? They outlined each guy's past hockey
      experience in the intros, most had played some minor or Euro pro. Mostly in
      their 20s. They don't get paid, but get free icetime and travel. Games are
      on weekends. Home games in Whitby are Saturday nights in our 6 pad complex,
      they had lots of walk-in fans from the other pads which they weren't
      expecting.

      It is senior hockey... no holds barred, penalties only if you kill a guy or
      he is on a break away. It'll take some getting used to but we'll go
      sometimes. At $8 a ticket it's minor pro prices so its not cheap.

      Dave in Whitby
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2004
        I recognize some having seen them here or there. Interesting stuff!

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Joep
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 2, 2004
          Joe van Volsen played in Amsterdam for part of the 1999/2000, playing the
          first 13 matches before suddenly leaving for North America. According to
          sources in Amsterdam this had to do with the fact that Joe caused a car
          accident and left the scene without stopping. Two days later he was on a
          plane home to finish the season with the Tupelo T-Rex of the WPHL and South
          Carolina Stingrays of the ECHL. Van Volsen is a dutch passport holder, a so
          called Dutch Canadian.

          Interesting to see his name pop up. Through the internet I followed the
          exploits of another senior team last season, the Aylmer Blues, featuring two
          players who played with Nijmegen Tigers the season before, Jason Clarke and
          Bob Vandersluis. The latter is also a Dutch Canadian. They made it through
          to the Allan Cup tournament, but did not manage to win the title. It went to
          Garaga de St. George, a team I saw play in Quebec City earlier in the year.
          There is so much good hockey in Canada apart from the NHL.

          In a related note. Today it was announced that if the NHL lockout is still
          in place January 1, a NHL-player will actually turn up to play in our little
          league here in the Netherlands. The Amsterdam Bulldogs apparently have
          reached an agreement with Chicago Blackhawk Bryan Berard. Now that might
          give the sport a boost in this country. With trips planned to Sweden,
          Finland and the Czech Republik in coming months, I am starting to enjoy the
          NHL-lockout :-)

          Kind regards from the Netherlands,

          Joep Meijsen
          www.ijshockey.com
          www.emperors.nl

        • mtlhockey@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 4, 2004
            In a message dated 10/2/2004 2:17:34 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
            jtmn@... writes:
            Kind regards from the Netherlands,

            Joep Meijsen
            Hey Joep,

            Interesting information. Were you at the World Cup of Hockey by chance?

            Also, when did they join the top league there and where does the Amsterdam
            team play?

            Thanks

            Brian

          • Joep
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 4, 2004
              Hello there,

              Yes, I did visit a match in the World Cup of Hockey. I watched the match
              between Germany and Finland in Cologne. I also watched the warm up matches
              against Russia and the Czech Republic. I live relatively close to the German
              border, so I could not let this opportunity go to waste. I was a bid sad
              about the fact that the games where not sold out. On the other hand it did
              allow us to sit really low down near the benches or the penaltybox and watch
              the stars from up close. It was a marvelous experience and well worth the
              money. Why did you ask?

              I am not entirely sure if you mean Amsterdam with 'they'. But Amsterdam made
              a comeback in the top flight in Holland in the 1998/99 season. They were one
              of the founding members of the Dutch hockey board though, so there is a long
              tradition of top quality ice hockey (relatively speaking) in the Dutch
              capital. They are a well sponsored team now, with probably the highest
              budget in the league, but lack real fan support. They have won the title in
              the last three years and by all accounts are favourits during the upcoming
              season.

              Only a few hundred people turn up to watch the matches though, with only the
              play-off games regular sell outs. This can be attributed to the general
              decline in support for ice hockey in The Netherlands in the last twenty
              years in combination with the plethora of entertainment options in Amsterdam
              and the changing demographics of the Dutch capital. Ice hockey here is still
              very much a 'white man's sport'. Contracting a real NHL-player is a real
              coup for them and will surely be grabbing the national headlines in this
              country. It might also draw in a crowd. They play in the Jaap Edenhal. I am
              not entirely sure of the capacity, but it will probably hold somewhere
              between 2500 and 3000 spectators.

              Amsterdam had a former NHL-player in the line-up for a small part of last
              season. Zarley Zalapsky played with Amsterdam during their Continental
              Cup-challenge. I actually sat next to him in the stands during a
              league-game. The Continental Cup is a bit like the European Cup for club
              teams, even though it has lost a lot of appeal over the last few seasons.

              I hope I have answered your questions. If not, do not hesitate to mail me.

              Kind regards,

              Joep Meijsen
              www.ijshockey.com
              www.emperors.nl

            • mtlhockey@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 5, 2004
                In a message dated 10/4/2004 10:54:57 AM Pacific Standard Time, jtmn@...
                writes:

                > It was a marvelous experience and well worth the
                > money. Why did you ask?

                I sat next to someone from Holland at the USA/Russia game in St Paul...
                thought it may have been you....

                Brian