Re: Short NHL Career Cup Winners

  • Richard Krueger
    Message 1 of 10 , May 2, 2004
      > Yes, Jean-Patrice did point that out. I looked on the official
      > Canadiens website and they have Fortier listed as a Cup winner that
      > year.
      >
      > Richard.

      here's the link:

      http://www.canadiens.com/eng/history/historyRedirect.cfm?
      sectionID=habsHistoryCups.cfm

      or

      http://tinyurl.com/3fcxn

      Fortier is listed as a Cup winner in 1923-24.

      Richard.
    • Richard Krueger
      Message 2 of 10 , May 3, 2004
        According to an article from the Edmonton Journal, dated May 15,
        1990:

        ----

        One-game engravings -- Four players in NHL history have their name
        on the Stanley Cup after having played in only one career NHL game:
        Charles Fortier (1924 Montreal Canadiens), Gordon Haidy and Doug
        McKay (1950 Detroit Red Wings), and Chris Hayes (1972 Boston Bruins).

        ----

        We've since learned that Fortier's name isn't actually ON the Cup,
        but it is interesting that there were three other one-game wonders
        (at least up until 1990). Note that it says they played only one
        game BEFORE winning the Cup, not total in their career.

        Richard.
      • Mike Harling
        Message 3 of 10 , May 3, 2004
          re Charles Fortier -- Total Stanley Cup 2003 offers conflicting info on
          this. Fortier is listed in Chapter 8 Year-by-Year Highlights, Scores,
          and Rosters as a member of the 23-24 Habs. But he is not listed in either
          the player or goaltender registers.

          re Mike Zanier -- apparently made his NHL "debut" as the Oilers
          non-playing backup goalie in Game 5 of the 1984 finals, which was the
          deciding match. He's not listed on the Chapter 8 Roster but is in the
          goalie register. Zanier played 3 rs games the next season, is last in
          the NHL.