33/34 Blackhawks

  • mrdcool@greatlakes.net
    Message 1 of 3 , May 2, 2004
      I'm looking for info on 2 players that most sources show as playing for
      Chicago in 33-34, Thomas Coulter and Joe Starke. According to TH2 and
      Hollander, Coulter played in 2 games, while IHD has him at only 1 game
      played. Coleman doesn't list him at all. Starke is listed on the
      Slate-o-base with 2 games played as a goalie. Coleman lists him with 2 games
      played, but doesn't designate a position. Charlie Gardiner is given credit
      for 48 games played (although that is likely an error.) Starke is not listed
      in either Hollander or TH2.

      Would appreciate any info on these 2 players, mostly verifying how many
      games they played with Chicago during 33-34 and correct statistics.

      Thanks.

      Matt
    • Bob Visser
      Message 2 of 3 , May 2, 2004
        Matt

        Andrew Podnieks, in "Players- The Ultimate A-Z Guide" says this of Tommy
        Coulter:

        "His lone appearance came with Chicago on November 19, 1933 in a 2-1 win
        over Ottawa. Tommy played with his more accomplished brother, Art, but never
        made it back to the NHL afterward."

        The Hockey Encyclopedia (Fisher) credits him with 2 games; he is not listed
        at all in Total NHL, nor is he listed in as a retired player in the 2004 NHL
        Official Guide & Record Book.

        Bob

        hockhist-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • James Milks
        Message 3 of 3 , May 2, 2004
          Hi,
          If you are interested in more on Coulter (not stats), see
          http://www.losthockey.com/profiles/coulter_tom/tom_coulter.cfm. I
          visited him last summer. He felt it was more like 7 games with Chicago,
          but that likely included Ex. Games. He also claimed to have played in
          Toronto (team name unknown), but I could find no stats to support that.

          Finally, the stats for him with "Winnipeg Carnegie Tech" in Total Hockey
          2 are dead wrong. There was no such team or a Carnegie Tech in Winnipeg.
          He claims to never have played any serious hockey before leaving
          Winnipeg other than in high school with St-John's College in 1927.
          He played football and track at the real Carnegie Tech in Penn. And a
          bit of pick up hockey, but that is it.

          Also, in regards to Podnieks book refering to him as "Tommy". I have
          done a lot of research on Coulter and he was always referred to as Tom
          or Thomas in all hockey, track and business articles both in Canada and
          the US. And yes, I called him Mr. Coulter :-)

          James

          > I'm looking for info on 2 players that most sources show as playing
          > for Chicago in 33-34, Thomas Coulter and Joe Starke. According to TH2
          > and Hollander, Coulter played in 2 games, while IHD has him at only 1
          > game played. Coleman doesn't list him at all. Starke is listed on the
          > Slate-o-base with 2 games played as a goalie. Coleman lists him with 2
          games
          > played, but doesn't designate a position. Charlie Gardiner is given
          > credit for 48 games played (although that is likely an error.) Starke
          > is not
          listed
          > in either Hollander or TH2.
          >
          > Would appreciate any info on these 2 players, mostly verifying how
          > many games they played with Chicago during 33-34 and correct
          > statistics.
          >
          > Thanks.
          >
          > Matt
          >

          > To unsubscribe from this mail list, send a blank message to
          hockhist-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          Yahoo! Groups Links