Re: [hockhist] Winnipeg Jets and Clubs

  • Natalie Sekuler
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4, 2004
      Winnipeg Warriors was also the name of the city's Western (professional) Hockey League franchise of
      the late 50's and early 60's.

      Larry Sekuler

      "T. Kent Morgan" wrote:

      > Just a few more comments on the history and names of the Winnipeg
      > teams. Benny Hatskin bought three Winnipeg jumior A teams in 1967
      > and then sold them to local owners. The teams played in the Manitoba
      > Junior Hockey League in 1967-68. He used players from these teams
      > for his expansion Western Canada Hockey League team, Jets, in 1968-
      > 69. The team played as Jets until he sold the team to coach Gerry
      > Brisson in 1973. The new name, Clubs, was named after a Manitoba
      > beer produced by Labatt Breweries. Originally known as Country Club,
      > the beer was brewed by a local brewery, Pelissiers, until Labatt
      > bought it out. Around the same time, Labatt also took over another
      > local brewery Kiewel whose main product was White Seal.
      >
      > During the late 1960s, I coached and played for a fastball team
      > called Clubbers so we drank plenty of our sponsor's Club beer. Then
      > around 1979-80 Labatt sponsored my slo-pitch team called Touring All-
      > Stars and we played as the Labatt Touring All-Stars and the Kiewel
      > Touring All-Stars dependent on which beer they wanted to push. I am
      > going on memory on this, but I think there was a big push by Labatt
      > to promote Club beer as a major brand around the time the junior
      > team changed its name from Jets to Clubs. I know they changed the
      > logo after they bought Pelissiers and tried to market it as a beer
      > for college and university students. Today you don't see many people
      > drinking Club beer, White Seal is no longer on the market, and the
      > most popular Labatt beer seems to be Lab Lite, which wasn't on the
      > market in those days.
      >
      > Clubs lasted until 1976 when Brisson renamed the team, Monarchs, a
      > famous Manitoba junior team name. Monarchs later relocated to
      > Calgary and became Wranglers. Winnipeg was back in the league in
      > 1980-81 with an expansion team called Warriors, which incidentally
      > was the name of one of the three junior A teams Hatskin owned.
      >
      > Kent Morgan

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Mike Witty
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 4, 2004
        One more thing on the Warriors, during the mid-80's, they moved from
        Winnipeg to Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan.

        Mike Witty

        >From: Natalie Sekuler <natsek@...>
        >To: hockhist@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [hockhist] Winnipeg Jets and Clubs
        >Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2004 19:33:10 -0700
        >
        >Winnipeg Warriors was also the name of the city's Western (professional)
        >Hockey League franchise of
        >the late 50's and early 60's.
        >
        >Larry Sekuler
        >
        >"T. Kent Morgan" wrote:
        >
        > > Just a few more comments on the history and names of the Winnipeg
        > > teams. Benny Hatskin bought three Winnipeg jumior A teams in 1967
        > > and then sold them to local owners. The teams played in the Manitoba
        > > Junior Hockey League in 1967-68. He used players from these teams
        > > for his expansion Western Canada Hockey League team, Jets, in 1968-
        > > 69. The team played as Jets until he sold the team to coach Gerry
        > > Brisson in 1973. The new name, Clubs, was named after a Manitoba
        > > beer produced by Labatt Breweries. Originally known as Country Club,
        > > the beer was brewed by a local brewery, Pelissiers, until Labatt
        > > bought it out. Around the same time, Labatt also took over another
        > > local brewery Kiewel whose main product was White Seal.
        > >
        > > During the late 1960s, I coached and played for a fastball team
        > > called Clubbers so we drank plenty of our sponsor's Club beer. Then
        > > around 1979-80 Labatt sponsored my slo-pitch team called Touring All-
        > > Stars and we played as the Labatt Touring All-Stars and the Kiewel
        > > Touring All-Stars dependent on which beer they wanted to push. I am
        > > going on memory on this, but I think there was a big push by Labatt
        > > to promote Club beer as a major brand around the time the junior
        > > team changed its name from Jets to Clubs. I know they changed the
        > > logo after they bought Pelissiers and tried to market it as a beer
        > > for college and university students. Today you don't see many people
        > > drinking Club beer, White Seal is no longer on the market, and the
        > > most popular Labatt beer seems to be Lab Lite, which wasn't on the
        > > market in those days.
        > >
        > > Clubs lasted until 1976 when Brisson renamed the team, Monarchs, a
        > > famous Manitoba junior team name. Monarchs later relocated to
        > > Calgary and became Wranglers. Winnipeg was back in the league in
        > > 1980-81 with an expansion team called Warriors, which incidentally
        > > was the name of one of the three junior A teams Hatskin owned.
        > >
        > > Kent Morgan
        > >

        > > To unsubscribe from this mail list, send a blank message to
        >hockhist-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
        > >
        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        Add photos to your e-mail with MSN Premium. Get 2 months FREE*