RE: [hockhist] WHA and The Hockey News

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 2, 2004
      Nothing yet...but more details will be here soon...one of the things
      about these guys that separates them from lesser efforts is that they
      never announce something until it is that they really HAVE.

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 2, 2004
        In a message dated 3/2/2004 12:33:58 PM Pacific Standard Time,
        wausport@... writes:

        > Nothing yet...but more details will be here soon...one of the things
        > about these guys that separates them from lesser efforts is that they
        > never announce something until it is that they really HAVE.

        True, but they need to get something started soon. These teams are going to
        have less then 6 months to start....

        There have been 3 teams that have supposedly put up some money to gurantee a
        franchise. Toronto, Qubebec, and Hamilton. There was supposed to be a big
        announcement on the franchises on March 1 and that was postponed.

        I have a feeling this will be like the WHA2 where when they finally announce
        everything it will be so late that it wont work.

        I guess we will see.

        Brian

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 2, 2004
          >> Nothing yet...but more details will be here soon...one of the things
          > about these guys that separates them from lesser efforts is that they
          >> never announce something until it is that they really HAVE.
          >

          >True, but they need to get something started soon. These teams are
          going to
          >have less then 6 months to start....

          Things are moving ahead by all accounts...we should have more news
          soon...last tie I heard (about a week back they were optimistic).

          >There have been 3 teams that have supposedly put up some money to
          gurantee a
          >franchise.

          4 actually.

          >Toronto, Qubebec, and Hamilton. There was supposed to be a big
          >announcement on the franchises on March 1 and that was postponed.

          Actually it wasn't an announcement but they expected teams to commit in
          that area.

          >I have a feeling this will be like the WHA2 where when they finally
          announce
          >everything it will be so late that it wont work.

          I'm not so sure that they there isn't a different time frame at work
          here. In the case of the wHA2 you have a bunch of shaky low level minor
          league markets along with a dew others who have a dubious hockey
          history. These markets have also been cursed with some of the WORST run
          ventures in the past like the ACHL and the old Sunshine League. A WHA
          team will be less difficult to market,. It is higher level hockey and at
          least the markets that we know of are traditional hockey markets. They
          plan to sing a few players who will be attention getters and no one
          needs a great deal of selling for. Keep in mind, the old league wasn't
          all that far ahead in many cases. The Cleveland Crusaders didn't exist
          until late June and Philly until April. The whalers had a skeleton front
          office and Ottawa was about as makeshift as you can get. Selling this
          league will actually be easier than a low minor venture where you are
          gathering a bunch of no names and people are wondering "will this be a
          really professional product or men's league with admission..." With
          this league's budget they will not have the same problem. At worst it
          will be a AAAA league that is the second best in hockey, at best it will
          be seen as secondary major league from day one and, again, the second
          best league in hockey. And hell, it will probably be the BEST league
          that is actually playing in North America if it does indeed get started!

          But the clock is running! Still, you can't apply the same standards as
          minor pro loops. On one hand you need more revenue, on the other you
          have a bigger and better product to sell in better hockey markets.

          >I guess we will see.

          That is about all you can really do...wait. They have at least 4 teams
          that we know of which isn't a bad start as they will go with less than
          12 or even 10. They are AT LEAST halfway there for commitments. But we
          shall see...they still have a way to go but they haven't pulled the plug
          which suggests to me that there is at least SOME activity. As to what it
          is and is it enough...like you say time will tell and the clock is
          ticking...

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • JstHkyCin@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 2, 2004
            In a message dated 03/02/2004 9:21:09 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            wausport@... writes:

            << These markets have also been cursed with some of the WORST run
            ventures in the past like the ACHL and the old Sunshine League. >>

            Which version of the ACHL are you referring to?
          • reorgman
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 2, 2004
              I can't find my copy - but my friend said that there WAS a pic of
              Harry Howell - NY Golden Blades in the March 2 edition of The Hockey
              News.

              Pat

              --- In hockhist@yahoogroups.com, "thegiantdevilfish"

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 3, 2004
                I was meaning last years soap opera fiasco which certainly must have
                left people scratching their heads as they went over a spring and summer
                wondering what league will be where with what teams...didn't help the
                ole credibility much! The prez misbehaves, starts a palace revolt...new
                league starts just when you were getting used or ID'ing with a one year
                old one, then we had "would they or wouldn't they" have two leagues or
                not...See what I mean? The situation has been less than a marketers
                dream...