RE: [hockhist] WHA and The Hockey News

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 2, 2004
      Nothing yet...but more details will be here soon...one of the things
      about these guys that separates them from lesser efforts is that they
      never announce something until it is that they really HAVE.

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 2, 2004
        --- In hockhist@yahoogroups.com, "reorgman" <reorgman@y...> wrote:

        > Hey all, the other thing i wanted to discuss today was the WHA.
        >
        > The Hockey News - that I got at home last night - has a feature on
        > the OLD WHA and the upcoming WHA.
        >
        > I left it at home - sorry - but there were some pics in there that
        > some of you might be interested in. Nice one of W. Gretz in an
        > Indianapolis uniform - for example.
        >

        > ***************
        >
        > Any recent news this week on the WHA that anyone wants to share ?
        >

        > Thanx
        >
        > Pat

        Any colour shots of the New York Golden Blades? I'm trying to find
        colour photos of that team.
      • mtlhockey@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 2, 2004
          In a message dated 3/2/2004 12:33:58 PM Pacific Standard Time,
          wausport@... writes:

          > Nothing yet...but more details will be here soon...one of the things
          > about these guys that separates them from lesser efforts is that they
          > never announce something until it is that they really HAVE.

          True, but they need to get something started soon. These teams are going to
          have less then 6 months to start....

          There have been 3 teams that have supposedly put up some money to gurantee a
          franchise. Toronto, Qubebec, and Hamilton. There was supposed to be a big
          announcement on the franchises on March 1 and that was postponed.

          I have a feeling this will be like the WHA2 where when they finally announce
          everything it will be so late that it wont work.

          I guess we will see.

          Brian

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 2, 2004
            >> Nothing yet...but more details will be here soon...one of the things
            > about these guys that separates them from lesser efforts is that they
            >> never announce something until it is that they really HAVE.
            >

            >True, but they need to get something started soon. These teams are
            going to
            >have less then 6 months to start....

            Things are moving ahead by all accounts...we should have more news
            soon...last tie I heard (about a week back they were optimistic).

            >There have been 3 teams that have supposedly put up some money to
            gurantee a
            >franchise.

            4 actually.

            >Toronto, Qubebec, and Hamilton. There was supposed to be a big
            >announcement on the franchises on March 1 and that was postponed.

            Actually it wasn't an announcement but they expected teams to commit in
            that area.

            >I have a feeling this will be like the WHA2 where when they finally
            announce
            >everything it will be so late that it wont work.

            I'm not so sure that they there isn't a different time frame at work
            here. In the case of the wHA2 you have a bunch of shaky low level minor
            league markets along with a dew others who have a dubious hockey
            history. These markets have also been cursed with some of the WORST run
            ventures in the past like the ACHL and the old Sunshine League. A WHA
            team will be less difficult to market,. It is higher level hockey and at
            least the markets that we know of are traditional hockey markets. They
            plan to sing a few players who will be attention getters and no one
            needs a great deal of selling for. Keep in mind, the old league wasn't
            all that far ahead in many cases. The Cleveland Crusaders didn't exist
            until late June and Philly until April. The whalers had a skeleton front
            office and Ottawa was about as makeshift as you can get. Selling this
            league will actually be easier than a low minor venture where you are
            gathering a bunch of no names and people are wondering "will this be a
            really professional product or men's league with admission..." With
            this league's budget they will not have the same problem. At worst it
            will be a AAAA league that is the second best in hockey, at best it will
            be seen as secondary major league from day one and, again, the second
            best league in hockey. And hell, it will probably be the BEST league
            that is actually playing in North America if it does indeed get started!

            But the clock is running! Still, you can't apply the same standards as
            minor pro loops. On one hand you need more revenue, on the other you
            have a bigger and better product to sell in better hockey markets.

            >I guess we will see.

            That is about all you can really do...wait. They have at least 4 teams
            that we know of which isn't a bad start as they will go with less than
            12 or even 10. They are AT LEAST halfway there for commitments. But we
            shall see...they still have a way to go but they haven't pulled the plug
            which suggests to me that there is at least SOME activity. As to what it
            is and is it enough...like you say time will tell and the clock is
            ticking...

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • JstHkyCin@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 2, 2004
              In a message dated 03/02/2004 9:21:09 PM Eastern Standard Time,
              wausport@... writes:

              << These markets have also been cursed with some of the WORST run
              ventures in the past like the ACHL and the old Sunshine League. >>

              Which version of the ACHL are you referring to?
            • reorgman
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 2, 2004
                I can't find my copy - but my friend said that there WAS a pic of
                Harry Howell - NY Golden Blades in the March 2 edition of The Hockey
                News.

                Pat

                --- In hockhist@yahoogroups.com, "thegiantdevilfish"

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 3, 2004
                  I was meaning last years soap opera fiasco which certainly must have
                  left people scratching their heads as they went over a spring and summer
                  wondering what league will be where with what teams...didn't help the
                  ole credibility much! The prez misbehaves, starts a palace revolt...new
                  league starts just when you were getting used or ID'ing with a one year
                  old one, then we had "would they or wouldn't they" have two leagues or
                  not...See what I mean? The situation has been less than a marketers
                  dream...