Re: Bad Santas at Islanders game

  • reorgman
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 4, 2004
      --- In hockhist@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Krueger" <dig4fish@h...>
      wrote:
      > Were actual punches thrown? The version of events in The Hockey
      News
      > implies they were thrown "playfully" and in jest, and that the
      whole
      > ruckus was fun for all involved. As someone who was there, would
      you
      > say ill will was present and that the punches were meant to cause
      > pain and/or injury?
      >
      > Richard.

      In a word - YES.

      I was in the stands - with binoculars - keeping an eye on my son -
      and saw it. It was not "in fun".

      I heard from security ( I know the guards in my section as a season
      tix holder) that (via walkie talkies) some punches were thrown - and
      some of the folks in my section confirmed ( who went to ice level in
      costume).

      I never condone violence - but it WAS a Ranger$ fan :)

      And I heard he was shooting off his mouth....and that is what set
      people after him.

      My point is this - I was disappointed in the way things had to turn
      out. It was a Flyer-Isles game.Nothing to do with the Ranger$. The
      swine toothed Ranger$ fan need not attend and cause problems in our
      building. Most times - and there are Ranger$ fans at all of our
      games - they get ignored - but from what I hear - this guy was boozed
      up and looking for trouble...in a big way. That said - what he did
      was clever - in taking valuable attention away from the home
      team.....have to give him some credit there -

      Also - I am disappointed because it is so hard to find creative ways
      to get people in the buildings these days. Winning is one way of
      doing it - having competitive ticket prices is another ( a pblm on
      Long Island and many other rinks this year - which has been the
      single biggest blight on attendance is the COST)....but as I think I
      said in a prior email - it got NEW FANS in the building. I know
      I "converted" two of my sons friends into Isles - and more
      imptly...HOCKEY FANS that night. Its all the boys could talk
      about....many of those who wore the Santa suits heard about it in
      NEWSDAY or on the Radio promotions and decided to check out the game.

      I know if they do it next year - about 8 other of my son's friends
      would all be shopping for Santa outfits....and wanting to go to the
      game....and incidentally - I have brought the boys to two ( or
      three?) other Isles games since then. They are hooked. And some
      stupid Ranger$ fan has to kill the promotion...... Will make it
      sweet when the jerk wearing the Barnaby jersey will have to watch us
      in the playoffs this year while his boy is golfing - again ....

      THAT is my disappointment. It was an unique promotion that was pretty
      funny to watch as nearly 1,000 "santas' paraded across the ice..... I
      am also hoping that the Isles farm team plays two or three games in
      the Coliseum next year ( if the NHL is on) and charges $ 7.00 for a
      ticket when our team is on the road. EXPOSURE to hockey is so key -
      and the NHL has to create new customers and find new ways to create
      this "goodwill".

      With all the negative press about the CBA and the future of the
      league - it will be a big challenge to keep the fans interested in
      the game - its a shame teams have to do "cheezy " promotions - but
      its a fact of life.

      Pat
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 5, 2004
        Also the product doesn't help...Too many teams, too few goals, rivalries
        not emphasized nearly enough all are also major blights.

> [...]

        stupid Ranger$ fan has to kill the promotion...... Will make it
        sweet when the jerk wearing the Barnaby jersey will have to watch us
        in the playoffs this year while his boy is golfing - again ....

        THAT is my disappointment. It was an unique promotion that was pretty
        funny to watch as nearly 1,000 "santas' paraded across the ice..... I
        am also hoping that the Isles farm team plays two or three games in
        the Coliseum next year ( if the NHL is on) and charges $ 7.00 for a
        ticket when our team is on the road. EXPOSURE to hockey is so key -
        and the NHL has to create new customers and find new ways to create
        this "goodwill".

        With all the negative press about the CBA and the future of the
        league - it will be a big challenge to keep the fans interested in
        the game - its a shame teams have to do "cheezy " promotions - but

        hockhist-unsubscribe@onelist.com

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        To visit your group on the web, go to:

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/