European domination

  • mtlhockey@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 4 11:19 AM
      8 of the top 10 (and the top 5) leading scorers in the NHL are from Europe.
      Has there been a time when it has been this lopsided?

      I think it really shows the skill level of the europeans.

      Thoughts, comments?

      Brian

      2003-2004 - Regular Season - Points - TOTAL POINTS

      RK PLAYER TEAM POS GP G A P
      1 MARKUS NASLUND VAN L 54 30 35 65
      2 ROBERT LANG WAS C 54 25 38 63
      3 ALEX TANGUAY COL L 51 18 42 60
      4 ILYA KOVALCHUK ATL L 55 27 32 59
      5 MARIAN HOSSA OTT R 52 23 34 57
      6 JOE SAKIC COL C 52 22 35 57
      7 MARTIN ST. LOUIS TAM R 53 24 31 55
      8 PAVEL DATSYUK DET C 55 25 28 53
      9 DANIEL ALFREDSSON OTT R 51 23 30 53
      10 MILAN HEJDUK COL R 53 26 26 52

    • Jean-Patrice Martel
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 4 2:36 PM
        > --- In hockhist@yahoogroups.com, mtlhockey@a... wrote:
        > 8 of the top 10 (and the top 5) leading scorers in the NHL
        > are from Europe.

        Counting Alex Tanguay as a European is a bit of a stretch.

        > Has there been a time when it has been this lopsided?

        In a sense yes, in 1992 all 10 top scorers were North Americans.

        Still, I agree with you, European youth coaches must be doing
        something right.

        Jean-Patrice
      • Risto Pakarinen
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 4 2:56 PM
          My only comment is that 8 of the top 10 scorers are European.

          11 of the 42 All-Stars are European.

          Fans shouldn't be in charge of the rosters. Not even opening lineups. :)

          8 of the top 10 (and the top 5) leading scorers in the NHL are from
          Europe.
          Has there been a time when it has been this lopsided?

          I think it really shows the skill level of the europeans.

          Thoughts, comments?

          Brian

          2003-2004 - Regular Season - Points - TOTAL POINTS

          RK PLAYER TEAM POS GP G A P
          1 MARKUS NASLUND VAN L 54 30 35 65
          2 ROBERT LANG WAS C 54 25 38 63
          3 ALEX TANGUAY COL L 51 18 42 60
          4 ILYA KOVALCHUK ATL L 55 27 32 59
          5 MARIAN HOSSA OTT R 52 23 34 57
          6 JOE SAKIC COL C 52 22 35 57
          7 MARTIN ST. LOUIS TAM R 53 24 31 55
          8 PAVEL DATSYUK DET C 55 25 28 53
          9 DANIEL ALFREDSSON OTT R 51 23 30 53
          10 MILAN HEJDUK COL R 53 26 26 52

          hockhist-unsubscribe@onelist.com

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          To visit your group on the web, go to:

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • Tyler Leach
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 4 3:32 PM
            I think every starting player should be from a different team.

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 5 10:01 AM
              There are a few reasons for that. One, in Europe, the development
              program is still in the hands of teams. A parent can't just break off
              and start a new club ala the US or a group can't just buy one like in
              Canada. The clubs have youth coaches and directors whoa re paid by them
              to produce players. Additionally, to AGAIN hit the expansion band wagon!
              Euro leagues haven't went expansion crazy! Over here, when we create a
              new NHL team we not only are taking a would be quality coach at a lower
              level as head coach but also often as assistants. While these men are
              not always good NHL coaches (they usually plain old lack the ability to
              reach the NHL player and cope with his psychology) they are often GOOD
              INSTRUCTORS of the game and would do GREAT at a lower level. Now,
              pursuant to that we have expanded minor leagues who see guys that would
              often ordinarily be in their ranks go to the NHL. So they in turn grab
              guys that again would be better off as instructors at say the junior
              level. And in a smaller pro world would gravitate there. by the time we
              reach the junior level, they are doing the SAME THING! Not only have the
              higher leagues taken would be quality coaches from them but they have
              expanded too! Hence we have guys who WOULD HAVE been great youth
              instructors kidding themselves and the world that they are junior
              coaches just like guys in the pros are kidding themselves that they are
              pros. The youth level needs good TEACHERS. But when a good teacher wins,
              he is taken up to the higher level which he may or may not be suited
              for. As you go up the chain, tactics take more priority and at the top
              psychology and salesmanship are pre eminent. So we have the good
              teachers often at levels where they don't belong and half assed
              tacticians/lousy teachers all too often at the lower levels!

              Inn Europe there has been no expansion to speak of, no real talent bleed
              of coaches for the higher levels. And organizations understand the
              importance of development of players and the difference between good
              youth and good elite coaches. They even train coaches better. Over here
              we all to often either bring an ex player into coach pro immediately
              after retirement whether he can coach or not or at the youth level, let
              a guy coach because he went to some silly clinic and forked over a
              couple of hundred bucks for a weekend! Coaches over there go through
              MUCH MORE stringent training and apprenticeship as a rule.

              It is yet another example of the guys who run this game not
              understanding their product nor how to preserve it. they were TOLD we
              lack the players to expand so much, they had to KNOW we lacked the refs
              (after all those at the NHL level were not all up to snuff when we had a
              third less teams with IONE ref per game), and they never even thought
              about what the coaching drain may do at the developmental level. It's
              the same sort of myopia that nearly drove the US auto and steel
              industries into the ground...live outside your means....seek a quick
              buck to cover and damn the future...