Re: All-Time Greats

  • Jean-Patrice Martel
    Message 1 of 69 , Jan 1, 2004
      > --- In hockhist@yahoogroups.com, "DAVE SOUTTER" <dsoutter@m...>
      > wrote:
      > Its really too bad, in a way, that winning any way possible has
      > become the most important thing to the average fan. Maybe I'm a
      > little naïve, but I would ten times rather watch an entertaining
      > game, with end-to-end action, tick-tack-toe passing plays, tough
      > one-on-one situations, dramatic saves, etc. , than to see a team
      > trap all night and come away with a win, just for the sake of a
      > win.

      Are there famous examples of teams that were exciting to watch
      but were losing teams? Oilers of 1979-80 and 1980-81 perhaps?

      Jean-Patrice
    • Bill Croft
      Message 69 of 69 , Jan 6, 2004
        I was working on the radio broadcast s for a team in the B.C. Junior Hockey
        League about eight or nine years ago. Rick Lanz was an assistant coach with
        the team at the time.
        One night, after a game in Nanaimo, my broadcast partner and I were sitting
        in our hotel rom, wghen there was a knock on the door. It was Lanz and Ron
        Delorme (they heard we had beer on ice!). Delorme was in town scouting the
        game for the Canucks, and he ran into Lanz. It was one of thefew times they
        had met since the 82 run to the finals. We ended up shooting the breeze for
        an hour or so, and I brought up the Mulvey incident. There was a great photo
        of Mulvey and Delorme in the Sports Illustrated Year in Pictures. If I
        remember correctly (we did have beer on ice) Delorme said he took exception
        to a cheap shot Mulvey had laid on Lars Lindgren and took him to task for
        it.

        Bill Croft

        ----------
        From: DAVE SOUTTER <dsoutter@...>
        To: hockhist@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: Re: [hockhist] Re: All-Time Greats
        Date: Tue, Jan 6, 2004, 6:28 PM

        This reference to the 1982 Canucks and the previous mention of the 'Paul
        Mulvey/Don Perry' incident reminds me of something that occurred in the 1982
        conference finals between Vancouver and Chicago.

        I don't remember what started it, but Grant Mulvey of Chicago and Ron
        Delorme of Vancouver squared off one game. Mulvey, if you recall, was a big
        winger--about 6-4" and at least 200 pounds. Delorme wasn't small, but he
        was shorter than Mulvey and at least 15-20 pounds lighter. Delorme simply
        manhandled Mulvey in this particular matchup. Mulvey ended up quite bloodied
        and looking somewhat like a puppy with his tail between his legs. It seems
        like that was about the end of Grant Mulvey's NHL career, as he bounced
        around the minors for a few years after. I always wondered if this fight
        was actually a turning point in Grant's career, as the Don Perry episode
        with Paul Mulvey in LA was.

        --Dave Soutter

        How about a sub-.500 team? Like the 1981-82 Vancouver Canucks that
        made it to the Stanley Cup Finals? Towel power! The excitement
        practically brought the whole province to a near riot (they did
        actually riot the next time the Canucks made the finals, in 1993-94).

        Richard.

        hockhist-unsubscribe@onelist.com

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        hockhist-unsubscribe@onelist.com