Re: Some Power Play Questions

  • Richard Krueger
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 30, 2003
      > I seem to recall the Penguins right after Lemieux's return using
      five forwards
      > (Kovalev and Straka on the points). I'm sure that someone will
      correct me if
      > I'm mistaken.
      >
      > Doug

      Yes, the Penguins used five forwards on the power play a few times as
      I recall.

      Richard.
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2003
        Since part one was already ably handled, on to part tow. While it has
        not been a thing that has NEVER happened....aside from the Pens I've
        seen AC do it in the ECHL in the past...it is RARE. In fact I can't
        think of any other times when teams have done it for even a stretch...

        A lot of teams use one forward on the point but quite a few plain old
        don't because they have enough blue liners that are adequate with the
        puck to avoid doing so. It all really depends upon your personnel.
        Remember you also have to have a forward that can be a good point. Not
        all of them can be. You see them fall into tow categories. The most
        common is a heady player that sees the ice well, has good hands and can
        distribute the puck. Guys like Sakic, Oates, Francis, all have played
        point. Others are guys that are smart enough to know what to do and can
        flat out shoot1 Claude Lemieux and Boom Boom Geoffrion fit that mold.
        But the real tendency today is more the cerebral quarterback type. Of
        course a guy CAN be both like Fedorov, Sakic or Hull! But not just any
        forward can be a point. you should be a good skater so you are less
        likely to be caught flat footed if the other team breaks out. You should
        be able to skate backwards proficiently just in case, you have to be
        mobile enough to be able to have the quickness to read the play on the
        point, you have to be able to see the ice so you aren't taking lower
        percentage shots and just blasting into shin guards, you should have
        good hands so you don't get handcuffed and can move the puck fast, and
        your shot should be one that can be kept hard and low for a tip. So it
        gets a bit involved...

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 1, 2003
          Everyone,

          I appreciate all of the replies. Thanks as always. Of course, I have
          one more question : Does anybody know where I can find complete
          Power Play statistics for all seasons since the NHL started to track
          it?

          Thanks again.

          Joe

          --- In hockhist@yahoogroups.com, "William Underwood" <wausport@b...>

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 1, 2003
            Ice time wasn't officially traced until a few years back, so you won't
            be able to trace who was on a PP so easily. About the only thing that
            you might find from the NHL are PP goal totals for players and goals per
            attempt per team. As for more detail, you'd have to try to find old box
            scores and papers from the era to see who got assists on PP's and who
            played in general from articles. We are pretty much new comers to
            detailed stats in hockey. Save percentage wasn't officially kept until
            the 80's; individual player shots on goal and +/- can only be found
            after 1967. So unfortunately we just don't have that big a trail of
            these things officially recorded. There is an effort afoot to get SV %
            done for way back but ice time is something lost to time with the
            exception of one season way back when a paper in one city tracked it.