Re: [hockhist] Re: Kansas City and hockey

  • Marc Foster
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 3, 2003
      On 10/3/03 7:50 AM, "Lloyd Davis" <lloyddavis@...> wrote:

      > Perhaps a stint in the home rink of their minor-pro affiliate, as the Flyers
      > did when the roof got peeled off?

      > June 1979 -- hmmm, perhaps a move to one of the displaced WHA cities,
      > Cincinnati or Birmingham?

      Neither of the Scouts affiliates (Springfield and Port Huron) were regional
      while the Scouts actually played (though Albuquerque was in the CHL as a
      Scouts team in 1973-74), but that's not to say that wouldn't have changed
      affiliations down the road. Omaha became available in 1975-76 but went dark
      rather than become a Scouts affiliate. Oklahoma City was an indy team in
      1976-77 and suspended ops the next season before returning as a North Stars
      affiliate. Wichita's arena would indeed have been ready in time to cover
      the roof collapse.

      I'd be hesitant to use the same arena as my affiliate, however, because that
      effective doubles the dates at the facility. If, for example, the Scouts
      had switched to Wichita for 1979, I think I would rather have played the NHL
      games in Omaha, where there'd been no hockey for several years at this
      point. If we're talking a handful of games then yeah I'd go to Wichita, but
      when Kemper cratered it became unavailable for most of that season.

      > Or maybe just a later move to Denver, with different owners...

      Who knows... But it's been a fun mental exercise...

      Marc