Re: Kansas City and hockey

  • reorgman
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 3, 2003
      --- In hockhist@yahoogroups.com, Lloyd Davis <lloyddavis@s...> wrote:
      > Perhaps a stint in the home rink of their minor-pro affiliate, as
      the Flyers
      > did when the roof got peeled off?

      Didn't the Flyers play some home games at Madison Square Garden ?

      I was a kid back then - but I remember going to a game. So I looked
      it up. it was real hard to get tix to the Garden for the Ranger$ -
      and I remember my dad taking us to a game there for the Flyers. It
      was only one - but at least I was partially RIGHT :)

      The games in 92/93 were the "neutral site" games....in a planned
      Neutral Site game region.

      See below.

      3-Mar-68 California Golden Seals 1 @ Flyers 1 T @New York
      7-Mar-68 Boston Bruins 2 @ Flyers 1 L @Toronto
      10-Mar-68 Minnesota North Stars 0 @ Flyers 2 W @Quebec City
      14-Mar-68 Los Angeles Kings 0 @ Flyers 0 T @Quebec City
      17-Mar-68 Toronto Maple Leafs 4 @ Flyers 7 W @Quebec City
      28-Mar-68 St.Louis Blues 0 @ Flyers 2 W @Quebec City
      30-Mar-68 Pittsburgh Penguins 2 @ Flyers 0 L @Quebec City
      16-Feb-93 Flyers 4 @ Calgary Flames 4 T @Cincinnati, OH
      22-Feb-93 Detroit Red Wings 5 @ Flyers 5 T @Cleveland, OH
      31-Dec-93 Flyers 4 @ Boston Bruins 3 W @Minneapolis, MIN
      2-Feb-94 Washington Capitals 5 @ Flyers 2 L @Cleveland, OH

      Credit to the link I got this info from:

      http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/nsgames.cgi

      Have a great day

      Pat
    • Marc Foster
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 3, 2003
        On 10/3/03 7:50 AM, "Lloyd Davis" <lloyddavis@...> wrote:

        > Perhaps a stint in the home rink of their minor-pro affiliate, as the Flyers
        > did when the roof got peeled off?

        > June 1979 -- hmmm, perhaps a move to one of the displaced WHA cities,
        > Cincinnati or Birmingham?

        Neither of the Scouts affiliates (Springfield and Port Huron) were regional
        while the Scouts actually played (though Albuquerque was in the CHL as a
        Scouts team in 1973-74), but that's not to say that wouldn't have changed
        affiliations down the road. Omaha became available in 1975-76 but went dark
        rather than become a Scouts affiliate. Oklahoma City was an indy team in
        1976-77 and suspended ops the next season before returning as a North Stars
        affiliate. Wichita's arena would indeed have been ready in time to cover
        the roof collapse.

        I'd be hesitant to use the same arena as my affiliate, however, because that
        effective doubles the dates at the facility. If, for example, the Scouts
        had switched to Wichita for 1979, I think I would rather have played the NHL
        games in Omaha, where there'd been no hockey for several years at this
        point. If we're talking a handful of games then yeah I'd go to Wichita, but
        when Kemper cratered it became unavailable for most of that season.

        > Or maybe just a later move to Denver, with different owners...

        Who knows... But it's been a fun mental exercise...

        Marc