Sorry/Hockey Adventure

  • Joep
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2003
      Ah...sorry guys.

      I forgot I subscribe to this list on an old e-mailadress I do not use for
      any other purpose anymore.

      To not totally waste this posting, I might as well describe the details of
      my upcoming trip to the Mecca of Hockey....Canada. I will be leaving The
      Netherlands November 1st.

      That same night we will be watching Toronto play Philly at the Air Canada
      Center

      On november 2nd we will be watching the St. John's Maple Leafs take on the
      Toronto Roadrunners at Ricoh Coliseum.

      November 3rd we have scheduled a trip to the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto.
      I have not been able to find any live hockey that night in the Toronto-area,
      so if anyone has a suggestion, please mail me.

      November 4rd we will be at the Bell Centre in Montreal to see the Oilers in
      action against the hosts.

      November 5th we are scheduled to visite the Quebec Senior game between St.
      Georges and Quebec City in Quebec City.

      November 6th sees our little group of Dutch hockey nuts travel to Ottawa to
      watch the Senators play Edmonton at the Corell Centre.

      November 7th gives us our debut in Victoriaville where the local Tigres take
      on Quebec Remparts in a Quebec Major-junior game.

      November 8th we return to Ottawa for the cracking game between the current
      Stanley Cup-champions and their widely tipped successors, the Senators.

      November 9th is the end of our pilgrimage and we will be returning to
      Holland.

      As you can read, we will be covering a lot of distance in just over a week.
      We will also see seven matches in four leagues in eight days. If anyone has
      a suggestion for something we should not miss regarding hockey in Toronto,
      Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec City or Victoriaville, please do not hesitate to
      contact me. We are there with just one purpose. Sniff up as much hockey as
      we can take, so any tip would be very much appreciated.

      Take care!

      Joep Meijsen
      www.ijshockey.com
      www.tigers.nl
    • Morey Holzman
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2003
        Make an appointment in advance and check out the Resource Centre at
        the Hockey Hall of Fame.

        You can still drive by MLG and the Forum.

        Morey

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2003
          The Forum in Montreal is now a shopping centre; unlike Maple Leaf Gardens it is open to the public. The management of the building has put up a few artifacts (old photos, sections of old arena seats) as reminders of what used to be. It might be worth a visit.

          --
          Lloyd Davis Publishing Services
          304-115 Danforth Ave., Toronto, ON, M4K 1N2
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 1, 2003
            Joep,

            A few suggestions ... perhaps others on the list can fill in some blanks.

            Victoriaville -- I believe there is hockey stick factory here, but I'm not
            sure if they give tours. Does anybody know?

            Quebec -- make sure you see the old, beautiful part of the city. The
            Colisee is located in a much less scenic area.

            Ottawa -- Rideau Hall, the home of our Governor General (Lord Stanley, Lord
            Byng), who is our ceremonial head of state (she represents the British
            crown). In the 1870 ' s Lord Dufferin built a rink on the grounds that
            would eventually become the home of the Rideau Rebels. Unfortunately, in
            November it won't be cold enough to skate. If your group is interested,
            check out the Web site , www.gg.ca the current governor general likes to
            spend money on foreign vacations, so if you tell them you're visiting from
            the Netherlands, they'll probably pick you up at the airport ...

            Montreal -- much to see here. A short walk from the Molson/Bell Centre is
            the site of the old Victoria Skating Rink, where the first indoor hockey
            game was played on March 3, 1875. I understand it is now a parking lot or
            car rental lot surrounded by Drummond/Stanley/Ste Catherine/Dorchester
            Streets. Maybe someone from Montreal has an exact location.

            The old Forum -- just a few subway stops West of the Molson/Bell
            Centre. It's now an amusement center or some such desecration, but it's
            worth visiting just to look around. If you go after dark, I think you can
            still see one of my favorite parts, the escalators (moving staircases),
            which are crossed and illuminated, and appear to be gigantic hockey
            sticks. I think the Metro stop is Alexis Nihon..

            McGill University -- from the front gates you can see the field upon which
            many of the earliest games were played, specifically the Montreal Carnival
            competitions of the 1880 ' s. You might be able to get more information
            from Earl, a prominent hockey historian who works at McGill:

            Earl Zukerman
            Communications Officer
            514.398.7012
            earl.zukerman@...

            McCord Museum -- check to see if they have any hockey exhibitions; they're
            located 100 m from the McGill University field.

            Maurice Richard Museum -- located in the Maurice Richard Arena, which is
            east of downtown Montreal, one Metro stop beyond the Olympic Stadium
            (baseball). It's got lots of hockey memorabilia, and The Sweater, a short
            -- 10 minute -- animated film plays continuously.

            Toronto -- does anyone know if Gretzky ' s and Don Cherry's restaurants are
            still open?

            Kitchener-Waterloo -- probably nothing worth the drive, but I thought I'd
            mention it if only to remember the famous senior hockey team, the Dutchmen,
            of the late 1950s.

            I hope you have a great visit.

            Mike

          • James Milks
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 1, 2003
              A small thing...

              There is a nice statue of Rocket Richard just across the water from
              Ottawa in Hull (now called Gatineau) directly across from Parliament
              Hill. Also, whicle at the Corel Centre, visit the restaurant called
              Finnigan's, which is packed with early Senators memerobilia in honour of
              Fank Finnigan.

              James
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 2, 2003
                It doesn't look as if there is room in Joep's itinerary, but you have
                reminded me to give yet another plug to the William Allman Arena in
                Stratford, Ontario. A classic old barn built in 1924. A number of NHLers got
                their start on this ice in the colours of the Junior B Cullitons: Rob Blake,
                Chris Pronger, Ed Olczyk, to name a few. George Armstrong played here in the
                '40s. Howie Morenz left for Montreal before this rink was built, although it
                is located on Morenz Drive. A couple of notable TV commercials were filmed
                at the arena as well.

                Friday nights are hockey nights in Stratford. The place seats about 2500,
                and they were packing the house last spring during the Ontario Junior B
                playoffs.

                Anyone who finds themselves in southwestern Ontario on a Friday night would
                do well to shell out the seven bucks (Canadian dollars!) and catch a game.
                Some of the rivalries are quite bitter.

                Closer to Kitchener-Waterloo, in neighbouring Cambridge, is the Galt Arena
                Gardens, where hockey has been played continuously since January of 1922.
                The Cambridge Hornets of the OHA Senior AAA league play here, and the Junior
                B Cambridge Winterhawks have played there as well.

                A couple of hockey's most famous Number Nines are associated with the Galt
                Arena Gardens, although neither played there very much. Gordie Howe was
                supposed to play for the Galt Red Wings in 1944-45, but IIRC his junior club
                in Saskatoon objected to his transfer to Ontario. He only played in
                exhibition games. A year later, the Detroit Red Wings assigned him to their
                minor-pro team in Omaha.

                A decade later, Hull played only 6 games for the Galt Black Hawks.

                Terry Sawchuk did play a full season for Galt in '46-47. Notable Black Hawks
                juniors included Pete Conacher, Ken Wharram, Floyd Smith, and Les Binkley.
                Dave Dryden played senior hockey with the Galt Hornets.

                If you're looking for a hockey game, K-W has its share. Major Junior in
                Kitchener, Junior B in Kitchener, Waterloo, and Cambridge. Senior hockey in
                Cambridge. University hockey in Waterloo (at two schools). Lots of hockey
                within a short drive of K-W, from minor pro (Hamilton) all the way down to
                Junior C.

                So, Kitchener is worth the drive if time allows. (And just outside Waterloo
                is the village of St. Jacobs -- the home of Darryl Sittler and a place where
                American visitors often go to be separated from their money. Lots of antique
                shops, a farmers market, an outlet mall...)

                --
                Lloyd Davis Publishing Services
                304-115 Danforth Ave., Toronto, ON M4K 1N2
                416 465 6999 /// 416 462 0230 (fax)
                ldavis@...
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 2, 2003
                  Gretzky's is still open and is still immediately north of Skydome, at 99
                  Blue Jays Way.

                  There are a few Don Cherry's restaurants scattered around Ontario. The
                  nearest to Toronto would be in Brampton, Whitby, and Oshawa/Courtice. Not as
                  many as there used to be.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 3, 2003
                    Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. I am sure we will be
                    using the information during our trip. If there is any interest, I could
                    post a recap of the trip after my return.

                    best regards,

                    Joep Meijsen