Bunny Larocque

  • John Matthew IV
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 4, 2003
      I found this item on eBay:
      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2750699616&category=2868

      I am old enough to remember 1972 and I don't remember Bunny Larocque being on Team Canada then. Is this photo horribly mislabeled or was he really part of that team?

      Thank you.

      John Matthew IV

    • francz
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 5, 2003
        --- John Matthew IV <john.matthew@...> wrote:
        > I found this item on eBay:

        http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2750699616&category=2868
        > I am old enough to remember 1972 and I don't
        > remember Bunny Larocque being on Team Canada then.
        > Is this photo horribly mislabeled or was he really
        > part of that team?

        Bunny was part of that team--at least in training
        camp. I had forgotten all about it until I read a
        story in the Hamilton Spectator about it last
        September.

        Bunny was invited to camp, along with Billy Harris and
        John VanBoxmeer. Harris had long been the consensus
        #1 Amateur Draft pick for 1972 so if TC was going to
        pick A junior player, he was the no-brainer.

        Larocque had a good run with the Ottawa 67's, and was
        drafted #6 over-all that year by Montreal, while
        VanBoxmeer was something of a surprise. He played for
        the Guelph Biltmore Mad Hatters, won the Tier II
        junior championship in 1972 with them, and was a
        surprise first round pick (#14) by the Montreal
        Canadiens, who used to like to do creative things with
        some of their abundant first rounders back then.

        And Sam Pollock had a little bit of involvement with
        Team Canada, too, so there's the helping link.

        Rob Swiniarski

        Brampton ON
        francz39@...

        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 5, 2003
          There's also an article on Joe Pelletier's Summit web site:

          http://www.1972summitseries.com/juniorstars.html

          --
          Lloyd Davis Publishing Services
          304-115 Danforth Avenue