Great Skaters

  • Joe Pelletier
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 26, 2003
      A fun off-season list for your viewing -

      Based strictly on players I have seen play, here are my five most
      entertaining NHLers based strictly on skating ability:

      5. Sergei Fedorov
      4. Denis Savard
      3. Guy Lafleur
      2. Paul Coffey
      1. Gerard Gauthier

      Happy Retirement, #63!

      --------Joe Pelletier----------------------
      http://www.1972summitseries.com
      In bookstores Now:
      THE WORLD CUP OF HOCKEY
      http://www3.telus.net/worldcuphockey

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 26, 2003
        Orr was pretty fun to watch too. Another guy is Scott Niedermeyer today.

        A fun off-season list for your viewing -

        Based strictly on players I have seen play, here are my five most
        entertaining NHLers based strictly on skating ability:

        5. Sergei Fedorov
        4. Denis Savard
        3. Guy Lafleur
        2. Paul Coffey
        1. Gerard Gauthier

        Happy Retirement, #63!

        --------Joe Pelletier----------------------
        http://www.1972summitseries.com
        In bookstores Now:
        THE WORLD CUP OF HOCKEY
        http://www3.telus.net/worldcuphockey

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Morey Holzman
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 26, 2003
          Joe,

          At some point you're going to want to add Stanislav Chistov to that
          list. The kid only shows off about one period in every three games,
          but when he is firing on all cylinders, oh boy. He's got game.

          Morey

          --- In hockhist@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Pelletier"

        • mtlhockey@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 26, 2003
            In a message dated 6/26/03 10:18:27 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
            MOREY_H@... writes:

            > Joe,
            >
            > At some point you're going to want to add Stanislav Chistov to that
            > list. The kid only shows off about one period in every three games,
            > but when he is firing on all cylinders, oh boy. He's got game.
            >
            > Morey

            Also I would put Kovalchuck in that category too. At this point ,IMHO, he is
            the most exciting player in the league today

            Brian

          • wymanmike
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 1 5:36 PM
              Jean-Claude Tremblay - no speed merchant but nobody could get the
              puck off him. He used to kill penalties virtually single-handed.

              Bobby Sheehan - Not one of the game's immortals but he could skate
              fast. Real fast. One day when he was with the Montreal Voyageurs and
              had just finished a practice he went up against Yvan Cournoyer, who
              was coming onto the ice for a Habs practice, and beat him end to end.
            • Jean-Patrice Martel
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 1 6:36 PM
                --- In hockhist@yahoogroups.com, "wymanmike" <justsomeguy@v...> wrote:
                > Jean-Claude Tremblay - no speed merchant but nobody could get the
                > puck off him. He used to kill penalties virtually single-handed.
                >
                > Bobby Sheehan - Not one of the game's immortals but he could skate
                > fast. Real fast. One day when he was with the Montreal Voyageurs
                and
                > had just finished a practice he went up against Yvan Cournoyer, who
                > was coming onto the ice for a Habs practice, and beat him end to
                end.

                For speed _and_ hockey skill, Cournoyer himself was obviously
                extremely gifted. He hasn't been mentioned on this list yet.
                Presumably he wasn't called the Road Runner for nothing.

                For pure speed, Murray Wilson (Canadiens, 1970's) had quite a
                reputation. He was apparently by far the fastest skater of the team,
                he was also the one who could jump highest (whatever use you can put
                that to in hockey). Limited actual hockey skills however, meant he
                usually played less than 10 minutes per game.

                Jean-Patrie