Re: Old Nhl Summaries

  • MoreyH@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 1999
      Scott,

      Thanks for the kind words. While most would think this should be a personal
      reply, there are some items that I feel other members of th egroup might be
      interested in:

      << Morey- I still think you should approach the TH people and show them
      samples of your work, and go for the gusto, so to speak. You have enough
      to warrant your name in big letters, imo. Sort of like joining forces.
      You're the WHA, they're the NHL... You get my drift!

      Think of it as the 73 WHA-NHL merger talks. If the WHA dropped their
      antitrust lawsuit, would be willing to forgo rights to all players they have
      signed, including Bobby Hull, would be willing to pay an exorbitant expansion
      fee and a dispersal fee to all those WHA teams in NHL cities (NY, CHI, LA,
      MIN, TOR, VAN, BOS), the NHL might be kind enough to accept a few more teams
      for membership.

      With TH, same argument. I've exchanged e-mail with Dan Diamond on AOL, and
      even IM's him. His response has been: send me everything you have I might
      be interested. While I appreciate his work (and TH is by far the best
      hockey book ever produced), I'm not willing to go to that kind of trouble for
      no promise of even getting my reference materials back.

      So I reworked my concept. With TH and every other book (except for yours
      Scott, because the WHA is done), it is outdated the moment it hits the
      bookstores. According to TH, the Dallas Stars have never won a Stanley Cup.
      However with my concept, an annual update gets placed right behind the
      1997-98 stats. The book is, in theory as look as I'm willing to produce it,
      never out-of-date.

      Now, let's say TH is updated every year or every other year. How much will
      that cost the consumer if they were to purchase an update to stay current? A
      low estimate would be $700 over 20 years, and that's US dollars.

      It makes more sense to pay a smaller amount, and receive all the updates and
      stay current.

      p.s. Morey- I'll expect you to buy 20 of my books now! (just kidding) >>

      P. S. - Box up the 5th edition and we can talk! BTW, if you need an outlet
      to sell them, contact PNW Sports in Cleveland. Walt is the owner and he is
      on the internet. He's been fantastic to deal with.
    • Bill Underwood
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 1999
        Mory, how do I get a hold of your book?

        Bill

        MoreyH@... wrote:

        > From: MoreyH@...
        >
        > Scott,
        >
        > Thanks for the kind words. While most would think this should be a personal
        > reply, there are some items that I feel other members of th egroup might be
        > interested in:
        >
        > << Morey- I still think you should approach the TH people and show them
        > samples of your work, and go for the gusto, so to speak. You have enough
        > to warrant your name in big letters, imo. Sort of like joining forces.
        > You're the WHA, they're the NHL... You get my drift!
        >
        > Think of it as the 73 WHA-NHL merger talks. If the WHA dropped their
        > antitrust lawsuit, would be willing to forgo rights to all players they have
        > signed, including Bobby Hull, would be willing to pay an exorbitant expansion
        > fee and a dispersal fee to all those WHA teams in NHL cities (NY, CHI, LA,
        > MIN, TOR, VAN, BOS), the NHL might be kind enough to accept a few more teams
        > for membership.
        >
        > With TH, same argument. I've exchanged e-mail with Dan Diamond on AOL, and
        > even IM's him. His response has been: send me everything you have I might
        > be interested. While I appreciate his work (and TH is by far the best
        > hockey book ever produced), I'm not willing to go to that kind of trouble for
        > no promise of even getting my reference materials back.
        >
        > So I reworked my concept. With TH and every other book (except for yours
        > Scott, because the WHA is done), it is outdated the moment it hits the
        > bookstores. According to TH, the Dallas Stars have never won a Stanley Cup.
        > However with my concept, an annual update gets placed right behind the
        > 1997-98 stats. The book is, in theory as look as I'm willing to produce it,
        > never out-of-date.
        >
        > Now, let's say TH is updated every year or every other year. How much will
        > that cost the consumer if they were to purchase an update to stay current? A
        > low estimate would be $700 over 20 years, and that's US dollars.
        >
        > It makes more sense to pay a smaller amount, and receive all the updates and
        > stay current.
        >

        > p.s. Morey- I'll expect you to buy 20 of my books now! (just kidding) >>
        >
        > P. S. - Box up the 5th edition and we can talk! BTW, if you need an outlet
        > to sell them, contact PNW Sports in Cleveland. Walt is the owner and he is
        > on the internet. He's been fantastic to deal with.

        > ONElist: your connection to online communities.

      • Jeff Wood
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 12, 1999
          >From: TCarde@...
          >To: hockhist@onelist.com
          >Subject: Re: [hockhist] Old Nhl Summaries
          >Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 01:17:36 EDT
          >
          >From: TCarde@...
          >
          >In a message dated 8/31/99 8:34:09 PM Central Daylight Time,
          >JWoodrow19@... writes:
          >
          ><< Chris Osgood was credited with an appearance in the 1997 All-Star Game,
          >he
          >didn't play he was injured >>
          >
          >Even though he didn't play, he did receive an all-star selection, doesn't
          >that count? Or did he send someone in his stead... I think one year Modano
          >was selected, and instead ?courtnall? went?

          I know this was posted ten days ago but, Guy Hebert was an injury
          replacement for Osgood.