Re: Hockey Players From The Far North

  • MoreyH@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 1, 1999
      NM comes to mind, as does MS, AL, KY, DE and TN
    • MoreyH@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 1, 1999
        Mike Christie was born in Corpus Christi
      • Scott Surgent
        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 1, 1999
          I figured OK was unrepresented! Being an Okie (barely) myself, I hoped I
          could take a face-off and get into the registers as the first OK-born
          player. Now that dream is over.

          I do not know of any AZ-born players offhand, nor Nevada. Anybody know?

          > Oklahoma is represented by Burr Williams, born in Okemah (also home to
          > Woody Guthrie). My guess is his family was there as part of an oil run,
          > and later went back to Duluth. In an ironic twist, he spent over five
          > seasons with the Tulsa Oilers, so maybe he had some family there in the
          > region.
          >
          > Marc
          >
          > --
          > * Marc Foster ICQ #18755448 *
          > * President mfoster@... *
          > * The Hockey Research Association http://www.hockeyresearch.com *
          > * End the frustration of stats collecting, donate to the HRA archive. *

        • Joe Pelletier
          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 1, 1999
            Marc Foster wrote:

            > I think with the length of the winter nights up there it's hard to
            > see the puck...

            On the contrary my friend. I live in northern British Columbia,
            not too far from the Yukon and Alaskan borders. While we
            get more daylight in the winter than they do, we still have plenty
            of night hockey games in the great outdoors. At least we used
            to, the kids still do. Games by moonlight are great. We used
            a flourescant puck mind you but still, that's what you got to
            do around here. I remember games of shinny as a kid where
            the dads would drive their trucks right along the playing area
            and would shine the headlights for us!

            Scott Surgent said:

            > The fact that one player from the Yukon and 4 from the NWT have played in
            > the NHL seems about right considering that those two regions together have
            > fewer than 200,000 people. Maybe everyone is so far apart they can't get
            > enough together for a proper game!

            True enough, but for games of shinny you only need 8 people for
            3 on 3 with two goalies.

            I'm sure most will agree that kids today don't learn the creativity
            skills that older generations knew, and that's because kids don't
            seem to play a lot of shinny on the frozen lakes and backyard
            rinks like Wayne Gretzky or Gordie Howe did. In the far far
            north, this is not a problem and I bet there's been a few overlooked
            kids up there especially n populated areas like Yellowknife or Whitehorse
            where organized hockey would be stronger and the outdoor frozen
            ponds are nearby.

            Ah! I can't wait for the lake freeze over!!

            Joe
            Hockey Over Time
            http://www.lcshockey.com/history
          • TCarde@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 1, 1999
              Well, on the year that a Texas team wins the cup, I can't tell you who was
              the first to play from here in Texas, but I do know that Brian Leetch was the
              first Texan Born player to win the cup....
            • TCarde@xxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 1, 1999
                In a message dated 9/1/99 11:54:04 AM Central Daylight Time,
                surgent@... writes:

                << I do not know of any AZ-born players offhand, nor Nevada. Anybody know? >>

                Greg Adams played for ASU, I belive, but, that doesn't mean he was born in
                Ariziona...
              • Joe Pelletier
                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 1, 1999
                  Scott Surgent wrote:

                  > I do not know of any AZ-born players offhand, nor Nevada. Anybody know?

                  I can't find any NHL Arizona or Nevada born players. But here's
                  what I came up with. By no means is this complete, just what I came
                  up with -

                  Florida - Dallas Eakins
                  Virginia - Scott Lachance, John Craighead, Eric Weinrich
                  Texas - Brian Leetch, Mike Christie
                  Oregon - Jere Gillis, Grant Sasser,

                  I'll see what else I can come up with later.

                  Message 8 of 23 , Sep 1, 1999
                    TCarde@... wrote:

                    > Greg Adams played for ASU, I belive, but, that doesn't mean he was born in
                    > Ariziona...

                    Correct. Nelson British Columbia's Gus Adams played two years
                    at Northern Arizona University. I guess since it was in the northern
                    part of Arizona they were able to recruit such a fine player :o)

                    Now I'd be a dollar that no hockey player came out of New
                    Mexico, but former NHLer Howie Young, one of the games
                    all time characters, is in New Mexico and is planting the
                    seeds of youth hockey in the state.

                    Joe
                    Hockey Over Time
                    http://www.lcshockey.com/history
                  • Bill Underwood
                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 1, 1999
                      The Far north isn't all that well scouted really. The hockey up there is not as well organized
                      nor are the leagues very big! An interesting development of the 70's was that as indoor rinks
                      sprang up more throughout Canada in general, less kids learn their hockey on the pond than
                      indoors. I think that in a way, there is a negative here. On the ponds, where there is no real
                      structure, kids learn to really free wheel and be creative. Also through playing shinny, learn to
                      be great puck handlers. They aren't really doing that so much any more, evrything is structured!
                      And since the dawn of Nintendo...even less kids want to freeze their butts off on a pond, you can
                      only imagine way up North how much worse that is! So unless your Dad does and outdoor rink and
                      you don't have a computer...

                      The North really lacks the facilities and population base to really produce much. There is no
                      really big city to create a strong junior division or concentrate kids. Manitoba, who also lags
                      behind the other provinces in player production at least has Winnipeg, a major city. The Martimes
                      and North don't, but the Maritimes have a lot of smaller sized cities, are not as isolated and
                      again have more people. It's tough enough to really travel up North during winter, let alone, run
                      a league. Now a kid played this summer for me from the Yukon and I hear that they are trying to
                      do a little bit more, but it is TOUGH! These kids really have to go down to Alberta or BC at a
                      fairly youing age (by midget) to develop! The one concept that may help is to do like Alaska and
                      take your elite midgets on the road for a ton of big tournaments but that is Alaska oil money at
                      work there.

                      Joe Pelletier wrote:

                      > From: Joe Pelletier <fuzzymonkey@...>
                      >
                      > MoreyH@... wrote:
                      >
                      > > From: MoreyH@...
                      > >
                      > > Hockey News did a story a few months back on Steve Durbano, who's selling
                      > > vacuum cleaners in Yellowknife.
                      > >

                      > Thanks Morey, I'm very familiar with that great article. However
                      > I'm looking more from players from the far far north. I don't think
                      > Sanderson or Boyer spent a whole lot of time up there, but were
                      > born there. I have no idea about Mercredi, Baltimore or Vaydik
                      > though. I wonder how well scouted these areas are? With all
                      > the opportunities in the frozen north to play outdoor shinny you
                      > think there'd be a few more guys to make it at least to the junior
                      > level.
                      >
                      > Joe
                      > Hockey Over Time
                      > http://www.lcshockey.com/history

                      > ONElist: your connection to people who share your interests.

                    • Scott Surgent
                      Message 10 of 23 , Sep 1, 1999
                        > Greg Adams played for ASU, I belive, but, that doesn't mean he was born in
                        > Ariziona...

                        Actually he played up at NAU in Flagstaff. I'm pretty sure he's not a
                        native zonie. ASU has a club team but I know of no one who went on to the
                        NHL.

                        Scott Surgent
                        Cubicle A4-E5 sector 7g subsector PSA-208
                        ASU

                      • MoreyH@xxx.xxx
                        Message 11 of 23 , Sep 1, 1999
                          Jim Brown played 3 G with L.A. in 82-83. He was born in Phoenix.

                          Also, Greg Adams of Coyotes played college hockey at Northern Arizona U.
                        • MoreyH@xxx.xxx
                          Message 12 of 23 , Sep 1, 1999
                            Val James is from Florida (Ocala I think)
                          • SaberJen14@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 23 , Sep 1, 1999
                              On the WCHL list, there are a couple of guys from Alaska, so I asked the
                              question over there. Here is the answer:

                              "Scott Parker who played for the Aves last year. Ty Jones has a contract
                              with the Blackhawks. Brian Swanson just signed with Edmonton. All of
                              those players are from Eagle River, Alaska, which is my home town, and
                              went to my High School.

                              Scott Gomez also has a contract with the NJ Devils.

                              However Scott Parker was the first ever Alaskan to actualy play in a
                              regular season NHL game last year.

                              Ryan"