New Website

  • JWoodrow19@xxxxxxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 31, 1999
      I plan on developing a historical web site for the Toronto Maple Leafs and I was wondering if anybody would provide information on who I should contact or what web sites I should visit.
    • Marc Foster
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 1, 1999
        > From: JWoodrow19@...
        >
        > I plan on developing a historical web site for the Toronto Maple Leafs and
        > I was wondering if anybody would provide information on who I should contact
        > or what web sites I should visit.

        Both the projects and links pages on the HRA website feature links to
        several team historical pages. You might give them a look.

        Marc

        * Marc Foster ICQ #18755448 *
        * President mfoster@... *
        * The Hockey Research Association http://www.hockeyresearch.com *
        * End the frustration of stats collecting, donate to the HRA archive. *
      • Mike Ewer
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 1, 1999
          If you need any help finding ex-Leafs' European stats (anything not on the
          Slate-a-base), let me know. I know quite a few went to Europe.

          Fred Perlini was a top scorer for my local team in London.

          Mike

          European Hockey.Net - www.eurohockey.net - Hockey sans fronti�res!
        • JWoodrow19@xxxxxxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 1, 1999
            I would appreciate if anybody knew where I
            can find NHL summaries for 1917-18 to 1990-91 and 1993-94. I am trying to have a summary for every
            Leaf games to put on my web site.
          • JWoodrow19@hotmail.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 5, 1999
              I tried to contact Josh Atkins but I had messages returned.
              If you are out there Josh can you answer when the Hornets where
              the Leafs
              farm team? I am developing an historical site about the Leafs
              and I am doing on a part about their farm teams. Also, can I
              use some of your information on your page I will give you credit
              and put up a link to your page.

              Thanks,
              Jeff Wood
            • JWoodrow19@xxxxxxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 9, 1999
                I want to know who the Maple Leafs farm teams have been
                in their franchise history. I am doing a section on farm
                teams for my web site.

                Thanks,
                Jeff Wood
              • Marc Foster
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 9, 1999
                  JWoodrow19@... wrote:

                  > I want to know who the Maple Leafs farm teams have been
                  > in their franchise history. I am doing a section on farm
                  > teams for my web site.

                  In the CHL:

                  Tulsa 1964-73
                  Oklahoma City 1973-76
                  Dallas 1976-78 (shared with Chicago)
                  Cincinnati 1981-82

                  Marc

                  * Marc Foster ICQ #18755448 *
                  * President mfoster@... *
                  * The Hockey Research Association http://www.hockeyresearch.com *
                • Martin
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 9, 1999
                    Saint-John's Maple leafs 1991-current
                    Newmarket Saints 1986-1991
                    St.Catharines Saints 1982-86

                    that's the one I remember

                    Martin

                    http://goaliesarchive.homepage.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 10, 1999
                      Before that they sent players to Rochester and Cincinatti of the AHL. They also worked with the
                      Syracuse AHL team in the early 70's (in fact they called a behindd the back pass that a plauyer
                      mde in a gasme once "the Syracuse pass") and also had New Brunswick when it first came into the
                      AHL in the late 70's.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 10, 1999
                        Of yeah, i also forgot that they worked with Victoria of the WHL. In fact, in one of Punch
                        Imlach's books, I recall that they sold the team to Phoenix in '67.

                      • DDiam48@xxx.xxx
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 10, 1999
                          Hi;

                          I can't help you with much, but I'll give you example of how far you can go
                          if you really want to research the depth of a farm system. In the days before
                          the unrestricted Amateur Draft was introduced in 1969, it wasn't uncommon for
                          an NHL team to have numerous affiliates. Here are the Toronto Maple Leaf farm
                          clubs during the 1965-66 season. In each case, the first team in each
                          grouping is the Maple Leafs direct affilaite. The others teams in each list
                          are the farm clubs of the affiliate. The Maple Leafs held the rights to many
                          of the players on these clubs.

                          1) Toronto Marlboros - OHA Jr. A
                          York Steel - OHA Jr. B
                          Toronto Marlboro Midgets - OHA AAA
                          Ottawa Capitals - OHA Jr. A

                          2) Rochester Americans - AHL
                          Trois-Rivieres Reds - OJHL
                          St. Marguerite Juveniles - QAAA
                          Winnipeg Monarchs - MJHL

                          3) Victoria Maple Leafs - WHL
                          Calgary Buffalos - AJHL
                          Calgary Stampeders - AAHA
                          Calgary Rangers - AAHA
                          Melville Millionaires - MJHL

                          4) Tulso Oilers - CPHL
                          London Nationals - OHA Jr. A
                          Marham Waxers - OHA Jr. B

                          I have one suggestion. The Hockey Hall of Fame has the Stan Obodiac
                          Collection in their archives. He kept deatiled scrapbooks from all three
                          Toronto daily newspapers for each year of the Maple Leafs existence from 1930
                          to 1980. They would be a valuable resource for finding this information.

                          James D.
                        • James Karkoski
                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 10, 1999
                            >From: JWoodrow19@...
                            >
                            > I want to know who the Maple Leafs farm teams have been
                            > in their franchise history. I am doing a section on farm
                            >teams for my web site.

                            36-39 Syracuse Stars IAHL
                            39-56 Pittsburgh Hornets AHL
                            45-47 Hollywood Wolves PCHL
                            64-67 Victoria Maple Leafs WHL
                            63-64 Denver Invaders WHL
                            60-67 Rochester Americans AHL
                            67-69 Phoenix Roadrunners WHL
                            59-61 Sudbury Wolves EPHL

                            They also were with Saginaw IHL in the 70s, Jacksonville EHL in the 60s.
                            They might have been in Spokane WHL in the early 60s as well. They also
                            sent players to one team in the QHL, which I'm can't remeber and must
                            have had either a WHL or an AHL team in the space between Pittsburgh &
                            Rochester.

                            James
                          • James Karkoski
                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 11, 1999
                              From: DDiam48@...

                              > Here are the Toronto Maple Leaf farm clubs during the 1965-66 season. In
                              each case, the
                              >first team in each grouping is the Maple Leafs direct affilaite. The others
                              teams in each
                              >list are the farm clubs of the affiliate. The Maple Leafs held the rights to
                              many
                              >of the players on these clubs.
                              >
                              >1) Toronto Marlboros - OHA Jr. A
                              >York Steel - OHA Jr. B
                              >Toronto Marlboro Midgets - OHA AAA
                              >Ottawa Capitals - OHA Jr. A

                              I think the whole list that got posted shows just how well the NHL really
                              controlled just about every level of hockey in the pre-67 expansion days.

                              I'm not sure if you have access to other systems lists, but I sure would
                              appreciate it if you could post the systems for the other NHL clubs as
                              well if you have them.

                              Another Leaf farm team which I recalled is EHL Charlotte in the 60s. And
                              Toronto had a shared affiliate with Chicago in New Brunswick 78-82. After
                              looking around a bit, I would guess that the Leafs sent their AHL players
                              to Hershey after Pittsburgh folded and that they shared Rochester with
                              the Canadiens before taking fuller control in 1960.

                              James
                            • orangeco@xxxxxxx.xxx
                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 1, 1999
                                James Karkoski wrote:

                                > From: James Karkoski <austin@...>
                                >
                                > >From: JWoodrow19@...
                                > >
                                > > I want to know who the Maple Leafs farm teams have been
                                > > in their franchise history. I am doing a section on farm
                                > >teams for my web site.
                                >
                                > 36-39 Syracuse Stars IAHL
                                > 39-56 Pittsburgh Hornets AHL
                                > 45-47 Hollywood Wolves PCHL

                                Sorry for the delayed posting. I've been so busy the last few weeks.
                                The Wolves association with the Maple Leafs (via the Hornets) may have
                                started a bit earlier. Near the end of the 43-44 season the Wolves were
                                sent the Hornet's 2nd leading scorer, Lloyd Roubell(sp?). The Hornets
                                were going nowhere that season and were long out of a playoff spot. On
                                the contrary, the Wolves were doing very well and were going to meet the
                                EHL champion Boston Olympics. So Roubell was sent to beef up the Wolves
                                attack. I have no idea if any of the other Wolves players were part of
                                the Maple Leaf system.

                                DS