Re: [hockhist] Leif Holmqvist

  • Björn Wästerlund
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 1, 2003
      Starting with the one thing I do know is that Dyck never played one single game for Holmqvist's swedish club AIK (Stockholm ). That he never played a game in Elitserien could be found in the roster archive at eurohockey.net, and the thing that puzzles me is that Dyck is not recorded for one single game in a AIK jersey during his swedish year in the club's official player data base (said to include all first-team games) at:

      http://cgi.algonet.se/htbin/cgiwrap/aik/stat_spel_ishh.cgi

      ("förnamn"=first name, "efternamn"=surname and "sök"=search)

      So, if he was seen as a compensation by the Racers, AIK wasn't being very thankful to say the least. :-) Ed instead had to spend the season in second level team Boden, a town with 18000 residents and just 50 miles south of the arctic circle.

      For finding the details about individual player transactions I can't think of a good internet source, and a little ashamed to say it, there isn't even a single swedish- or english-language tribute site with info on his career in my knowledge. The only thing available is small pieces of information in interviews or parts of general discusssions in articles about the first swedes in the NHL saying things like: "he was back in AIK the next year". In all, it doesn't seem to have been a very dramatic event when it occurred. Although, one thing that has to been taken into consideration is that transfers being made between Europe and NHL in those days were less formalized and politics and prestige of all sorts were involved. For example we can take Holmqvist's own try-out session with the Boston Bruins in 1968, where he in fact was offered a contract but a very quick (and strange) move by the swedish federation resultued in a clause that would mean a threat to his future career outside the NHL...and so he stayed put, that time.

      However, if no-one on the list manages to dig up some more info in the coming weeks (days?) I will, by a coincidence, receive a shipment of the swedish federation's official yearbooks from 1971 through 1977 and I'll see what can be found there...

      (B.t.w...a question to the list administration: how many swedes are we on this list, and how many have been active posters so far?)

      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 1, 2003
        Hi Sebastien & Björn,

        When I have time I will look into your questions Sebastien.
        The answer might be buried in old issues of the Swedish
        hockey magazine "Svensk Ishockey" from that time.

        As for Dyck, Joe Pelletier and I had a profile on him on
        the old 'Hockey Over Time' site.
        Here it is...

        Ed Dyck

        Born: Warman, Saskatchewan October 29,1950
        Height: 6'
        Weight: 175 Ibs
        Catches: L
        Position: G
        Number: 1,30,35
        Nickname: -
        GP: 49 (-)
        Mins: 2453 (-)
        GA: 178 (-)
        SO: 1 (-)
        GAA: 4,35 (-)
        Cups: -

        Did you know that: Ed Dyck's only NHL career shuout came on February 16,1973 in a 5-0 win. It was Vancouver's third shutout ever (Dunc Wilson had the first two) and second at home. Ed also stopped the second ever penalty shot faced by a Canucks goalie on Febraury 29,1972 vs Detroit and Guy Charron. (Dunc Wilson faced the first penalty shot.)

        Ed was born and raised in Warman which is about 10 miles North of Saskatoon. He started his junior career for the famous Estevan Bruins (WHL) in 1967-68 where he was the backup goalie to Chris Worthy who went on to play for Oakland and California in the NHL. Ed won the WHL championship with Estevan that season, but his stint there was pretty shortlived as he went on to play for the Calgary Centennials (WHL) halfway into the 1968-69 season.

        Ed was one of WHL's busiest and best goalies for the next two seasons. His Calgary didn't win the WHL championship but they came close. Ed had the best goal against average in the 1970 playoffs (2,81 GAA). He also had the best average after the 1970-71 regular season (2,53 GAA). During that 70-71 season Ed won the Del Wilson trophy as WHL's outstanding goalie. He also made the WHL All-Star team in 1970 and 71.

        After his fine performance in the 1970 WHL playoffs he got drafted by Vancouver (3rd choice - 30th overall) that same summer.

        Ed started his pro career in the AHL for the Rochester Americans in 1971-72, and also saw some time with the Seattle Totems. But later that season he was called up by Vancouver where he did well (3,66 GAA) under the barrage of shots he faced.

        In 1972-73 he backed up Dunc Wilson admirably and played 25 games for Vancouver. Ed also played 13 games for Seattle. He continued his backup role in Vancouver the following season (12 games), this time to Gary Smith. That 1973-74 season was Ed's last in the NHL.

        In April 1974 Ed was the first player signed by the Indianapolis Racers of the WHA. At the time of the signing Dyck said: " It's a kind of special feeling being first, but at the same time,I realize the responsibilities and challenges that go with it." He played 32 games during the 1974-75 season for Indianapolis, finishing with a 4.36 GAA. If Ed played for strong junior teams he certainly didn't in the pros. The teams were very poor defensively which his 21-64-14 record is a good indication of. During this time the soft spoken Ed was considered to have one of the fastest gloves in all pro hockey. His reflexes were lightning fast and he often made spectacular saves with his glove hand. He liked to work a lot with his stick and was always cool under pressure.

        After the WHA stint Ed was loaned to the Swedish division 2 club Bodens BK for the 1975-76 season as a compensation for the signing of the Swedish goalie Leif "Honken" Holmqvist, a longtime member of the Swedish National Team.

        Jan-Erik "Biffen" Nilsson,the coach of Boden was exstatic at that time to get Ed. " I don't understand how Indianapolis could release Ed and buy "Honken" instead. "Honken" isn't in the same class ", coach Nilsson said.

        Ed became an instant hit with the Swedish fans. He trained with Bodens BK for the first time on August 27, 1975,the same day as Boden was to meat local rivals IFK Lulea in a friendly game. To the delight of 2.563 people in the stands, Ed shut out the opponent. They chanted his name over and over. He was an overnight success. The fact that Ed had two fellow Canadians (Ron Smith - ex NY Islanders and Jeff Ablet (ex-Forth Worth - IHL) as his teammates made the transition to a foreign team a lot easier.

        At an early stage it became apparent that Ed was too good for the Swedish Division 2. But instead of trying to get back to the WHA or NHL Ed decided to retire, only 26-years of age and not even at the peak of his career. It was really a shame because he had a lot more to give.

        Pat
      • Björn Wästerlund
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 5, 2003
          A quick glance into those yearbooks of the swedish federation I was talking about didn't give me any specific information about Holmqvist's contract situation, but one thing that caught my eye was that the Lions officially was registred as a "amateur" team. This status was needed in order to be eligible to play in all of the european countries that they played games in (according to the book).

          I was just wondering if this "amateur" status for the team meant that the player contracts in some way had to be altered? (and in the process the opportunity to reduce the length of some expensive contracts arised...?)

          The reason for Dyck ending up in Boden is also a bit unclear. However, there have been quite a few Boden players making the journey down to Stockholm and playing for AIK in the Elitserien, meaning that good relationships between the two clubs almost certainly was there.

          So, now it's up to Pat's magazine collection... :-)

        • Houda
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 5, 2003
            (Björn wrote)
            So, now it's up to Pat's magazine collection... :-)

            ---> Hi Björn,

            I just sent you two articles that I found on this matter. (in Swedish)
            If you want you can explain it to the list if it gets any clearer.

            Pat
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 5, 2003
              In the world of hockey, the word amateur is relative at best...in the
              old days, some pretty professional teams managed to remain officially
              amateur. Even today there are major anomalies! Classic example, a guy
              can play in the worlds and the Olympics with pros and even be paid to do
              it, yet the NCAA calls him amateur but a major junior kid a pro...Back
              in the 80's Olympians got a 25,000 dollar "allowance" while your average
              major junior get about 60 bucks a week CANADIAN. The NCAA said back then
              that you can only play in the off season with pros and only in
              exhibitions...not only did the US Olympic team played games against CHL
              teams that COUNTED in the standings but since when were the Olympic
              games an "exhibition tournament". Yet Olympians were welcomed back with
              welcome arms but god help the poor dreg that played so much as one game
              of major junior. You can get payment under the table in tier two but
              that doesn’t stain you, unless the league is major junior.

              Amateurism in hockey has always been more of "you are an amateur because
              I, the governing body, want you to be for my own purposes and say so. If
              the concept somehow is jagged with your rules you change the rules like
              a chameleon changes color or announce some sort of special dispensation.

              The concept of corruption and hypocrisy is not limited to pro hockey. In
              fact, I submit that in many ways the amateurs can teach the pros a few
              lessons in insincerity and general sleaze.

[...]

              hockhist-unsubscribe@onelist.com

              Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            • Björn Wästerlund
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 5, 2003
                Thanks Pat, it was interesting articles, even though there still might be some parts that are a bit difficult to grip and up for interpretations.

                First of all, "Honken" and London Lions/Red Wings team-mate Tord Lundström seemed to have their contracts with their swedish clubs (AIK and Brynäs) ready for their respective signatures early on in the summer, and the main reason for Detroit to end their contracts (the article doesn't use the exact terms, but it's understood without saying) was their roster size and the salary costs it inflicted them with.

                As for Dyck, AIK was entitled to a monetary compensation of $40 000 for Holmqvist , but for some reason (not disclosed in the article) the Racers weren't going to pay that amount of money, and a settlement outside of the standard contract for transfers between Europe and the WHA had to be made. AIK accepted Dyck (and some other players) from the Racers organization as a partial payment for Holmqvist for the agreed value of $20 000. According to the article (written in October of 1975) the Racers still had the remaining $20 000 to pay, and I would doubt (my own assumption here) that they ever showed up on a swedish bank account.

                So, now it's up to Pat's magazine collection... :-)

                ---> Hi Björn,

                I just sent you two articles that I found on this matter. (in Swedish)
                If you want you can explain it to the list if it gets any clearer.

                Pat

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • Sebastien Tremblay
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 5, 2003
                  Thanks a lot to both of you guys. The information is really appreciated.

                  Sebastien