Re: [hockhist] Re: Pulling the goalie

  • John Matthew IV
    Message 1 of 17 , May 3, 2003
      Richard Spiegel wrote:

      > Is it just my imagination, or do game-tying-goals with the goalie pulled
      > seem to be much more common in the playoffs than in the regular season
      (much
      > like 9th inning comebacks in baseball)?

      They do seem very common when Vancouver trails Minnesota.

      John Matthew IV
    • Philip Sutton
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 14, 2003
        Not sure on any stats but recently seen a coach Chris McSorley pulling his
        netminder on a 5 on 3 in the first period with the score 0-0 also he did the
        same when losing 1-0 at the beginning of the third on a 5-3. In the 0-0 game
        the opposition cleared the puck the goalie came back on and then McSorely's
        team regained the puck and scored. In the 1-0 game the tactic worked and the
        game finished 1-1. Told by fellow supporters he often does this. Any one
        else know of this?
      • Jean-Patrice Martel
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 14, 2003
          > --- In hockhist@yahoogroups.com, "Philip Sutton" <p.a.sutton@t...>
          > wrote:
          > Not sure on any stats but recently seen a coach Chris McSorley
          > pulling his
          > netminder on a 5 on 3 in the first period with the score 0-0 also
          > he did the
          > same when losing 1-0 at the beginning of the third on a 5-3. In the
          > 0-0 game
          > the opposition cleared the puck the goalie came back on and then
          > McSorely's
          > team regained the puck and scored. In the 1-0 game the tactic
          > worked and the
          > game finished 1-1. Told by fellow supporters he often does this.
          > Any one
          > else know of this?

          Of course there's the (in)famous example of April 5, 1970, where the
          Canadiens (playing the Blackhawks) needed at least a tie or 5 goals
          to make the playoffs, after the Red Wings let the Rangers beat them
          in the afternoon (game mentioned recently on another post).

          Down 5-2 in the third period, coach Claude Ruel came to the
          conclusion he wouldn't get the tie, so he went for the goals, and
          started pulling his goalie every time the Canadiens took control of
          the puck.

          The tactic failed miserably, and Chicago scored five times in an
          empty net, the first goal coming at 12:27 of the third period, and
          the last one at 19:57 (with three seconds left, did they really think
          they could still score 3 goals??).

          Oddly, Pit Martin got a hat trick, but not a single goal in an empty
          net.

          The game ended 10-2 for Chicago, even though the shots on goal were
          very even: 38-37 for Chicago.

          The game is described in detail in "The Game I'll Never Forget"
          (published 2002), it is Tony Esposito's entry (the Blackhawks were
          tied with Boston for first place going into the game, so the game
          meant a lot to them too).

          Jean-Patrice